Anyone Else "Done" With Double-Stack Autos?

P71pilot

For me its all about the grip feel and size. The best double stack grips out there the H&K P30/HK45, and the walther P99/PPQ. I am down to one pistol, a 1911, but by golly, the walther ppq grip was just better.

DHart

For me its all about the grip feel and size. The best double stack grips out there the H&K P30/HK45, and the walther P99/PPQ. I am down to one pistol, a 1911, but by golly, the walther ppq grip was just better.

Ah... but but you forgot two of the double stacks with the best grips: the M&P and Sig P320, and the one with by-far the most wide range of grip sizes and modularity - the Sig P320!

If I could only have one pistol it would be either the M&P40 or the Sig P320 40 Full size.

As for being "done" with double stacks - forget the idea, they are THE mainstream of modern defense pistols; we won't be done with them until we transition to electronic phasers.

bannockburn

Love them both; single stack and double stack. I tend to gravitate to the single stack models like a Kahr CM9 during the warmer months and the double stack guns, like a Ruger SR9c during the cooler/colder weather months.

Pistolay

I love my LC9s for when I need maximum concealability, but my double stack SR9c is my primary EDC, without a doubt.

Overkill777

Nope, I'm just getting started with them. I started carrying a 1911 and revolvers. I'm not an old timer, but I was just interested in those. I got a glock 19 because of the capacity and find it to be much more comfortable to carry.

Actually my 1911 hasn't come out of the safe since I got the 19. I'm considering selling it to fund a long slide glock.

CajunBass

carrying a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable. It's supposed to be comforting.

And if it isn't "comfortable" I'm going to leave it in the safe, where it's neither comfortable or comforting.

I've tried full size, mid size, and downright tiny. Revolver, semi. Single stack, double stack, all metal and polymer. Good holsters and bad. Cheap belts and good. Inside, outside, coat pocket, duty belt and holster...you get the idea.

I've finally settled on a single stack LC9s.

Doesn't mean I'm "done" with anything...other than looking for a gun to carry. I'm still looking for guns. Never know what I might find.

benEzra

I switch between a single-stack and double-stack depending on what I'm wearing. The double-stack does take a lot more thought to conceal well, whereas the single-stack disappears under most anything.

lefteye

I'm not done with a double-stack but I doubt if I could handle most of them. My SR9c is a hand full for my small hands. A 1911 is far more comfortable but I don't carry any of mine. I'm much more likely to carry my LC9 (or even my LCP.)

Scorch

Yep, I'm done with them. Finished up my third hi-cap 1911 build, probably won't need another one. So yes, I'm done.:D

Spats McGee

Administrator
No, I'm not. When I decided to switch from carrying a 1911, I went looking for a polymer 9mm. Most of the ones on my "short list" were double-stacks, and I'm quite happy with the one I chose. In fact, I've considered buying another one just like it just to have an extra on hand.

chaim

For years I was "done" with double stack for carry, but still enjoyed them at the range. I was a 1911 guy, and when I moved away from that (for carry, still love them at the range), I went even smaller (I bought a Kel Tec Pf-9 which I never liked or trusted enough to carry, I got a LCP for pocket carry, I carried a SIG P290 most of the time when in a carry state, and when in a revolver mood I had a Taurus 85CH for over a decade). I don't live in a carry state, I only carry when in a state which will take my non-resident UT permit so I didn't carry full time. Thus, I never really got used to it and felt like I was broadcasting that I was carrying with even the smallest gun, so I kept going smaller. Then, last year, while on vacation, I took one of my winter carry guns when camping in VA in the spring. I found my double stack SIG P250 Compact carried just as easily as my P290 once I was there for a few hours and got used to it. With a good holster it isn't uncomfortable, and with all but the lightest color or tightest shirts it even works with tucked IWB carry. So, if it isn't much harder to carry and conceal a large gun, I decided that is the way to go. They are larger so they fit my hands better, they are heavier so they are more comfortable to shoot (which means more practice so I'm better with them, plus they give faster follow up shots), and all that before factoring the larger capacity. Now, in addition to my P250 Compact, I have a CZ P01 for carry, and I may pick up a Glock 23 as well (or maybe, since that is roughly the size of the P250 Compact and the P01, I may go with the G27 to cover all bases as far as sizes).

Of course, if I lived in a carry state and carried nearly full-time it is possible my choices would change and I'd mainly carry the P290 for the convenience. Hopefully, I'll be able to say soon (I will probably be moving to PA this spring or summer).