Your Most Unorthodox Load?

DWFan

TxGunNut, my buddy uses that same powder charge under the Barnes 300gr .458" SOCOM bullet in his 10".45-70 BFR. Dunno what kind of velocity but he's used it for both hog and deer.

TXGunNut

I got it from a friend, DWFan. I've only seen it in print in the 45th Edition (1970) Lyman manual. Haven't set up my chrono in awhile but I'm guessing I get about 1400-1450fps from my Guide Gun. Feedback from deer and hogs has been very positive. ;) Dunno what kind of velocity your buddy's getting but meat in the freezer beats numbers on a page.
I know it's not terribly unorthodox but that's how I roll, I don't look for excitement at my reloading bench.

rogn

WSMs

I use cast bullets 145gr in 7WSM and 170 gr in the 300 WSM coated with Lee liquid alox, no sizing, primers are usually Wolf or Remi std rifle. The propellat is Alcan AL-7(long discontinued, but Ive got a bg can of it left over from lead shot duckin' days). 10 to 12 grains and the cast bullet gives a moderate velocity, I havnt chronpd but I thihk about 100-1300 Fps. 26 yd groups are abt 1- 1/2 " and they dont kick or scorch the barrel. Better still no leading and really cheap. OOverall cost not counting propane or white gas is probably less than $.04 apiece. Alittle tedious to load, but more fun to shoot than the ball of fire, kickin' game loads. Ive got ot try 'em on ground hogs when I get done with the latest project...

zxcvbob

9mm, Full case of Pyrodex P, 115gr XTP
Shot fine, but wouldn't cycle the action. Very accurate, but also very dirty.

Might be worth trying again using 777 instead of Pyrodex. (still might not cycle, but at least it won't be quite so filthy.)

rogn

Peetzakilla- I plann on trying TB at some point, but right now Ive got a lot of the AL7 Imusing it in a bunch of applications, but the can refuses to go down.

Little, medium & big...

got a 17 K Hornet barrel for my Contender... any loads in that are "unique"

been doing some expiriements with a fast twist Hornet got both a 6" - 8 shot revolver & a Ruger 77 22 Hornet with 1 in 9" twist barrels... have been loading up to 68 grain bullets in the Hornet cases with good luck...

been loading 32 & 38 S&W cartridges with Trailboss & lead round balls for old black powder revolvers...

right now I've been loading "African safari hot" loads for my Guide gun in 45-70... loaded a box of 50 last night that used almost 1/3 of a pound of powder... quite a change from my 0.7 grains of Trailboss I load in my 32 S&W round ball loads

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Not unorthodox but how many are loading for 25-20?

Load plastic shot shell cups in my 357 and 38s w/just a primer because I can't get the plastic bullets anywhere.:(

Tried an experiment of loading 45 ACP 230 gr hardball ammo backwards for HD loads. Couldn't hit paper at 25', tried 220 gr LSWC and that was much better.

Neighbors dog load when it wouldn't stop chasing our chickens. Dump the shot in a 10 gauge shell. Fill with dried feed corn and fill up case with melted bacon fat. Makes the rump of white dog turn mostly black, sends him home in a hurry with no lasting damage and he never came back to chase another chicken. Barrel smelled like popcorn and bacon. Easy to clean by running a cleaning rag down the barrel. Loved that smell combination. :D

troy_mclure

.44mag case full of pyrodex with a rainier 300gr bullet. fired this thru my 7.5" ruger sbh.

verry mild but suprisingly accurate at 25yd.

Crankylove

200 & 250 grain .358 diameter bullets (from my .358 Winchester) loaded in .38 Special cases with a charge of Trailboss.

BillCA

Old Grump said:
Neighbors dog load when it wouldn't stop chasing our chickens. Dump the shot in a 10 gauge shell. Fill with dried feed corn and fill up case with melted bacon fat. Makes the rump of white dog turn mostly black, sends him home in a hurry with no lasting damage and he never came back to chase another chicken. Barrel smelled like popcorn and bacon. Easy to clean by running a cleaning rag down the barrel. Loved that smell combination.
LOL ! The smell of popcorn, bacon and gunpowder. Um-Ummm, good!

OG - try a 255gr LSWC sized to .452 with 9 grains of Blue Dot. You have to single-feed them but whatever you hit with that first shot will look like it was hit by an anvil.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
OG - try a 255gr LSWC sized to .452 with 9 grains of Blue Dot. You have to single-feed them but whatever you hit with that first shot will look like it was hit by an anvil.
I'll probably feel like I was hit by an anvil. My gun is a NM pistol put together by the boys at Fort Benning USAMU. Not sure I would do that to that old gun, its been in my hands since 1972 and I bought it from the original owner a Commander on the Navy pistol team.

My backwards bullet trick was also load the first one by hand and follow up with hardball because they wouldn't feed. I was also 35 years younger and was still doing stupid stuff after reading about somebody else trying it and claiming it was a good idea...it wasn't. I'm more conservative in my old age and I was old enough I should have know better back then but oh well.

qualfang

bizarre loads

JHP copper shells filled with epoxy resin. 3345 fps from a 6" .357 Dan Wesson, 2400 fps from a 4" HK USP40- still had enough momentum to cycle the action properly, ludicrously low recoil.

I forget the specifics, but a 3/4" dia dowel rod trimmed to about .725" diameter, muzzle loaded into 12ga 870 loaded with a shell that had the rifled slug removed. In case of vampires, of course. :) do NOT use on resiliant targets- the wood bounces, and it's moving at bullet velocities- and has no directional stability.

.22cb shorts, with most of the lead trimmed off the nose- you'd think lighter weight would mean more velocity, but it was tyhe opposite. Came to figure out there was not enough backpressure to burn the powder completely. about 350-450 fps with maybe 10gr of lead. Sounded about as loud as a pellet gun of similar ballistics.

dlb435

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

7.9 gr. of HS7 (no longer available) 115 gr RN bullet in 9mm Luger for use in an UZI. Chrono'd at 1550 fps. with 16" barrel.

TXGunNut

Hmmm...I have a pound of HS-7, was wondering what it was good for. Had an HK 94 about the time that powder was made.

Clark

30-30 brass in a 303 Savage with the bullet seated backwards.
The Sav99 lever, when pulled back, chambers the round by pushing the shoulder back.

TX Nimrod

IHMSA BB load in .30 Carbine 10" T/C barrel:

165 SIL RCBS cast bullet
16.5 grains Reloder 7, F205M
1500 fps, 99% effective on BB rams.

CAUTION: The above post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.