alaska living-limit 5 guns

ADB

I would choose:

A Ruger 10/22 for small game, and use as a survival rifle in a pinch.

A Taurus Judge 45 Colt/.410 with a 6.5 inch barrel and 3 inch chamber, as a backup gun and for opportunity hunting.

My 12 gauge shotgun, a Charles Daly semi-auto.

A good rifle in .308. I own an Ishapore 2A1, but I'd take an M1A if I could.

Those four would pretty much fill what I would imagine needing, but having one more slot, I'd add a medium rifle like an AR.

Sarge

Ruger Alaskan .454, mooned for .45 ACP

Rossi Puma .454

Ruger Mark II pistol

870 Special Purpose, 8-shot

Can't think of anything else offhand... except lots of ammo for those.

22-rimfire

I'm not particularly set up for a woods cabin Alaska experience for a year. But if I had to from existing inventory, I'd include a Remie 270 rifle, 12 ga Remie 870 shotgun, Ruger 480 Revolver, M57 41 mag revolver and probably a Remie 541-S 22 rifle. If I were buying, I'd add a 375 H&H rifle and drop the 270 only because I had too.

Wildalaska

Blaser with a 6.5x55 barrel and a .22 conversion kit, rem 870 12 gauge 3 1/2 " 28" barrel, SIG 210, S&W 629

Wildifineed5riflesjustdoablaserwith5barrelsAlaska TM

jgcoastie

Well, let's see... Must choose from current inventory... Hmm...

- Ruger 10/22 with BSA 1x red dot
Good for rabbits, ptarmigan, squirrels and such. Gotta remember to bring lots of batteries though.
- Browning A-Bolt .308 with Nikon Monarch 3-9x
Good for deer, caribou, moose, black bear, brown bear in a pinch.
- Marlin .45/70 with large peep sight
This one doesn't really need an explanation.
- Remington 7615Police .223 with Nikon Monarch African 1-4x
Suitable for blacktails and wolf given proper placement, works for fox as well.
- Glock 20SF 10mm
My everyday woods carry gun. Loaded with 200gr WFNGC Beartooth rounds from DoubleTap it is a formidable defense gun.

** Other must-haves **
- Picture wire for snares
- Compound bow with 65lb draw & lots of arrows
- A few cans of bear spray

Blaser with a 6.5x55 barrel and a .22 conversion kit, rem 870 12 gauge 3 1/2 " 28" barrel, SIG 210, S&W 629

Wildifineed5riflesjustdoablaserwith5barrelsAlaska TM

JGwildwestgunsmustbedoingwellbecauseblasersaintcheapgladtoseeyouagainkenCoastie
:D

Powderman

Hm. Interesting topic.

From what I own already, I'd pick:

1. A good .22, probably my Ruger Competition Model. With a 4x scope on that pistol is scarily accurate, and durable to boot.
2. Smith and Wesson .500 Magnum, 4" barrel.
3. Springfield 1903 Mk1 in .30-06.
4. Winchester Defender 12 Gauge, and:
5. Winchester Laredo .300 Win Mag.

Now, the ammo is a different story.

First off, about 5 cases of good 40 grain .22 LR, mixed hi-speed hollowpoint and LRN.

Next, about 500 rounds of good .500 Mag.
The .30-06 would get a whole crapload of 165 gr. spire point--2-300 rounds--plus some FMJ ball.

The Defender would get a spare barrel before I left to be suitable for bird shooting if I had to, but I would be carrying that and the .500 everyday. I would load primarily with 1 1/2 oz 3" magnum slugs, with some buck.

The Laredo would get some good softpoints and probably some match ammo thrown in.

Don't forget a good knife or two. A Buck folder for my pocket, and a Randall Mark 1 for the sheath.

(Yeah, I know that it's cheating, but I probably would take along my G22 and lots of .40 Cal for carry and concealment as a backup gun.)

rogelk

...ones I have
-Ruger MarkII Target
-Late 70's browning lever.22 (near perfect condition:))
-Model 700 CDL 30.06

...ones I'd have to buy
-870 12 g
-S&W .500 Magnum 6 1/2"

...most choices based on ammo/parts availability...and I would have to consider swapping one of the .22's for my Beretta 92FS.

Last edited:
Mossberg930 field combo(with a few extra barrels if allowed)
Marlin 981TS
Winchester 1895 30-06 hardchromed
Redhawk 44 mag(4"?)
MG 42 in 308(for when I got bored)
Usually carry shotgun with a few types of loads.
Take the redhawk only when carrying the 22 as primary.

