Are the snubies being underated?

shafter

People can learn to adapt to pretty much any handgun if they want to, but why would someone choose something uncomfortable when there are so many options out there?

pete2

I wouldn't know how long it takes to clear a failure in a revolver. I have had magazines fall out of semis, I even had the bottom of the mag fall off a couple times. Then there is the fail to chamber the first round in the mag or in the middle of the mag, double feed, premature slide lock. Broken buffer shut down. Beretta pistol accidently engage safety on reload. Magazines puke the ammo out in the mag carrier or when drawn from the carrier. I did have junk get under the extractor in a revolver once, had to shoot single action a few shots. In my experience malfunctions are at least 25/1 in favor of the revolver. And that's with full sized semis.

Shadow9mm

IMHO snubbies are over rated. Been there done that. Yes they are about the same size and similar in weight. However the Semi will hold more ammo, and is much faster and easier to reload. Also they will generally have a better trigger pull, lighter and shorter.

If you like your snubbie and train with it, by all means run it. But you could wind up being out gunned.

BourbonCowboy

Until recently, I only carried my HK VP9sk. I love that little pistol. But about a month ago, I picked up a Charter Arms Southpaw, and added a Relentless Tactical leather IWB holster. Now that's what I carry when I'm just out and about in my (small) town or in towns nearby. If I go to a larger city, I've got the HK and a T-Rex Sidecar with an extra mag.

For me, it's just a matter of comfort.

tallball

I've been shooting handguns regularly for 40 years.

I own small autos and small revolvers.

I prefer to carry one of my snubby revolvers, but will carry my LCPII if I need something even smaller.

I shoot revolvers better than semis, in general.

I've had far fewer malfunctions when shooting revolvers. I don' think that semiautos are inherently less reliable as machines, but they are more susceptible to problems due to ammo (and of course magazines) and limp-wristing.

Alan0354

Reliability is one thing revolvers shine. You know how it can jam, you know how to prevent it. It is very predictable. You know lint and stuff will jam the revolvers, if your life depends on it, it's your duty to check regularly to make sure the ratchet where the hand turn the cylinder is clear of lint, threads and other foreign stuffs. Then you are good to go.

You cannot predict when a semi auto would fail, a weak round, shaky hand(tense situation) all will cause the semi to jam.

Like I said many times already, we are not comparing snuby with semi with 17 rounds, for the weight and size, the semi are limited to compare are 7+1 round. You have to ask whether you rather have 2 more rounds or better reliability. I emphasize, if you choose to pack a bigger gun like Glock 19 that carries 17 rounds, that's a different story. Of cause if I decide to carry a bigger gun, high capacity semi will be my first choice, I can absolutely agree to that. I won't pack a big revolver.

I can say for sure all the years of shooting revolvers, I yet to have a single failure. I don't recall even a miss fire. When the gun gets really dirty from shooting, the cylinder might bind a little against the end of the barrel, but nothing you cannot fix by pulling the trigger or hammer harder. You WILL get the shot out. Besides, if your life depends on it, you BETTER make sure the gun is clean, don't pack a dirty gun. Revolver is very predictable that after you clean it, it'll be good for like 100 rounds.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Reliability is one thing revolvers shine. You know how it can jam, you know how to prevent it. It is very predictable. You know lint and stuff will jam the revolvers, if your life depends on it, it's your duty to check regularly to make sure the ratchet where the hand turn the cylinder is clear of lint, threads and other foreign stuffs. Then you are good to go.

You cannot predict when a semi auto would fail, a weak round, shaky hand(tense situation) all will cause the semi to jam.

I can say for sure all the years of shooting revolvers, I yet to have a single failure. I don't recall even a miss fire. When the gun gets really dirty from shooting, the cylinder might bind a little against the end of the barrel, but nothing you cannot fix by pulling the trigger or hammer harder. You WILL get the shot out. Besides, if your life depends on it, you BETTER make sure the gun is clean, don't pack a dirty gun. Revolver is very predictable that after you clean it, it'll be good for like 100 rounds.

While I agree there is a simplicity to revolvers, it’s not like how a semiautomatic pistol will jam is a mystery. There are failures to extract, failures to eject, failures to fire, and failures to feed. Many of these can be solved with a tap/rack.

