380 vs Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogtown tom

“Everybody wants to tell me what kind of gun I should have or shouldn’t have, or how I should have or shouldn’t have shot,” Watkins says of the social media backlash. “I’m prepared now, and I was prepared then. I’m a lifelong Alaskan—I have every gun I need to kill even an elephant. It’s not that I don’t have the weapon, I’m just not going to a gunfight” when I’m running trails in February.

Dumb as a bag of hammers.

Drm50

I took my one and only moose at about 40yds with a 375H&H with 3x scope. It seemed a terribly mundane shot to end the adventure. The real adventure was that it rolled into 3’ of water and collapsed. I could have killed it with head shot of a 22. No romantic charge to tell stories about.
There are lots of people with PhDs in certain field that don’t have enough common sense to wipe their butts. World is full of them and they are vocal and aren’t happy until they prove they are fools.

JustJake

There are lots of people with PhDs in certain field that don’t have enough common sense to wipe their butts. World is full of them and they are vocal and aren’t happy until they prove they are fools.
Which defines 100% of the so-called "bear-spray experts." :rolleyes:

stinkeypete

How many of you have ever seen a bear? I have seen hundreds of black bear and two grizzlies.
How many of you have ever shot a bear? (not me, never even close to needing that.)
Seen/Shot a moose? I've seen plenty and shot none.
Been out in more than 3 feet of snow? Many winters for me.
Been out hunting when the temperature is below 0F? Many times, but coldest this year was 2F.
How many large game animals have you shot in snow with a handgun? About 25 big Wisconsin deer for me. I lost count. In my EXPERIENCE, I won't hunt deer with a .357 or even .357 Max again. I had bad experiences with them. .45 Ruger Only LC and .44 Magnum had a much higher percentage of humane kills. A 200 pound white tail is a itty bitty baby compared to a moose. Rifles had a much much higher percentage.

.375 H&H is huge, and appropriate for moose. Getting into an altercation with a moose is a highly unusual event, not something you need to haul pounds of equipment for.

Next, someone will be telling me the best handgun to carry while surfing, to protect from nurse sharks.

There may be a lot of Ph.D's without certain subject knowlege, and some will lack common sense, but the lack of education does not impart wisdom. Not even knowing what you don't know isn't good. For some people, if you own a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
.375 H&H is huge, and will certainly take moose if the shooter does their part properly. So will a LOT of lighter rounds. including the 6.5x55mm Swede.

been out in more than 3 ft of snow. Used to go out snowmobiling in -20F temps.

Personally, have no qualms about using a PROPER .357 load for deer or even black bear. In my experience, the cartridge is adequate, if it fails, it's the shooter who isn't.

And, the .357 ammo that you usually find on the shelves is seldom the proper load for big game hunting.

Drm50

The argument for best caliber is non starter for me. I bought a 375 H&H out of hi school for pending hunt in NW Territory. I got side tracked when an uncle sent me on a jungle hunt instead. Never did get to hunt browns. So I got my use out of 375 H&H on Moose, blacks and several deer. Loaded with 235g Speers.
I wouldn’t use a 357 on deer if I was actually hunting as my method is stalking. If you are sitting on stand shooting deer that are stationary that is killing not hunting. Good 22 will do the job. Use a gun big enough to get job done if things aren’t perfect as they seldom are. I have shot deer on damage permits. Head shots off rest out to 200yds. No point in ruining meat if you don’t have to. Snow is no big deal. Right now just coming out of 24” with temps in 40s and inch of rain. We are thinking about putting grease fitting on the canoe. The creek is raging. Elevation drop of 700’ in 20mi, the creeks will flash flood tonight. The Ice they bring out of the feeders will be like a bulldozer.

I've killed 5 deer with .357 Magnum. I use a Ruger 77/357 bolt action rifle with an 18.5" barrel. My hand loads sent a 125gr soft point to a verified 2,227fps or 1,376ft/lbs. I've never had a runner. If you don't handload use Remington Green Box 125gr loads. Here's the bullet before and after. It's the only one I ever recovered because the deer was facing me. I shot her through the neck and pulled it out of her heart.

shafter

Bear spray is as effective on aggresive bears as OC spray is on aggressive humans. Hard to press the fight when you can't see or smell and everything feels like it's on fire.

In 1936, Colonel Doug Wesson took a train to Wyoming to show off his brand new Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum. He also carried 250-rounds of factory ammunition. Wesson’s audience reveled in his sportsmanship and the new gun and ammo. He took down an antelope at nearly 200-yards. Then he shot a bull elk at 130-yards. Lastly, Wesson killed a bull moose at 100-yards. North America’s biggest ungulate was no match for the .357. It traveled for 40-yards before keeling over. Wesson reported that the bullet had penetrated the moose’s neck, cut through one rib, and shot through the moose’s lungs.
https://www.negc.org/guns-ammo/357-magnum-ammo-hunting/

When the 357 Magnum first came out it was killing all the biggest critters around. Today you need to handload to get that performance but it still does the job.

JustJake

Bear spray is as effective on aggresive bears as OC spray is on aggressive humans.
LOL! :D ...

Link(s) to comparative studies specifically analyzing the effectiveness of spray on “agressive bears” (not curious bears) in relation to OC deployments by cops or civilians against “agressive” (violent) humans? ... :rolleyes:

In cop use, OC spray can and does fail to stop violent felons and/or highly-drugged or intoxicated attackers. Same with studies of LE taser deployments.

Hard to press the fight when you can't see or smell and everything feels like it's on fire.
Putting aside the skewed/bias basis of bear-spray studies, most do note that both deployment of the spray and the existing environmental conditions have to be near-perfect for it to be “effective” against an agressive bear (i.e., the charge is stopped or turned and the bear leaves your area). You can’t discharge the spray too soon or too late, nor too far away nor too close to the animal, nor in high-wind or cross-directional wind. All variations have occurred, including with experienced spray users.

Worse is when the wind blows the deployed spray back into the user’s face. It renders him or her a blind “screamin’ beeatch,” which of course only aggravates the bear more and, if it didn’t already know your exact location, it does now. :eek:

Pumpkin

I just had a grim thought, what if the moose collapsed on the dogs after being shot! I guess a powerful enough gun and competent shooter would have hopefully stopped the moose before he was right on top of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.