Are you a gun snob?

Sevens

Just curious, would you guys be willing to let strangers at the range try out your guns?
Have... many times. You usually swap shots... put a mag through mine, I'll put a mag through yours. Good fun. Only time I've ever shot a Colt Cobra was done this way. He got to shoot my long slide .45.

shootniron

Yeah, I am a gun snob...as I only like the guns that I like and the virtues of the ones that I do not like have no merit with me. And, I tend not to put a lot of stock in what other folks like or tout as best.

skeeter

I think a "gun snob" is someone who tries to impress others where I try to impress myself by having a pride of ownership with my Python.
I also love my Glock 29SF for it design and ability to be accurate, always function and I would choice it over the Python if my life depended on
only one firearm.

PzGren

I have owned and shot more guns than I can count and came to the conclusions that quality input equals performance output.

I could not always afford the guns that I have now but I thoroughly enjoy the quality and performance edge that my guns give me, as my car does, my kitchen knives, and my casting equipment.

To own a Korth and a SIG P210, shooting it and not keeping it in the corner of the safe is a luxury that I am working hard for every day.

If someone else is enjoying another gun with a lower price tag, I can completely understand it and his pride in his best gun.

Quality and price tag should not be mixed up; a good S&W M10 that was bought from a L.E. sale is a heck of a fine gun and my S&W M65 is one of the guns that I enjoy as much as any other gun.

Nathan

I've only been a gun snob one time that I remember. A guy asked me to look at his Highpoint. It was jammed up so bad that the mag couldn't be ripped out and the slide, holding a live roung wouldn't move. I struggled with it safely for a bit. Then looked it over and noticed a big frame crack! I rol him to find a dumpster for it so no body got hurt screwing with it!

I told this story to a guy at work who said they were fine and to box it up and ship it to them like that!

geetarman

I was waiting for the local indoor range to open about a month ago. The guy in front of me owns a custom gunshop and they make high dollar 1911s out of 1911s.

Anyway, I asked him if he had looked at the Ruger 1911. He said that he had not. We continued talking and I mentioned that I had recently shot a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 and that I really liked it ( and I do ).

He mentioned that if anyone wanted a QUALITY 1911 style firearm, it had better say "Colt" on it.

He sells his Colts for upward of $4500 and I don't doubt he produces fine firearms.

I do not have any guns that cost anywhere that much and mine are made in different places. I shoot Rugers( Prescott). Springers ( Croatia ), CZ ( Czech Republic ), Sigs ( Part German, part American ) and Glock ( Austria ) and they work for me.

I think you miss out on a lot when you get into the mindset that brand "X" is the "best". . .whatever that means, and refuse to consider that many countries have a lot of history building quality firearms for a multitude of tasks.

Geetarman:D

mkk41

Yes , especially when it comes to cheap zinc-castings or pot-metal guns like Ravens , Jennings , Hi-Points , and the like.

Pahoo

Gun Snobs just can't keep their mouths shut !!

Gun Snobs wouldn't own a Mossberg.
Or, a Gun Snob could be one that would only own Mossbergs and think as well as say, that those who don't, are fools. ...... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Terry A

I'm real partial to high capacity polymer pistols like Springfield Armory & Glock. I prefer to always carry a semi rather than a revolver. But, I have several revolvers so I don't hate them or anything. I'm also very brand loyal with certain firearms and ammo. And certain gun stores. But noe of this is any different than prefering one meal over another, or vehicle over another, etc. If someone has a firearm, I'm all for them! Doesn't matter what brand or caliber, at least they own a firearm.

Stevie-Ray

I'm a mid level gun snob. I'd like to move up to elitist gun snob but just can't afford to.
:p Same here. At least I thought so until I read that a snob wouldn't own a Mossberg or Taurus. I've got one of each.:eek: My SPX is the M4 I'll never have. Doubt I'll miss it either, due to the performance of the SPX. And if I could find a perfect 352, I'd likely have another Mossberg.;)

PzGren

What do you think it means to be a gun snob?

To be a gun snob means to me that someone is only brand/price/style-oriented and overlooks the practical virtues. While I have a few nice rimfire pistols, I have enjoyed every one of the over 100,000 through the cheap 22A - despite many parts breakages.

Stark contrast, isn't it? Well, only in price, they do the same to entertain me.

DSCF4403.jpg

DSCI0036.jpg

Now this one did not stay long with me, lack of general quality and accuracy precluded it from a place in my heart - and the safe. In other words, it did not match my expectations from a handgun. It has to be kept in mind that a collector will have a very different approach to selecting his guns than I do.

Italian22MAG.jpg

MrGreen

No...I don't have enough guns to be a snob. Maybe someday I will. I hope even if I get a huge collection of guns that I still will not be a snob. Snobs are annoying.

Skans

I do not use the terms "gun snob" and "snob" interchangeably. A true snob is not someone I care to be associated with. A gun snob could be someone who admires or even demands precision, design, fit and finish in a firearm beyond its simple function. Other people's definitions obviously differ - that's why I asked the question - I really wanted to know if my thinking is way off on this.

Quite a few posters here claim that their firearms are nothing more than tools. I don't view 90% of my firearms in this manner (My Glock 17 and whatever gun I'm concealed carrying tend to be in the 10% exception - I do see these pretty much as tools). That means that 90% of my guns have some "other" appeal to me - beyond simple function. It could be design, fit & finish, precision, age, rarity, historical significance, etc. - something that makes it much more than just a tool to me. Maybe I'm really more of a "gun enthusiast" than a true "gun snob".

Don P

It could be design, fit & finish, precision, age, rarity, historical significance, etc. - something that makes it much more than just a tool to me. Maybe I'm really more of a "gun enthusiast" than a true "gun snob".

My point exactly. If I like it for looks, feel of it, price I buy. I honestly cannot remember how many people have told me how ugly my PX4 is and I bought it because of how it looks. The look of the pistol appealed to me. We all have different taste as far as what looks good or not. As they say to each there own.

Sevens

Skans, your last post really pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

So many folks have some kind of very sterile and stiff qualifications for what they will own. I hear of the guys who will not keep any handgun that gives them any manner of a "failure rate" that they deem unacceptable. I hear of so many people that are constantly trying to get rid of guns because they want to rid themselves of "too many different calibers." My bro-in-law really doesn't want to buy or almost even own any handgun unless he can also successfully carry it concealed. A 6-inch revolver? He doesn't ever want to own one of these. :confused:

I have a couple guns that are tools. My EDC, my "car gun", my Mossberg 500, those fills roles and they get used and handled according to their job description. But my 1006, my .30 Carb B'Hawk, my Model 17? These are entirely different animals and they get treated as such. And my expectations are much different.

johnbt

"higher cost seldom equals better gun"

I have found the opposite to be true most of the time. But what do I know, I've only been shooting since the early '50s.

Slamfire

I am probably a snob. I like older guns, shoot them when ever I can.

Probably a cartridge snob too.

I shot my Garand this weekend in a 100 yard highpower reduced match.

A guy asked what cartridge I shoot, and I told him I shoot both cartridges, 308 and 30-06.

Kind of sums up my attitude. ;)