One of the points above seems to be that if you maintain the revolver well it will function. That’s also true of semiautomatics. Cleaning and proper maintenance will reduce the frequency of malfunctions. That’s true with most mechanical items. And frankly I think you’re selling revolvers short by saying good for 100 rd. My S&W Model 19 certainly has gone hundreds of rounds between cleanings. I’ve had semiautomatics go a thousand rounds between cleanings. I’ve used semiautomatics in defensive firearm courses where we are shooting ~500 rd a day for two days in a row. One of the gentlemen in that class was using a SIG P238, a rather small pistol. Firearms can be surprisingly reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a number of firearms to include the Snubbie, the Pocket 380's and the Mico 9mm's. I do not carry the Snubbie because of the reliability. All my guns are reliable as much as reliable can be. I have one 380 Pocket gun that has endured thousands of rounds without one single failure (other than a few primer failures on cheap reloads) and I trust it as much as I trust my snubbie. That said, any gun made can have a failure.
One poster on another forum keeps posting over and over that People only choose small guns and snubbies because of convenience and not practical purposes. Well IMO all pistols, revolvers are tools of convenience. We all have life experiences and those experiences dictate what we carry. And there is no need to throw out the convenience factor and carry something that is not, simply because some on the internet condemn your choice. I will NOT carry any firearm that is uncomfortable day in and day out.
I know my limitations, know my guns limitations. And I train and practice diligently to become proficient with what I do carry. It is a waste of time to convince others what they should or not EDC. What is good for them is not good for me. And to be honest, I do not care what they carry.

Shooting firearms proficiently is a slow train coming. There are no shortcuts, you have to put in the Time, the money (and it is expensive) and be willing to make sacrifices to get there. I started off with large guns and semi autos and as the years went on, I moved to smaller guns which I now shoot very often (before the crap hit the fan). They work for me, and I carry them daily. A large heavy gun would not. But it works for others and that is great. My hat is off to them.

Last edited:

zeke

My ideal next smaller could be a Berretta TomCat 32 IF it doesn't have such BAD reputation of frame cracking.

Had a Tomcat, but it went down the road. If memory holds, the trigger didn't release until almost touching the frame. Any follow through threw the poi off, even at close range. Might not matter if going for the belly button.

Might consider trying one before buying if possible, or it may fit the purpose anyway.

Carmady

I looked at an Armslist Tomcat in a parking lot, and the chamber end of the barrel could move about 1/4" - 3/8" left to right when it was pivoted forward. I passed. The seller said that was normal, but I've had a few of the .25's and a .22 and none was like that.

Alan0354

I looked at an Armslist Tomcat in a parking lot, and the chamber end of the barrel could move about 1/4" - 3/8" left to right when it was pivoted forward. I passed. The seller said that was normal, but I've had a few of the .25's and a .22 and none was like that.

No, that's not normal. I have 3 Berreta 950BS which have the same tip up barrel. It does NOT move side to side.

Off the topic, those little 950s are very reliable. I only have problem with Blazer ammo that the shell won't clear the chamber. I shot FMJ ammo, over 1000 rounds through the 3 guns, other than one dead primer, not a single failure with the brass shells. Later, after I got a little into gun smithing, I polished the chamber a little, even the Brazer worked fine. Talk about small, this is a dimension smaller than the snubby or the 380s. I even made a hoster that when I put it in, it fits in my back pocker and feel like a thicker wallet!!!

Yes I agree with Carl The Floor Walker, there's no right or wrong gun to carry. You carry what you feel comfortable with. You want to carry a Glock 19, good for you. People like me, convenience is important, I don't intend to go out to a fight, if I carry one, it would be "just in case of one million to one". The Barreta 950 serves me well, even the snubby is too bulky. Later on, I even switch to a Freedom Arm 22 magnum. Those little thing is more powerful than people think, I actually Chronograph them. The 1" barrel clocked 1,100fps, the 1 3/4" clocked an amazing 1,300fps. I won't joke around about those little thing. Now, that does NOT translate to NAA mini revolvers. I like the Freedom Arm so much I bought a 3" NAA 22 magnum, it clocked a little less than 1,100fps...........For a 3" barrel, that's a shame.

I think it's because the gap between the barrel and the cylinder is wider on the NAA than the Freedom Arms even though it's in spec. Wider gap leak gas, must be the reason the bullet are slower. That's the thing about revolvers, the barrel to cylinder gap is important, too wide, you leak gas, too narrow, it will bind after shooting like 100 rounds. You want it to be tight, then you have to clean more often.

To me, even if I have only a Freedom Arm, it's better than a knife. I did practice shooting with it, it's not hard once you find the right way to shoot it, I can shoot with one hand easily. Practice is the key.

Too bad, Freedom Arm stopped producing those mini revolvers before 2000. I have 4 and I am happy.

Last edited: