alaska living-limit 5 guns

IrvJr

If I had to pick from my existing guns...

If I had to pick 5 from my existing guns, I'd go with my Ruger Hawkeye 308 win for medium/large game and bear protection (it's the only high power rifle in my collection), my CZ 452 in 22LR for small game, my Browning Cynergy O/U 12 ga shotgun for wingshooting and general hunting, my Winchester 94 Trapper in 44 mag, and my Ruger 44 Mag super blackhawk. The Trapper 94 is light, yet can be loaded with fairly peppy hardcast 44 mag handloads.

If I had a chance to buy a gun before I went to Alaska, I'd buy a Remington 870 and bring it instead of the Cynergy O/U. although the Cynergy is a great hunting gun and pretty robust, the 870 with a synthetic stock might be more durable for the Alaskan wilderness. Plus the double barreled Cynergy is a bit heavy with its two barrels. The 870 might be a little handier to carry in the field.

2500ak

There's a local radio show about guns that brought up the idea of the quintessential hunting round for Alaska a while back, the general consensus seemed to be that it used to be the 30-06, and currently is the .308.

I don't know anyone who goes hiking or camping with one of those, its almost always 12-gauge. Mostly Remington, a few Winchester and Mossberg.

Drachenstein

have 30+ guns but could even cut it down to four.

1.) Ruger 77Mk2 .308 w/scope ------ light weight and will take down anything at a comfortable range.
2.) Mossberg 144LSA .22LR ------- small game - can drive tacks with it
3.) 1911a1 .45 Cal ----- personal defense
4.) 12 gauge double barrel ----- game and bird

Without anticipation of humane interaction there is no real need for a semi automatic. I picked the 1911 because it's the largest caliber I have and it's reliablity.

kodiakbeer

I live in Alaska.

There's no substitute for a good .22 with all the rabbits, ptarmigan, grouse, etc. Choose one to your liking.

A short-barreled shotgun. My favorite is a Baikal coach gun, but a good argument could be made for any number of pump or semi shotguns, especially in stainless. For game and bear defense.

My rifle is a converted Model 7 carbine in .350 Rem. Mag, but that's not exactly an off-the-shelf item. I'd recommend any heavy hitter, but I'd look first to short actions, short barrels, and low powered variable scopes that dial down to 1X. You'll understand that reasoning the first time you step into a patch of alder jungle.

I have a stainless .45 Colt Ruger Bisley. A DA is probably a better choice for many people, but I've never found one that I like - the Bisley feels better in my hand, so I'm sticking with it.

My fifth firearm choice, is a large can of pepper spray. OK, that's not a firearm, but I think you'll find it a lot more useful than many firearms.

Edited to add: if your Alaskan Idyll involves any time spent in Los Anchorage, then you'll want a concealed carry gun (no permit required here). Mine is a Kimber Compact with an Aluminum frame.

jaybirdjtski

12 gauge shotgun, as non mechanical as possible, maybe A Ruger Red Label.
One set of bbls, modified and full. One set, improved/open and modified/improved.
Alternate, Remiington 870, 12 gauge with some type of interchangable chokes system.

22 lr, bolt action, 2 x 6 variable power scope with swing away mounts. Something accurate with a stainless bbl.

Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag, stainless steel 4 5/8" bbl. Simple, sound, comfortable to carry with any configuration of holster. Strongest action around (with the Super Redhawk). You can load up monster 44 mag loads, 300 grn hard cast bullets, and harvest large, edible mammals at reasonable distances. Plus, you can buy 44 mag factory ammo anywhere.
You wear this handgun whenever you are hunting or even when you aren't!

Winchester Model 70, 338 Winchester mag. Leupold (or similar) scope. Maybe just a 4x fixed.
Alternate: Same as the above except 375 H&H. I've hunted with a 375 and I like the way it puts game down at longer ranges. My Model 70, 375 is magna- ported and the recoil feels like a 30/06. This is a "no bs", game killing round. I stalked a grizzly through some dense brush on a Yukon hunt. They're not as big as the bears near the coast. I had a 7mm Rem Mag with 160 grn Nosler partitions and put down the bear with one shot. I'd have preferred having the 375 or a 338. This was a sheep hunt and the other hunter had a 338 WM. With the 338, you'll be shooting almost as flat a trajectory as a 7mm. The lesson with the 7mm mag, I had premium bullets that would penetrate. Nosler partition or Barnes have always worked for me, even with deer. I like bullets that I know will penetrate.

