Are there any non MIM 1911s made anymore?

Sterling

Not that its a deal breaker for me anyway my PT1911 and SR1911 WORK JUST fine imo. But this issue comes up alot at my job and on many forums and thought maybe someone on this forum would know. Ive read dont know if true or not that Kimber and Colt plus other "top tier" 1911s use them. Fine with me just that every so often the ole timers at the range start talking smack about how sorry guns are made today. Who knows.

I don' think there are any mass production 1911s that use NO MIM parts. Colt uses probably fewer than anyone else, and Kimber probably uses the most. If you want zero MIM, you either buy a custom pistol or you buy something else and then swap out parts.

Llama Bob

Unless they've changed something Dan Wesson does not have any MIM parts, or any questionable parts of any sort in wear/stress locations.

Their RZ45 is a bargain.

FrankenMauser

When the 'ole timers' give you a hard time about MIM parts, tell them that the reason their post-'64 Winchester 94 looks so bad is because the receiver is a graphitic casting.

If there's anything an anti-MIM range lizard hates more than MIM, it's cast parts. :eek:

Don't even get started on the part where they find out there were some, god forgive me.... sintered receivers, as well...
Oh, the humanity.... :(

JDBerg

I'd rather bury this dead horse than to keep beating it, MIM technology today is a quantum leap better than it was thirty years ago, when I was buying component parts for the aerospace industry, which developed & pretty much perfected this technology, although there is no such thing as "perfected". You can have the MIM fire control parts replaced with tool steel parts, although I was told it was a waste of money to do this on my SW1911, and I left it alone. Or you can buy a Dan Wesson 1911.

TMD

Funny how some people will complain about mim parts in a gun but have no problem at all driving their car will all those mim parts in their abs system or fly in an airplane with all those mim blades in the turbine / jet engine.

mete

A number of proper answers here !! :D The gun designers had their bean counters run the show. Using a new technology and using it in inappropriate parts -- of course they had problems !
Mean while other industries were serious and worked hard to solve the problems . Some of the uses , in cars for example ,suprized even me [ the metallurgist ] These things were the same story as 'castings' .
Move on ,put MIM behind you. There's proably a new technology coming to worry about !! :p

polyphemus

Fine with me just that every so often the ole timers at the range start talking smack about how sorry guns are made today.
The "ole timers" are probably complaining about those part lines,they are easiest to see on the hammers,sometimes running straight down the middle,others on the side.But once you notice them they get sharper and clearer every time you look and and become almost unbearable to even touch
so they take their grief to the range and they bitterly express their sorrow and frustration.

peggysue

Nothing wrong with MIM. It is used to go to space. Kind of like people worries about GMO seeds and plants. They will kill me.

Brutus

This is an interesting post. I'd be interested to know just what parts are being supplemented with MIM product.

WVsig

Supposedly, Dan Wesson's new G.I. 1911 is also no longer in production.

It is Technically CZs GI gun and it was a limited production run.

MIM is fine if it is spec'd properly and used properly. There are some parts where it makes sense. The problem is not MIM itself it is when you are using it to pinch pennies and you cheapen it to the point of failure.

agtman

Supposedly, Dan Wesson's new G.I. 1911 is also no longer in production.

It is Technically CZs GI gun and it was a limited production run.

That was my understanding as well - a "limited production run" for CZ to test the 1911-waters, and specifically the so-called USGI-spec/Retro market.

Technically, "limited run" doesn't mean "out-of-production." More like, "on hold" until they determined what the sales figures indicate.

KyJim

I own multiple Dan Wessons and they have no MIM. Colt has three or four, I forget which. Early Sig 1911s had no MIM but that has long since changed. AFAIK, if you can find them, Norinco 1911s have no MIM. When you get into the "semi-custom" makers, MIM parts are rare. However, the highly regarded Springfield Professional does have some MIM parts.

Now, whether MIM makes a difference is a different topic and WVSig pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, most folks who are spending $2,500+ for a 1911 pistol want the the manufacturer to go the extra mile and use non-MIM parts. Wilson Combat once used a few MIM parts but now do not and even charges extra for their 100% "Bullet Proof" parts pistols (the "Elite" variation in several of their models).

Rinspeed

The vast majority of shooters will never know if MIM are good enough or not. ;) It's quite the joke, in my opinion, that you see so many "shooters" that have such a grand opinion but then you see their pistols for sale a year later with 400 rounds shot through them. :confused:

Some people shoot, far many more of them talk about shooting. MIM parts either fail early or last for several thousand rounds. For a bunch of years Wilson used MIM parts in their lower end 1911s, including the hammer and sear. Way too many twits called and complained that their "expensive" 1911 had MIM parts in them. Wilson said that's fine, we will just use tool steal parts and raise the price $400.