Anyone Else "Done" With Double-Stack Autos?

doofus47

I feel you.
I've taken a long time to come to double stacks as I have tiny lego ninjago-size hands.
For the longest time, I used only single stacks and figured I was stuck that way.
There are double stacks that work for me though: Ruger SR9c, Walther P99c, CZ100. I think that if weight is your bugaboo, you might gravitate to a doublestack with a customizable grip and smaller capacity to find your joy.

happy shooting.

bn12gg

My double stack Capitan Hi Power has never (true) failed to cycle a 9 mm round. Give up on perfection in reliability as well as dream boat looks -- Nope !

.02. David. :)

chuckscap

I like my Springfield full size 1911 45 ACP. I've just got to lose a few pounds to make it a bit more concealable. I carry two spare magazines, if it's not enough the zombies will get me.

Gunslick

Im not done with them but I prefer a full size 1911...period. I love them. I love to add parts and polish and make them better. But I do like Springfield xd's..over glock.

seeker_two

I feel you.
I've taken a long time to come to double stacks as I have tiny lego ninjago-size hands.
For the longest time, I used only single stacks and figured I was stuck that way.
There are double stacks that work for me though: Ruger SR9c, Walther P99c, CZ100. I think that if weight is your bugaboo, you might gravitate to a doublestack with a customizable grip and smaller capacity to find your joy.

happy shooting.
It's not as much weight is where the weight is centered, AKA balance. Single-stack autos & revolvers that I have carried before (SIG, 1911, S&W Firestar, LC9 etc.) have most of the weight forward of the trigger, making them more balanced in my holsters. The double-stack polymer autos tend to have all the weight in the grip, making them unbalanced in my holsters....IMHO, of course. And this is with a good belt (Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer 5-stitch) and holsters (Desantis, Bianchi, Blade-Tech, Alameda). I even use Perry Ubee suspenders.

I know this is subjective, but I just wanted to see if my opinion is a solitary one....

michael t

I don't like way the fit my hand . my 1911's and PPK/s has served me for years and I will continue. To carry one. Never need more than what a 1911 held doing my Army career .

doofus47

seeker_two
The double-stack polymer autos tend to have all the weight in the grip, making them unbalanced in my holsters.

I might have missed this earlier, but are you carrying you holster mounted "high" (as opposed to deeper iwb). I would suppose that would magnify any feeling of weight in the grip.

If you are, I'm not criticizing your choice just saying that setup might be contributing to the sensation of unbalanced.

seeker_two

seeker_two

I might have missed this earlier, but are you carrying you holster mounted "high" (as opposed to deeper iwb). I would suppose that would magnify any feeling of weight in the grip.

If you are, I'm not criticizing your choice just saying that setup might be contributing to the sensation of unbalanced.
Now that you mention it, my SD9VE does tend to feel more comfortable when worn IWB than OWB. Also, the IWB holster (Blade-Tech Klipit Ambi) allows more of a forward cant than my kydex pancake holster. I may try it in a Desantis Thumbbreak Scabbard like I use for my LC9, but I don't know if I want to keep the SD9VE much longer.

Pilot

Double stack autos fit my hand the best, and I like them the most, but I also have single stack autos that I also like.

DHart

Nah... my single stacks are all safe queens. I would much prefer a meatier double stack in my hand should the dark day ever come when I have to pull a pistol in my defense. They shoot better, feel better (softer recoil), and have more capacity - all of which is far more important to me than trying to achieve the sensation that I'm not carrying a gun.

And I find it very easy to carry and conceal a mid-size double stack with just a t-shirt and shorts. (Good gun belt and holster is the key! And not wearing girly-tight shirts.)

Sig P320 .40S&W Compact w/14 rounds of 180 gr. Federal HST

Same pistol - but with 9mm slide on it:

Last edited:

tpelle

Nope! Not me! I carried a 5" 1911 for years. Lately I got to wondering if 8 rounds would be enough, what with the way the world is going these days. Switched to a full size CZ75B, then back to a Hi Power.

The Hi Power, with a set of those Uncle Mike's rubber grips that they used to license from Craig Spegel, is no thicker through the grips than a 1911, but with an increase in ammo capacity of 50%. I will admit, though, that the CZ75B is a little too thick for the summer months.

As someone else mentioned, the right belt and holster makes all the difference.

ritepath

No....

While I probably won't be using any double stack (except my G2) for conceal carry, I sure won't be going single stack for my range fun guns. (except my 220)

AKexpat

I notice most of these posts address Glocks. Have never owned one, have shot a couple (.40 and .45), and just disdain their ugliness and the no safety aspect (other than the trigger). And they have polymer (light) frames.

You may have guessed that I am a 1911 guy and have been for 30 years (I'm 64). I have not-large hands but have long fingers. I really like 1911 .45 ACP 5" single-stack guns, but I strayed once.

Back in the 90's I thought that the Para-Ord .45 P-14 should be the cat's pajamas. I bought one at a LGS (for $350) that started as a kit frame/mag and had many extraneous 1911 parts completed by another person prior to my purchase. The trigger pull was less than 5# and smooth. I have no idea where the slide came from (have never seen another like it before or after). All GI type parts (hammer, grip safety, slide stop, thumb safety, A1 MSH, short trigger, etc.). Probably SARCO, Numrich, or something else from Shotgun News, back in the day.

It ran very well, even with HP ammo (the guy had done a good job throating the barrel). No complaints there, but...

It was an aluminum frame. When empty, it was very light. When loaded with 13 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber, the weight/balance changed drastically, and as the pistol was fired (emptying the mag) the POA/POI changed because of the balance.

I sold it and kept my other 1911 steel single stacks (2 ea .45 and 1 ea .38 Super), and have never looked back.

The balance between an empty and fully loaded steel 1911 is basically imperceptible to the hand.

I am not planning to go to war. If a home invasion occurs, I have 2 extra 7-round loaded mags at my disposal on my person. In reality, if I can't get it done and win with seven rounds, well...

Jim

Oysterboy

because of what I've heard a lot of dislikes for Glock I'd never considered one. For years I let the others make my decision about them. One day I wanted a 10mm pistol and I went to my local range to look at them.

They only had a G29 gen 4 and I thought oh a Glock huh? Let me hold it. I liked how it fit my hand and heavy for it's size. Very well rugged and solid so I said I'll take it. First thing I had to do was to get some pinky extensions for the mags because the little pistol is a beast to hold.

Damn, I love that little bugger. :D

fl_rich

Nope... Not done with them... buying more of 'em! Just because the OP don't like em doesn't mean the rest of us don't have a place for them.

Boncrayon

Depends solely on your grip comfort, and dislike to reload your magazines often enough. Most police use a double-stack for full use in a combat situation. If it is uncomfortable for you, try a 1911 .45 ACP.

dgludwig

For me, just about any type of firearm has a place in my "inventory". I carry revolvers, subcompact .380s, midsize 9mm and full-size .45 ACP autos, which one always dependent on the weather, social circumstance, nature of the neighborhood I'm in, or maybe nothing more than a whim of the moment.
Three of my favorite carry handguns are double-stack autos; a Smith Model 6906, a SIG Model 226 and a SIG Model 227 (which I traded "up" to from a Model 220-a tipoff as to whether I generally prefer double-stacks to single-stacks when my hide is on the line).