Am I insane to even consider this one ? The 1911 search continues ...

Officer's Match

Hard to predict breakage type failures, but this thing feels like it was tuned. I could fire one round, have someone place a 5 gallon bucket where it landed, and proceed to put pretty much all the spent brass in the bucket. It's the most consistent "ejector" I've ever had - only thing that comes close is my HK P2000SK.

I bought my PT used at Gander Mountain. It had been owned by one of their firearms salesmen, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a "pick of the litter". At $359, I think I did pretty OK.

ranburr

I have worked on numerous Taurus 1911 pistols (more when they first came out). The quality is just not there. They are extremely rough when you tear one down and really take a look at it. More parts than not are slightly out of spec. For the same money you can find a new Springer or a used Colt.

dosjoel

Taurus or Colt

I was faced with the same question. What to buy. So for $800 and change I got this Colt Combat Elite. I have to think for the difference in price the Colt is a better value.

colt4.jpg

Last edited:

RobertSB701

Had my Taurus for about 6 months now and am quite pleased. I removed the 80 series safety. I didn't care for hammer lock, so I was happy to see it go when I installed Cylinder & Slide Hammer/Sear Set. With a Titanium Sear Spring I got a smooth as butter trigger pull that comes in a hair over 2 lbs. Yes of course its strictly a range gun. I guess the argument could be made given the money I spent on parts I could have gotten a "better" gun, but I probably would have done similar upgrades anyway.

Sturmgewehre

Officers Match, if you're happy with your PT1911 that's all that's important. Honestly, for $359 I would have probably bought it too as a beater gun. While the guts might not be perfect, the slide and frame of the PT1911's are well made and are forged. For a base gun they would be ideal... especially at the price you paid.

I would be more inclined to buy a PT1911 than a new entry level Kimber.

I have worked on numerous Taurus 1911 pistols (more when they first came out). The quality is just not there. They are extremely rough when you tear one down and really take a look at it. More parts than not are slightly out of spec. For the same money you can find a new Springer or a used Colt.
I have to agree completely. The Taurus 1911 is just not up to snuff inside. That does not mean it wouldn't be an acceptable range gun, it just isn't heirloom quality in my mind and is less likely to last the long haul. Pay a little bit more (the Taurus 1911's have really gone up in price since their introduction) and get a Springer or Colt.

LanceOregon

Loupran:

As long as you are not planning to carry a 1911 concealed for personal protection, then you are clearly not insane.

If you are, however, you then need to check yourself into the nearest mental hospital and begin intensive therapy right away. ;) ;)