Your Most Unorthodox Load?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Last night, as I was loading some 204 rounds using IMR Trail Boss and Federal small pistol match primers, I began wondering "I wonder what the boys on TFL load up that's sort of.... wierd?"

Well?

RWNielsen

.357, 7gr Unique, 158g LSWC and a Federal #205 small rifle magnum
Loaded up 12 for a test and they worke fine in my GP-100 ;)
I got the primers as part of a trade and was worried they might not fire because of my light hammer spring. Just a test....

TATER

I form 357 mag cases into 256 Win Mags cases. Does that count?
Oh and I load for a .357 Maximum, not Magnum....Kinda different..:rolleyes:

chris in va

Probably not that weird, but...

My CZ 75 has a really tight throat and won't chamber cast boolits unless you really shorten the oal. It doesn't like .356's either, so I was advised to use the 358-125-RF mold which is for 38 Special. Works fine, provided I set it at 1.01oal. No, that's not a misprint.

FrankenMauser

20 grains of Trailboss in .270 Winchester with 130 grain Winchester Power Points? (getting rid of the bullets - I hate power points.) That load has the trajectory of a boat anchor. Calling it a rainbow trajectory would be an insult to the rainbow. ;)

2 grains of old (Herco?) Unique in .44 Mag, under wax bullets formed by dripping candle wax into a 240 grain RCBS bullet mold? .... Just so we could shoot frozen cow pies at 10 feet....

1,800 fps Hornady 55gr FMJs in .22 WMR?
(A wicked load, but don't try it at home... Without experience and knowing which brand of ammo comes with priming compound that will set off the powder required {which I won't divulge}, it's a very risky proposition. There were lots of hang fires, ruptured cases, and stuck bullets during that load's development.)

.358" 158gr SWCs in .380 Auto with small rifle primers?
(It's a .358" barrel.... I still haven't tried shooting them.)

Crankylove

1,800 fps Hornady 55gr FMJs in .22 WMR?
(A wicked load, but don't try it at home... Without experience and knowing which brand of ammo comes with priming compound that will set off the powder required {which I won't divulge}, it's a very risky proposition. There were lots of hang fires, ruptured cases, and stuck bullets during that load's development.)

But it was an interesting project..........thank god he came to his senses and gave up on it though.

zxcvbob

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

.30 Carbine: 11.5 grains of AA#7 with 115 grain cast bullets and Federal 205 primers. 1700+ fps from a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk barrel. (I don't know if this is a safe load for a M1 Carbine or not.) I won't mention my Blue Dot loads where the primers fell out after one firing, or my Herco loads where the case head separated (that may have been old brass.) :rolleyes:

.45 Colt: 7.5 grains Promo powder (about the same as Red Dot) with Lee 230 grain tumble lube bullets and any LP primer.

.357 Magnum: I haven't worked it up yet, but I'm gonna use 148 grain DEWC bullets and 2400 or AA#7 or Power Pistol to develop a rifle load.

Edward429451

44 Mag., plastic shot capsules with two 95 gr .355 fmj's base to base is a perfect fit. Fed 150 LP primer lighting 6.0 gr Unique, WW Super brass for a chronoed 1087 fps and strike an inch apart at 15-20 ft.

Virtually recoilless and makes my 6 shooter a 12 shooter! A sweet sweet running rabbit load.

I have another one but I can't put it to print because I'm pretty sure Dads do not have a statute of limitations and he may lurk here :D

Sevens

Not having a chrono and no true sense of adventure, I don't have any really good ones to play with the others here... :( ...but this is an interesting thread! :D

I suppose I have one unorthodox load -- as in, I doubt few people are making them. I'm loading .32 cal 71gr FMJ Winchester slugs (built for .32 Auto) in to .327 Federal Mag brass pushed by Bullseye powder.

There's no load data for doing this and repeated e-mails to Ben at ATK have been fruitless. This seems to be a venture that I'm doing alone.

