A Discussion on PCC's.

44 AMP

Staff
The knowledge I'm lacking is, somehow, the 5.56/.223 AR15 carbines took off while the 9mm/.40/.45ACP subguns pretty much died out (again, in LE use).

At least some of the reason was that the Fed supplied a lot of police depts with M16s/M4s at little or no cost, and when those were considered worn out and replaced they were essentially replaced in kind with the same rifles, and no doubt a number of the originals are still in service somewhere.

I've had a number of pistol caliber semi auto carbines, still have one, but cannot have any more, thanks to unser Furher..pardon me, our Governor and his law prohibiting all future purchases of "semi automatic assault rifles". And their magazines...

I can keep mine, till I pass away, but cannot buy any more or sell mine in this state. And while I'm not sure, I don't think my kids can inherit it, in this state, either.

At least I'm not required to give a stiff arm salute.....yet.....:mad::rolleyes:

Sharkbite

The knowledge I'm lacking is, somehow, the 5.56/.223 AR15 carbines took off while the 9mm/.40/.45ACP subguns pretty much died out (again, in LE use).

About the only thing a PCC does better then a 5.56 (of similar size) is suppress. A 5.56 (even with a good can) is still loud indoors. A 9mm with subsonic ammo can be pretty dang quiet suppressed.

With 20+ years of GWOT behind us, most Tac team guys in LE have lots of time with the M4 platform. So they get a weapon they already know and use well, with superior ballistics. They are all wearing highend ear pro/comms so making the gun super quiet is less important then most people think.

So the 5.56 guns hit harder, penetrate less, make longer range hits easier (not super common, but happens). All improve on the performance of a PCC.