Am I insane to even consider this one ? The 1911 search continues ...

So is the opinion thus far that the Gun Guy and Bane are wrong about the Taurus?

Have either of you handled or shot one before
I have handles, disassembled, and shot the Taurus. It shot much better than I thought it would but I was not at all impressed with the build quality. It just does not seem like it will hold up like the better names and is definately not as well made.

Beware any advice from any "gun expert" that works for any gun rag or website...or makes their living from guns in anyway actually.

alloy

only because Danzig posted about Taurus non believers....im not one, i owned a Taurus once and it was a nice firearm.

i just think going from Baer to Taurus and being more happy with the Taurus quality or features or whatever the salesman said...maybe something is being overlooked, or whatever makes a Baer highly prized among those loyal owners, is being missed. maybe im wrong.

robctwo

You are back to the Baer. Buy it, shoot the heck out of it. Carry it, game it, plink it. Get into reloading. I have two, one in .45 and one in 9mm. Also have an Ed Brown Exec Target, SA Black Stainless and S&W1911PD. I shoot my Baers better. I will own a Dan Wesson, Colt (probably commander 9mm), Wilson and Fusion, maybe in .38 Special, if things go well over the next few years. I do not expect any of them to out shoot the Baer PII .45 with 1.5" guarantee.

I have rarely heard anyone say they bought a Baer and regretted it. Not never, just rarely.

If you are buying a .45 to shoot, you will spend more on ammo than the gun within a year or two. If you are buying one to sit around, it doesn't matter what you get.

I like the looks of the Colt Combat, set up just like my PIIs. Needs fiber optic front sight.

Texas1911

The 1911 market is very true to the "You get what you pay for" motto within most cases. The Taurus is probably on par with what Colt is passing for a 1911 these days, just with sub-standard components (see MIM).

I handled a new Colt National Match and it rattled more than a ball bearing in a tin can dropped down a flight of stairs. Not only that, but the trigger was heavy and not crisp. The older Series 70 Colts are to a higher calling in my opinion, and worth the money.

Springfield is OK, Kimber is OK, both are nothing to really complain about for their price points. Alot of the Kimber price tag is in aesthetic features since the far majority of their line is relatively the same operation wise. I have noticed that Kimbers tend to be built a bit too tight and have some creep in the trigger. Therein lies the 500 - 1000 round Kimber break in period.

Custom guns like Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, etc. are all nice guns, but I question if they are really worth their price tags. Especially the entry level offerings from some of them. The high grade stuff has never ceased to impress me, but for $4300 it damn well better.

In the end I went with STI. The trigger is crisp like any other high end 1911 and there are plenty of options available. You could spend $700 on a Series 70 Colt, and hundreds in parts and fitting later, you'd have a pistol as good as an STI. Granted, it's fun to tinker, and Colts are beautiful guns.

In the end, buy something quality the first time. Whether it's an STI, Colt Series 70, Kimber Custom II, etc. you will at least have a good platform to work off of. Buying something on the lower end like the Taurus or a Springfield GI, and expecting great things is kinda setting yourself up for failure. Many people will argue that it's not worth spending $Xxxx on a 1911, but to each their own.

As a sidenote, there is a reason why that "Professional" runs a custom Kimber, and it's not because Kimber produces the best pistol. There is a similar reason why he is giving Taurus such a blooming review, and why the Millennium 24/7 from Taurus has been the NRA's Golden Child. I would not be surprised to find a full page ad from Taurus in both magazines, hint hint. One must be aware of these things when decided for yourself.

LouPran

Thanks for all the advice ... I think my search will continue a bit.

Right now I'm leaning towards a custom shop Colt and will take a look at some of the Dan Wesson's when I get a chance. Also going to look at some SA/TRP's.

Something tells me this won't be the last 1911 I'll own. Heck I might even pick up the Taurus as a point of reference if it goes on sale.