Oh. I don't own all of those. I would buy the 981TS and Redhawk before going on such a trip. My GP100 would not cut it for a sidearm in Alaska and I really want a 981TS anyways.
I would replace the 1895 30-06 with my Garand I guess. Maybe my K31, but probably the Garand.
and the MG 42 with... IDK. Don't really need a 5th I guess.

If I could take an Encore with a 30-06 barrel, a few shotgun barrels, and a 22LR barrel, I would only need the Redhawk in addition.

Last edited:

Old Time Hunter

Gosh darn it, I've got too many, most of them would be acceptable to me....but if I could only pick five:

1. 7.5" .44mag BlackHawk convertible (it has cylinders for both .44 Mag and .44-40)
2. Either my .444 Timber Carbine or my .444 Black Shadow (both based on the '94 Winchester)
3. '94 Winchester Trapper chambered for .44 Mag (are ya'll starting to catch my drift here, they all use the same bullets...cast or jacketed, plink'n or full power)
4. Ruger 77 chambered for .300 WinMag (hesitated on this one since I could easily said my M96 Swede or one of my 8mm Mausers)
5. Remington 870 12ga

Alternatives could be .30-30 Win, .450 1895M Marlin, .45-70 Browning 1886, .348 M71 Browning, .356 '94 Winchester Big Bore, .307 '94 Winchester Big Bore, .405 1895 Winchester TD, Suppose I could also transplant the Trapper with an AK....or what about my M1 Carbine that'd make a fine varmint gun too! Too many choices...still would have to leave a truck load of them behind. Especially my beloved Trapdoors (9 of them), Mosin's (a bunch), Enfields, Arisaka's, Commission 88's, Mauser 71/84's, M95's...Ugh, I could go on and on..still not even getting to my .22's or the fifteen pistols still not mentioned. Guess I'd try to stay with what I said, I'd only have to bring two types of bullets and one size shot gun shell.

foghorn leghorn

ruger 22 LR

I think with all certainty, that the Ruger 10/22 22LR, which has been named the #1 rifle, has a perfect companion, the Ruger family of Mark pistols,
as for me, I have both.
mark II 5" bull barrel, can shoot a wart on a fly's behind at 75 ft.
10/22 voted something like the best rifle ever.
I have a Marlin Glenfield Model 60, and it's just as good as the Ruger, but the magazine makes the Ruger superior for ease of use.
I used to have a Remington Nylon 66 in high school, it is an excellent firearm,
except it has teflon parts in the bolt carrier, so it tends to be hard to maintain, and as such tends to be neglected and gets cruddy, or it did in my case.

2500ak

Trudging around in the wilderness with five guns is ridiculous.

Take a 12-gauge with assorted bear slugs and lighter loads. A non-semiautomatic .22 would be handy but not vital.

When its below -50F semi-auto's like my Marlin 60 seem to jam a lot, I should know I use the outdoor shooting range all winter long.

cornbush

Marlin 880SQ .22
Springfiels GI .45
Ruger Hawkeye .223
Remington 78 Sportsman .270
Winchester 120 Ranger 12 ga.

TimNelson

I would have to take all five of what I have, but I would be buying some new ones quickly

Savage 30-06
Savage Mark II .22LR
Springfield 1911
XDsc 9mm
Kahr Pm9

The Last two would be replaced with a 12 gauge and a .44 mag redhawk...no need for my summer carry probably

DMK

I would get the heck out of Alaska and move to nice warm Cali where they let me own more than 5 guns! ... wait a minute. :(

rickyjames

"Trudging around in the wilderness with five guns is ridiculous.

Take a 12-gauge with assorted bear slugs and lighter loads. A non-semiautomatic .22 would be handy but not vital.

When its below -50F semi-auto's like my Marlin 60 seem to jam a lot, I should know I use the outdoor shooting range all winter long. '

simple, effective and to the point, 2 thumbs up :)

retiredcoasty

I will limit my selections to firearms I own.

S&W 44 Magnum (shorter range with a punch)
Remington 1100 12-guage (everyone needs a shotgun)
300 H&H Magnum (long range with a major punch)
S&W 38 (need something to stash on me)
Beretta Storm (just fun as heck to shoot)

Maybe not the best five choices but I am pretty comfortable with all of these. And comfort should be a factor in making such choices.

rdmallory

Would a T/C Encore with 6 barrels count as one or 6?:confused:
(1) 20 gauge, 22-250, 22lr, 17hmr, 45/410, 45-70

(2) 1911
(3) SW 66
(4) Browning 308
(5) AR15 and 3 uppers :p

That's my "5"

Doug