1911 45 auto

JustJake

Tisas are the new RIAs.

Plus, they run hiccup-free, whereas the more recently-made RIAs are reportedly hit-n-miss coming out of the box.

totaldla

Some folks here should actually look up prices before commenting about price.

What I've noticed is a generational change in 1911 buyers. The older crowd seemed more serious about actually carrying, so manufacturers offered the 4" barrel alloy frame "Commander" style. Now I see much more interest in the very low cost imports - usually a very basic pistol lacking refinements learned over the last 50 years.

My takeaway is that the 1911 has become more of a toy to a new generation of shooters because there are simply too many better pistol designs competing for our $. Although I do realize that there are new shooters living in States with goofy restrictions that make 1911s more attractive.

I personally wouldn't buy another 1911 unless I wanted a BBQ gun.

jar

Some folks here should actually look up prices before commenting about price.

What I've noticed is a generational change in 1911 buyers. The older crowd seemed more serious about actually carrying, so manufacturers offered the 4" barrel alloy frame "Commander" style. Now I see much more interest in the very low cost imports - usually a very basic pistol lacking refinements learned over the last 50 years.

My takeaway is that the 1911 has become more of a toy to a new generation of shooters because there are simply too many better pistol designs competing for our $. Although I do realize that there are new shooters living in States with goofy restrictions that make 1911s more attractive.

I personally wouldn't buy another 1911 unless I wanted a BBQ gun.
I'm not sure if I've found any better designs than a 1911 but I do find other designs that work as well as some of my 1911s and I've had some 1911s that were simply horrid.

I've reached that age when I've learned I should listen to what my body says; take the car rather than walk, do it tomorrow rather than today, carry the Walther CCP M2+ 380 instead of the 1911 Government model.

That doesn't mean the Walther CCP M2+ 380 is a better design; it's different and at that specific time is a better choice for me physically. Tomorrow I may be back carrying the 1911.

But when looking a some very very similar "Newer" vs "Older" options in most cases I've found I prefer the older. On days when my body says I shouldn't carry the 1911 Government model I don't switch to my Shield 45. On days when I consider carrying my Shield 9mm I find I more often choose my old 59 or 469 rather than the newer design.

No, I can't say I've found any really "better" designs out there simply different options that sometimes meet special needs.

And that also holds true when it comes to areas like holsters. There again I have not found "New" equals "Better". My old Kramer Thomas Perfectionist gets to go WalkAbout and my Sparks Summer Special 2 is in the Box of Shame. My older Strong and Roy's Original pancake holsters get to go WalkAbout while the Simply Rugged Sourdough is in the Box of Shame.

lll Otto lll

I bought a Garrison recently, on sale, just under $700, out the door, including tax. Very tight and nicely finished piece.

So did I from Brownells. It was $667. I wasn’t impressed with it. The Range Officers were much better. I’m glad you’re happy with yours.
My suggestion to the OP is to save-up his coins and buy a Dan Wesson….either a Pointman or Valor.

Tisas are the new RIAs.

Plus, they run hiccup-free, whereas the more recently-made RIAs are reportedly hit-n-miss coming out of the box.

I bought the Tisas 1911 Duty last year for $484. It has a nasty habit of double firing. Tisas USA customer service makes you jump through a bunch of hoops just to get a RMA. One of those hoops is having to submit a scan of your drivers license.

Last edited:

101combatvet

What, in your opinion, is better than a 1911?

RickB

In my experience, Glocks aren't "Glock reliable", so there's that.
Maybe if I rolled around in the mud on the range floor, I'd have a greater appreciation.

Agree that Tisas is the new Norinco, for low-priced base guns, as the former appear to have excellent bones.

A gun with features chosen by someone other than you is not a custom, no matter how well-made it is, and I can't abide production guns with poorly executed features like gappy beavertails, or daylight showing through sight dovetails, as I'm from the era of those being gunsmith fitted.

I'll buy a G.I.-style gun and fit the safeties myself, rather than accept production-line levels of fit and function, but not everyone wants a project in every gun.

gwpercle

Just finished reading two reviews of Tisas 1911's , the first , a commander , 45 acp , with alloy frame , bob-tail grip ( for concealed carry) and 3 dot sights ... shot 5 different brands ammo , 185 WC to 230 RN with 200 gr JHP , avg trigger pull 3.3 lbs , good groups and 5 star rating ... Every round , WC - HP - RN all fed , fired and ejected ...shoting was 100%.
avg. accuracy 2.5 " @ 25 yards

The other review was a full size , stainless steel in 38 Super ... the shooting results were similsr to the 45 Commander as was trigger pull and accuracy .
The reviewer gave it a big thumbs up and did not return the pistol ... he sent them a check for it !
When a reviewer BUYS the gun instead of return after testing ... that means he realy Likes it ... and he Liked it !

I might have to look at this new kid on the block ...the prices are Right !
Gary

Trooper Joe

Since June 6, 2023, I have bought 5 Tisas 1911’s. I only had one that I had to do some adjusting on. It was a special made one for Bud’s. I was going to sell it but after Tisas gave me a fitted barrel and I installed a new Thumb safety, I have decided to keep it.