Officer's Match

I own several Colt, and I'd never sell them. I own a Kimber that runs quite well (it was made in 2003, and I've not experienced the QC snafu's that seem to be the recent phenomena). I own one PT1911, and it is, for some reason I have a difficult time explaining, my favorite 1911 to shoot. I can rapid fire it with complete and utter ease, as if it were a 9mm 1911. I freakin' love my PT1911.

IMG_0001_1.jpg

skoro

Insanity?

Heck, no. If you get a good Taurus, you'll be happy with it. If you get a bad one, you'll curse the brand forever. Personally, I won't roll the dice and get one, but that's just me. A friend has a PT1911 that he likes a lot. I've fired it on several occasions and it definitely has that 1911 feel and function. Nice pistol.

He also has a Taurus .380 that's been back to the factory for repairs. It took months and came back with the same problem. So, with two Taurus handguns, he has a good one and a bad one. I hear way too many of these Taurus stories. You pay your money, you take your chances.

skoro

stick with the PT1911 if considering a Taurus.

If I had to own a Taurus, it'd definitely be a PT1911. But the hard truth is I'd never buy one. If I was getting another 1911, it would be a Colt, Kimber, Springfield, or some other more mainstream make. But that's just me. Folks who like Tauri are welcome to 'em. They'll never get competition from me at the checkout counter. ;)

Smaug

Looking in from the outside

1911 owners are sure a volatile group.

There are opinions that MIM parts are "bad" but not much data backing it up.

I had a Ruger P90 whose whole slide was investment cast. This was also considered cheap and no good by the 1911 folks, but the fact is that gun was at least as reliable as any 1911. Also, it was at least as accurate as any 1911 for the same price. ($500)

Check out The Sixgun Journal. This guy reviews four different budget 1911s (Auto Ordnance WWII, Colt 1991, Springfield Mil-Spec, and RIA midsize) and points out exactly what he likes about each gun and why. He gets down to the MIM parts issue. What's more, he not only gives his opinions on why a certain part is bad, but then he replaces it with what he considers a quality part, shoots the gun again, and notes the difference.

Based on what he says there, I'd buy a basic Colt before I'd buy a souped-up budget gun. Not because the budget guns use MIM parts, but because the parts are the wrong size for good accuracy.

Sometimes, it is hard to separate the emotions and unfounded beliefs from the facts & data.

There are opinions that MIM parts are "bad" but not much data backing it up.
I do not think "MIM" is bad as a whole. I just would never want MIM parts that took a lot of stress. Many parts in a gun receive so little stress that they could be plastic and still function fine. I would still prefer they be forged though. It is a preference thing. Just like how I prefer all my 1911's be stainless. :)

tenusdad

Colts rule I love all of mine - You will never ever be sorry you bought one - Just say no to Taurus - friends don't let friends buy Taurus - I also once had a Springfield Armoury that was very reliable

dakota223

does anyone have experiance with auto ordnance 1911 i can get them new for 400 mil spec and know a gunsmith to do action job on it for bench fee including dropping in trigger i buy.

Old Gaffer

Buy the Taurus

I bought one about a month ago - used - with four magazines and a box of ammo for $450. I've since had the slide drilled and tapped for a red dot.

Here's a target I shot the other day with my first ever reloads, shooting one handed from at 25 yards out

1streloads-1.jpg

I can't wait to see how the gun shoots when I develop an accurate load for it and actually develop some competency through practice.

BTW, I've shot several Les Baers and Rock River race guns, and they were all quite nice guns, but not worth three or four times the price of the Taurus, and certainly not any more accurate in my hands.

All the best,
Rob

LouPran

I own several Colt, and I'd never sell them. I own a Kimber that runs quite well (it was made in 2003, and I've not experienced the QC snafu's that seem to be the recent phenomena). I own one PT1911, and it is, for some reason I have a difficult time explaining, my favorite 1911 to shoot. I can rapid fire it with complete and utter ease, as if it were a 9mm 1911. I freakin' love my PT1911.

Looks like you must be one of the lucky ones that got a 1911 from Taurus that's a shooter like the guns the reviewers sampled.

How long do you think before it shoots itself apart? ;)

Any of the MIM parts self destructed yet?