I started with Berry's .32 cal 71gr plated bullets and running them at an estimated 1,000 FPS, so when I decided it was time to ramp it up, I moved to a true jacketed bullet. I really don't know how fast I'm pushing these currently but I think 1,200 or so is realistic. The limit? I don't see why I can't safely get them to at least 1,700 FPS or so with the right powder, but I have no idea if they will be accurate.

I need a chrono. :(

COSteve

38spl cases loaded as 'mini mag' loads for my 357mag leverguns. I wanted the same load density as a 357mag to give me medium performance in my 357mag leverguns. I found that if I used 13.5grns of H110, Wolf SRM primers, and a Zero 158grn JSP bullet, I'd achieve my desired load.

Quickload calculates the peak pressure as 21,200psi so this is definitely not a load for a 38spl weapon, however, out of a 357mag, it's a great min-velocity and plinking load out to 200+ yds as it clocks at 1,496fps out of my 20" carbine (Same bullet in my 357mag load clocks at 1,822fps).

The case density is a bit lower than a 357mag, there are no overpressure signs, and I've test fired a 20 case lot of 38spl brass with this load with no issues after 10 reloads. However, I did reload a case to failure and the case separated about 1/4" above the rim.

I didn't feel any difference but when I cycled the action the small case head popped out, leaving the rest of the case in the chamber. I opened the action and let it cool on a gun rack. When the chamber cooled enough, the remaining brass just fell out.

zxcvbob

I've wondered what a case head separation was like in a lever-gun. I don't worry about them in revolvers, but thought it might be more "exciting" (in a bad way) in a rifle so I'm a lot more careful with the brass I use for my Marlin.

Ozzieman

Pathfinder45,,,, you can’t let us off with that little information!!!!
How did they work and what did you shoot them out of?????
I shoot a lot of 44 cap and ball revolvers and also having a lot of 45 LC single action guns I have always wanted to try that but never had the guts.

BillCA

Years ago we loaded Speer's swaged 148gr HBWC bullets backwards, with the hollowbase forward. Powder was about 3.7 grains of Bullseye to get just about 900 fps out of an old Victory model .38 S&W (bore slugged .359"). Worked out pretty well. When fired from a .38 Special snubbie, into a racoon, the results were... spectacular.

We used a 3/8" deep plastic tray to make wax bullets. Spray the tray with PAM and then pour melted wax into the tray and let cool. We used primed cases at first, in .38, .45 and .41 mag and loaded them by simply using the case to "punch out" a plug.

One guy we used to shoot with created his own wildcat cartridge by necking down a .30 Carbine case to take a .243 bullet (6mm). He called it a 6x33mm. He had an old bolt rifle chambered for it and it was mild to shoot, even though he was getting about 2300fps out of it.

oneounceload

Going NON-metallic - loading my 12 gauge down to 28 gauge levels....in a heavy 12 gauge target gun, they are VERY easy on the shoulder and should be able to be used by anyone old enough to know that recoil isn't a good thing

DWFan

Lyman #358627 215gr SWC with Scots 4100 delivering close to 900 fps from my Dan Wesson M15-2 with a 2.5" barrel. I stumbled across this load a little over a year ago.
http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLyman358627.htm
When I put a 6" or 8" barrel on the M15-2, I use the Lyman #358429 173gr SWC in .38 Special brass loaded to duplicate the .38-44 Heavy Duty.
Both loads are quite accurate.

ADDED: Somewhere in my parts box I have an M15-2 cylinder thru-bored for the .357 Quadramax; four H&G #333 wadcutters stacked in a .357 Maximum case. If I remember right, I used Unique for it. The load data and bullet molds are long gone though.

Last edited:

TXGunNut

30 grains of 2400 under a 300 gr RP bullet in a .45-70. Nice mild load that is fast enough to burn consistently in the short barrel of a guide gun. Very accurate but seems to be a well-kept secret. Not anymore!