The others were a MilSpec 45, a Tanker Commander, a Stingray 9mm carry model and a MAC 1911 JSOC 45 ACP made by Tisas. After I bought the first two, I sold my SA “Mil Spec” since it was no where as good as the Tisas guns.

Trooper Joe

Ricklin

Tisa'a from Bud's

So what's all the excitement over old slabsides? I broke down and bought the cheapest 1911 I could find prolly around 2019 I would guess. Pre covid I paid around 300 bucks.
When it arrived at my transfer dealer the guys in the shop wanted to have a look, esp. when I mentioned the price was very low.
Nary a discouraging word was heard from the peanut gallery, one guy in particular raved about the trigger, it's quite good.
It's since had a few hundred rounds through it. Had a couple of FTF's in the first few mags, been 100% since.
My only complaint? The extractor needs a little tuning, darn thing throws brass all over the county. When shooting bullseye my G19 darn near puts them in a neat little pile.
I am a fan of cheap. The Tisa's is excellent. I would not recommend it as a first handgun, I think there are better choices. I would not recommend any 1911 pattern as a first or only handgun.

44 AMP

Staff
Where the 1911A1's empties end up is more than just the extractor, its also the ejector and the slide velocity produced by the ammo you are shooting.

Shoot a target load, the brass goes one place (provided the load is consistent), shoot ball ammo, it goes in a different spot. Shoot hot loads and the brass goes another place. That is simply the way that gun works.

Shoot a light load and cases will probably be in a nice little pile near your feet (or land on the brim of your hat, :D)

bac1023

I guess I’m not understanding the whole TISAS craze. I get buying one as a low cost option if you don’t mind Turkish guns. However, I see people on the forums with a whole collection of these and other entry level 1911’s (as in a dozen or more) instead of buying a couple high end models.

Of course, I never understood the concept of quantity over quality either. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

RickB

Tisas is the current best-bang-for-the-buck 1911, following in the footsteps of Norinco and Sistema.

A lot of 1911 fans are forged steel snobs, Tisas pistols have forged slides and frames, so they're more attractive than, say, RIA, or Auto Ordnance, which have cast frames.

Tisas has an extremely broad selection, so there's something for everyone, whether you want a military clone, or a competition pistol with all mod cons.
I find the most basic, least expensive models most appealing, as the good bones can be a basis for whatever you want.

I don't own one, and I'm not really in the market for a new 1911, but might have to buy one, anyway.

jar

I guess I’m not understanding the whole TISAS craze. I get buying one as a low cost option if you don’t mind Turkish guns. However, I see people on the forums with a whole collection of these and other entry level 1911’s (as in a dozen or more) instead of buying a couple high end models.

Of course, I never understood the concept of quantity over quality either. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
My 1911 journey was a Colt 80 series in the mid 80s that was never reliable even after three trips back to the Mothership and so sent off to a Forever Home for Miscreant Children; a Dan Wesson semi-custom Pointman/Patriot about a decade later that was again totally unreliable and while beautiful it was horrid so it too got sent to a Forever Home for Miscreant Children; and the four Tisas 1911s that have simply worked, worked with any magazines from any makers except a couple Wilson Combat 920 (and even those worked once I changed the follower to a standard CheckMate) with any ammo and without have to adjust anything or add anything (again with the exception of adding a Tisas Duty slide I found on sale to compensate for my Operation Torch Era Mk 1 eyes).

For me, quality is having something that works as it should and meets all of my needs without me having to change what I do or adjust or repair or enhance the object to get it to meet my needs.

44caliberkid

My first 1911 was the GI one I was issued as an MP in the US Army. While in service I bought a Colt Government Model in 38 Super. It ran 130 grain ball just fine but choked on anything with a truncated nose or hollow point. It is a trait of any 38 Super 1911 I’ve had, but remedied by a ramped barrel. In the 80’s, when the first Norincos hit our shores I bought one, 45 ACP,for $350 and was quite pleased with it. So much in fact I sent it to my 1911 ‘smith to have a set of Wichita sights installed and a wider, 3 hole trigger with over travel adjustment. He told me machining the dove tails in the slide was a bugger, steel harder than Colt’s. I used it for bullseye competition for 10 years with the stock barrel and bushing. People gave me crap about my Chinese gun, but most of them scored lower than me. A friend of mine that I was coaching in target shooting had a custom ordered bullseye gun from Springfield, about $1000 in 1991, and my Norinco shot better, for me anyway.
Somewhere along the line in picked up a Colt Gold Cup. More recently I obtained two Iver Johnson’s, a bright chrome 38 Super and an Eagle XL in 10mm. Newest acquisition is a Springfield Garrison because Springfield just discounted them about $200 because they weren’t moving. Other than a better polish job on the sides of the slide and real blued steel (no spray on finish) it is very comparable to the Phillipino pistols. Haven’t tried a Tisas yet, but have looked at a bunch of them in a gun shop that has and sells them in droves. The Tank Commander model interests me but it is higher priced, for another 100 bucks I could get a similar Kimber.