Last gun, I guess I have a back up, high powered rifle that could be used on bear in a pinch. Maybe a 270, 280 or a 7mm mag, stainless bbl, synthetic stock, 2 x 7 variable scope, bolt action. This would be something to have for smaller game, deer sized, maybe coyotes.

On all these, factory ammo should be available in your local store. I think that would be important. You may reload but then, you may forget to bring your ammo along and have to buy some!

SigP6Carry

Some of these may seem strange, but try to bear with me:
Glock 26 - for concealed carry, as it's compact, easy to conceal and accepts all Glock 9mm magazines
Ruger Alaskan .460 - for woods carry, definitely enough to stop most predators
Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU - for hunting and plinking and the likes. I believe the 7.62x54r cartridge is a decent round for stopping most anything, especially in softpoint.
Ruger 10/22 - for smaller game and plinking with a .22
Mossberg 500 with 18.5" SD barrel, Rifled slug barrel and 28" accuchoke barrel - very versatile, can be used to bring down all sorts of game and predators.

Stevie-Ray

One interesting thing I've heard is that the grizzlies will go after can of beer, puncture them, and drink the contents.
My kind of bears. Well, heck, if that's all they want, I'd offer them one. Maybe let 'im sit down and watch the Wings game with me.:D

kodiakbeer

That's absolutely true about bears liking beer. I saw a picture a few years ago of a canned food cache where the bears had popped every can of a couple cases of beer, yet left the canned food largely untouched.

I'm not sure if they like the beer, or just find the popping of the can and the ensuing foam amusing. Bears do like to play and when they find something interesting, they'll play with it for hours. They like to pull tents down and drag them around and tussle with each other, pulling the fabric apart.

BillCA

Playing along here...

1. A good stainless .22LR/20ga combo gun
2. My 1903A3 Springfield w/scope - all purpose game getter.
3. A stainless .45-70 with iron sights as the heavy hitter.
4. A stainless or marine finished 870 12-gauge w/spare 18" barrel
5. My 3-inch S&W 657 .41 Mag for anything that gets too close.

The first general rule is stainless steel to reduce corrosion when returning indoors from the cold. The second general rule is to ensure I have either enough ammo or enough reloading gear to get me through.

Of course, I'm now at that age where such an "adventure" doesn't appeal to me. Mostly it's because I hate to be cold. :cool:

wvshootist

The choices I would make from my private armory would be as follows:

Marlin 1895G (45-70 Gov.)
Remington 700 SPS Tactical (308 Win.)
NEF Protector (12 gauge)
Winchester 94 (44 Rem. Mag.)
Ruger Redwakk (44 Rem. Mag.)

The marlin 1895G and NEF Protector could handle the really big stuff.
The Remington 700 SPS Tactical and Winchester 94 would do fine on the medium sized game.
The NEF Protector could also be used to take small game such as birds.
The Ruger Redhawk would be nice to have along for the ride. You never know when you might need a gun.

turbotype87

Alaska

that is a easy one, 1 would be a Ruger Alaskan in .454 casull, the 2nd would be my .45 acp 1911, 3rd would be a ruger 44 magnum, 4th my SA M1A, And last would be my ruger .300 win mag.

predator86

out of what i have...

1. Para Ordnance 1911 OIF

2. my m4

3. my pre-war model 70 in 30-06

4. my .50 cal windrunner

5. ruger 10/22

and of course my bow...

Clark

My father is 88 and has (3) guns:
1) 22LR Model X Iver Johnson single shot bolt action rifle he got at age 12
2) 1903 Springfield 30-06 he got in at age 24
3) Rem 1100 12 ga semi auto shotgun he got at age 43

I am 59 and could get along just fine with 1% of the guns I own.