380 vs Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogtown tom

Adventurer 2 ..... The musher says at the end of the article that she has upgraded to a more powerful handgun.
She could carry a .454 Casul and it would be just as ineffective unless she learns a bit more about firearms.

OneFreeTexan Where did her shots with the 380 hit the moose?
In his ego.;)

ghbucky the .380 worked about as well as you would expect.
A .22 would have worked fine. Its not the arrow, its the Indian.
This lady has no clue about firearms.

From that article:
She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.
and
I wasn’t prepared to kill a moose, that’s correct,” Watkins said.

She wasn't prepared in mindset or equipment.

ghbucky

I'm not about to pass judgement on someone who was confronted by an angry moose armed only with a .380.

Stuff happens. Her real hope was probably that she could frighten it off with the noise. Clearly that wasn't happening.

Adventurer 2

I'm not passing judgement. Thought it was an interesting and terrifying story.
I solo backpack often and sometimes only carry a 380 - go light, go fast, go far. I'm not sure where i'd shoot a charging moose if all i had was a 380 - neck???
Hope to never be in that kind of situation.

Adventurer 2

Carmady, I own a Bond Arms Snake Slayer which i put the small grip on -- it hurts to shoot a couple of 410s out of it with the small grip -- it would have to be my life or shooting the 45/70 in a small gripped derringer.

Shotgun Slim

Wow. She said no musher would travel with a larger caliber(politically correct) then she says she has upgraded to a larger caliber. Maybe she should just stay home and watch the Iditarod on youtube

JustJake

Wonder how bear spray would work on a moose?
About as well as it doesn’t work on aggressive bruins.

I'm surprised she didn't have that with her.
Why? :rolleyes:

Firearms are far more effective than spray against large and heavy attacking/charging/aggressive critters - the ones with big claws, snappy jaws, or stompy hooves - unless you're a fan of the agenda-driven bias studies.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/the-truth-about-bear-spray-vs-bullets/

A .380 or 9mmMak gun wouldn’t be my first choice if heading out into the environs where these critters roam (more like a 10mm pistol loaded with real 10mm ammo), but her choice worked for her.

10mm hammers agitated Moose :eek:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ma0vm

:cool:

Last edited:

JustJake

Bear spray is undeniably effective against bears.
:rolleyes:

Only consistently against non-aggressive, “curious” bears.

Unfortunately you don’t get to *pick* your bears in these human/bruin encounters ... and the bear has a say too. :eek:

ghbucky

Bear spray is far more effective than firearms in stopping wildlife attacks. Even attacks in progress.

If your first thought is 'shoot it til it doesn't move' then take some time to do some research.

JustJake

Bear spray is far more effective than firearms in stopping wildlife attacks. Even attacks in progress.
:rolleyes: Wrong. And why generalize it with “wildlife attacks”? You mean feral dogs too?

The issue is moose and bear attacks, and the article linked in my first post disproves your claim.

* * * then take some time to do some research.
:rolleyes:

Look in the mirror, bubby, and say: “Do some research.”

stinkeypete

The moose attacked for an hour. 4 dogs were injured. Think that over.
In the end, a friend with a high powered rifle dispatched the moose with one shot. Think about it.

I am no expert on Alaska, but if my sport was to be deep in the wilderness, a high powered rifle does not seem to be too much trouble to have in a dogsled or the trailing snow machine. Not any handgun. A rookie with a hand cannon may as well be holding a cherry bomb.

Mocking a .380? It would make short work of coyotes, wolves or humans. It’s about as silly as 9mm.

To her credit, she had backup following her. The solution isn’t always a bigger handgun.

This woman’s sport is racing dog sleds in Alaska. She’s not an idiot.

As an aside, apparently there is a big difference between North American moose and European moose. An experienced friend in Sweden insists moose are just like big cows, push them off the trail. We had to work hard to convince her on this continent, they will stomp you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.