1911 45 auto

jar

I've owned and gotten rid of 1911s from Colt and Dan Wesson.

I currently own four Tisas (45acp & two GI, two Commander) and one Girsan Commander size 45acp 1911. The Biggest issue I've had with any of the Tisas was that my brother-in-law shot one of them and it took months to get him to give it back.

The Girsan is nice BUT some of their pieces parts are non-standard. For example the barrel bushing on mine is smaller in OD than any of the standard 1911 sizes and also much shorter. The solution was to buy some spares to have on hand.

The Tisas range these days goes from really basic pre-WWII to full Match Grade competition. Fit and finish has been very very good and I have not had to adjust any of the extractors, polish any feed ramps or work on any of the triggers.

I've put at least a thousand rounds through each of the Tisas so far with really no gun related issues. I had some problems with eight round Wilson Combat 920 magazines feeding but changing the follower out to standard CheckMate fixed those issues. I use CheckMate, Ed Brown, Wilson 920 and 47s, Mec-Gar, Act, MetalForm and likely some brands I'm forgetting. No problems other than the 920 in either 7 round or 8 round configuration.

FITASC

Of the ones I own, my S.A. TRP Operator is well done. Being LH and coming with ambi controls was a factor for me.

Seven High

I’ve seen Tisas 1911s on sale at my local Dunhams for $330.00. That is a bargain in my opinion. The tiny sights could be a problem.

jar

I’ve seen Tisas 1911s on sale at my local Dunhams for $330.00. That is a bargain in my opinion. The tiny sights could be a problem.
Tisas has a very wide range these days when it comes to things like sights. They have Novak cut sights on quite a few of their models.

attachment.php

jar

double post

So I'll add more PRON.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ahrends.jpg
    Ahrends.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 834
  • Tanker-MOE.jpg
    Tanker-MOE.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:

Jim Watson

A Tisas enthusiast should have one fully customized.
I saw some fine work done by good shops back when the Norinco was the Good Buy.

Jim Watson

Well, it has a lot of the features common on custom guns, but it doesn't have the refinements of a true custom. Look at the gap under that beavertail. I doubt it has the tight fit and smooth movement of a honed action. There are some people who just have to spend more money to get their money's worth, so to speak.

I have simpler tastes. I could probably get by with a Tisas Match with only a trigger adjustment and the fibre optic front sight I am used to. Probably dull the keen machine checkering.

Drm50

I only keep older Colts, like over 50yrs old. In last couple years had Ruger SR1911 in both .45 & 10mm. The .45 was Commander model and it functioned and shot well for accuracy.
The 10mm was Target model and was exceptional shooter. If it had been 45 I would have kept it.
Also had several Springfields, just Mil-Spec models but shot and functioned as well as my Colts. If I wanted a deal on a 1911 the used market has a lot of Rugers & Springfields for
$500-$600 range. I’ve not bought any of these new but they were like new in factory cases.
I’m not much on buying imported clones. With Ruger & Springfield you are buying American and your gun will maintain value.
If truth was known better than 50% of handguns are bought more less on whims. Like a new puppy it is played with for a few months and put up on a shelf. This is where the deals are at.

Jim Watson

For that money, better off with a Bul.

What money? To get adjustable sights etc. on a Bul Trophy the list price is $1750 vs $1050 for the Tisas Match.

Based on local reports, the Bul is very likely worth the extra $700 or buy a Bul Government for $850 and get the fixed sights us Operators need for Hard Use anyhow.

MarkCO

What money? To get adjustable sights etc. on a Bul Trophy the list price is $1750 vs $1050 for the Tisas Match.

I've shot a Tisas Match against a base Bul, the Bul is much better. $100 for a set of adjustable/Fiber Optic front sight and you are still less than a Tisas Match.

I guess I have never understood the concept of buy a cheap gun, then try to make it perform like the next tier up...for more money.

bac1023

Well, it has a lot of the features common on custom guns, but it doesn't have the refinements of a true custom.

Yeah not even close. Lots of production guns have these features. As you know, features don’t equal quality. They are completely separate.

Mosin44az

There are lots of good to great 1911s out there and you generally can’t go badly wrong. I personally would avoid Taurus because of parts breakage with the one I bought and their longstanding reputation for middling quality control, bad metal and slow service.

But if you are partial to Ruger or Kimber, I say go ahead. My Ruger Commander was good and from what I read they generally do a good job on their 1911s.

Kimber gets some criticism in this thread but I have owned four of them and they’ve all been good. They are maybe charging a bit for styling rather than pure performance sometimes but they usually look really nice, so if one particularly appeals to you why not. People pay more for stylish cars. They don’t all have to be just dull and reliable . And my Kimbers have been fine in terms of reliability and quality.

Fusion I think is a new company. Don’t know its reputation.

I am impressed by what I read about Tisas, and I note Palmetto State Armory seems to be giving away Rock Islands these days. If you have an issue with a 1911 there are plenty of gunsmiths to diagnose and help fix, you are not limited to returning to the distributor or factory.

Last edited:
Mosin44az said:
Fusion I think is a new company. Don’t know its reputation.
Unless there's a new Fusion that I don't know about, when CZ bought out Dan Wesson the former CEO of Dan Wesson established a company called Fusion that made parts and kits for 1911s. A lot of people at the time seemed to think Fusion parts were pretty good -- I wasn't one of them.

44 AMP

Staff
Just yesterday I was at my daughters and shot her hubby's new 1911 45, really enjoyed shooting it and it was quite accurate.

Ask your son in law what gun it is. Meaning who made it and what model it is.

What are you looking for in a 1911 pattern gun?? all the race gun /combat bells & whistles? something more GI? Its all out there, with quality and price points that are all over the map.