Your ammo inventory is based on what?

Manedwolf

for those of you with large numbers, how do you store your inventory (1:for safety in case of fire and or theft & 2: to preserve quality indefinitely) and do you ever consider it to be aged to the point of being questionable?

ammo_can.jpg

Makes sense, doesn't it? :D

lincoln1

yes of course the ammo can is the best place for safety. i guess i just need to find a decent surplus source. anybody?

9mmHP

Everything is in ammo cans or original case. Ammo won't "go bad" in anyone's lifetime. I stocked up when .308 it was $150/1000 and 9mm was $100/1000 because I remembered when they $450/1000 and $200/1000, respectively, in prior years. I have around 15,000 .22s and probably 30,000 in centerfire calibers. Having ammo makes me happy.

Justme

Having ammo makes me happy

The only legitimate reason to own anything. I read somewhere that thinking about and anticipating buying something new is usually more satisfying than actually buying it. When you find something that is an exception to this rule then buy buy buy.

Raider2000

To me it too is economics, & for that just in case scenario.

With:
1000 rds of 30-06 military ball
900 rds. of 30-06 hunting
1200 rds of 7.62X39 WOLF
500 rds of 12Ga OO-Buck
3-400 rds of 12Ga BB's
384 rds of .45ACP defence
500 rds .45ACP S&B ball
166 rds of 9mm defence
5-600 rds of 9mm ball
900 rds .22LR
400 rds .22mag

I never know when I get the bug to want to make a little noise at the range so having plenty on hand makes sence to me for when I do, also I'm in the works of aquiring some reloading gear to start reloading all the brass that I've been saving for a cupple a years.

FS2K

For me it has to do with availability.

Good quality ammunition is hard to come by here is all but the most populard calibers like .22 LR and 9mm.

So when I come across a case of decent ammo, I buy it.

5.56 X 45mm ammunition is GOLD here. There's always a supply of cheap junk .223 around, but not 5.56mm so when one of the stores here gets a shipment, I buy at least 1000 rounds. (2 Cases) minimum

7.62 X 39mm believe it or not is another round that's hard to get, that is if I don't want to pay $12.00 fpr a box of 20 Remingtons. (2 cases) minimum.

9 X 19mm is easy to get so I usually stock 400 practice rounds and 40 premium rounds.

.22 LR. 2 bricks

.357 Mags. 100 rounds

.38 spl. 500 rounds

12GA. Birdshot 50 rounds

12 GA #6 1 box of 25

.45 ACP 400 FMJ's (230 gr.) and 40 Premium Hyda-Shoks.

500 rounds of .30 Caliber M1 Ammo

20 rounds of .35 Remington

rugernut

as we all know, a gun without ammo is just a club. i buy in bulk whens its cheap. havent done that in a long time. but i buy 20 dollars worth of ammo every friday.any more with the price of ammo, it seems like i shoot my 9mms more and 22s

jclayto

Gosh fellows, I cant believe none of you have been man enough to admit what really controls your ammo inventory..Your Wife! Mine is based on how much my wife will let me spend :)

Just kidding with everyone, but sadly in my household thats about the truth :)

asianthug

I have slightly over 30,000 rds of ammo for all my guns from my last shopping trip. Ammo has really gone up in prices in certain caliber, especially AK related guns. I remember buying 1000 rds for 50 bucks 6 years ago at show. Now, most are going for almost 200 bucks at show. I got mine for 150 plus tax last week so I grab 5000 rds of that alone in addition to tons of .357 and .44 magnum, .40 caliber, .38 special, and 8 mm.

I hate to say "I should have bought those" after 08 election.

asianthug

the best way to store ammo is to take them out of their box and use the food zipper machine to air tight them in thick plastic bags. Then put them in ammo can. The surplus cans are good but the modern plastic cans are much better and better price too. Remember to throw them some of the moisture zapper packs you found in shoe boxes. They are great.

longtooth50

How many I have on hand at any given time depends on:
If I have just finished a reloading session or am down to a couple of hundred & need to load a BUNCH.
If I have found a good buy on factory.
If I have made a gun trade w/ ammo included. (I did a trade for a .45 about 6mo ago & got almost 1000 rds in the deal.)
On hand right now.
Reloads: 6000 .45ACP, 1000-.38sp, .380 for Mom 500,

Factory practice: 1000 .45acp, 9mm 300, .40S&W 250, .38sp 400, .357 75.
PD ammo for all pistols: 200
Rifle .308 2000
.300WSM 250
Shotgun 200.

22-rimfire

I keep what I shoot. I buy 22 target ammo in quantity (same lot #'s and all that good stuff). Been widening my 22 ammo brand selection of late. I tend to buy a lot of something and then use out of it until it gets low.... toilet paper, paper towels, deodorant, toothpaste, canned goods, meat, sugar, underware, socks, jeans, film (in a past life), etc. I rarely buy one of anything. Hmmm... guess I buy a lot of most things. Even toner for the printer.

TomG160

1. Because I can't imagine the price ever going down:(...
2. Because it's going to get shot up eventually...
3. Because if you have the money, there's really no reason not to have it...

3 reasons I came up with off the top of my head

Yellowfin

Same as everyone else, opportunity of prices, availability of .264 and .25-20 and specific 16 gauge loads (rare around here). Now that I just found out there's a rifle range right down the road from me that I've never even seen I am getting the urge to splurge. I also really REALLY need to stock up on surplus .45 ammo before it goes up again.

2002gti

a agree with the posts about ammo prices increasing thus the reason i buy buy buy. im sitting on 8000+ rounds of X39 that i picked up for around $85 a case, 4000+ rounds of .223 that i cost averaged for around $120 a case and maybee another 8000 of other handgun, rifle, shotgun, and rimfire rounds. it seems to make for a decent investment.

crowbeaner

I believe that it is better to have too much than too little. I remember working all week long on the family farm for the .50 to buy a box of .22 shorts to go frog hunting for dinner. I also remember my neighbor casting bullets in the kitchen over a wood stove to feed his beloved Pythons as a kid. I remember not being able to practice with the single shot .22 that I grew up with. I remember having to show my Dad the woodchucks I shot. I remember the comment the local PD made when they made off with all my guns and ammo. "Holy S*** he's got more ammo here than we do downtown" Yeah, been there, done that. I'll keeep stocking up while I'm breathing, and so what; I don't intend to be short handed ever again buckeroo. CB

Dead-Nuts-Zero

My ammo is based on "MPWI".

(My Personal Wealth Index),
also known as my wallet.

Man can't have enough ammo...Never ever!
Ammo in the closet is possibly as good as money in the bank. If the price keeps going up.
Always buy ammo when your in the gun shop or the store, don't matter how much you buy, but I always buy some. I have quantities dating back to the 60’s. I try to shoot some of it once in awhile but it’s mostly shotgun slugs and skeet and trap loads. I’m into rifle and pistol shooting these days so I buy more rimfire and components every chance I get.

If I only have a few bucks in my pocket, that dictates how much I purchase. If it’s on sale, I get a fair quantity, stock up-pay later if I have to.

Now I forgot the question, :confused::confused:

I must have answered it by now. :eek:

Don P

Ammo needs

are based on my wallet. Right now roughly 15,000 + rounds in various calibers. I'll start reloading shortly and that will grow my on hand to 22,000 +:cool:

Derius_T

Is it sad that I actually include ammo in my monthy budget? The same budget that includes house, food, electic, ect? :confused: