Your ammo inventory is based on what?

Guy B. Meredith

I used to be in competition shooting around 1200 rounds/mo. Until I got on a marksmanship jag I was typically still shooting 300 or so rounds per range trip after I stopped competing.

I handload all my revolver ammo and never seem to have time to crank out rounds so run as large a batch as possible each time I am at the press.

Average Joe

A few years ago, they actually had sales on ammo. I would buy when it was cheaper, in large quantities, before it went up again. Thats all out the window now, with these crazy high prices. I am back to shooting .22"s

Capt_Vin

Like Evildog said, I too spend alot of time at the range, usually with my wife or one if not all of my kids (target shooting is our family "sport") and I compete a few times a month, so having bulked ammo on hand for us is more of a necessity than anything. Even when I go to the range alone, it is a common session for me to blow off 2-300 rounds in a few hours. Now, with the family, we will easily go thru 600-700 rounds.

Another reason is the price, as others stated. Although alot of my supply is handloaded, the rest of it is store bought, and with the prices going up by the week, ya never know when the day will come where a box of ammo will cost as much as the gun itself.

I also like to keep a certain amount of extra on hand for each weapon....just in case some politician decides to start something with another country or group and the crap hits the fan here on American soil or that same politician succeeds in banning firearms and or ammo sales.

Taurus_9mm

I try to rotate my ammo purchases in regards to caliber. For example, I may pick up a couple of bricks of .22 LR one time, then 5 bricks of 9mm another, then another caliber for the next purchase. If I've just bought ammo for one caliber but find a good buy on it a few days or weeks later, I'll go ahead and buy it -- but try to continue with the rotation I've established.:D

rcupka

A combination of opportunity and concern. If I am at a gun show or find a sale on something I have a use for, I will buy it. In the case of 22lr., You can never have too much and prices are still low. Also I am somewhat concerned of the actions of the anti gun lobby and things they are instigating.

SLOMountaineer

24k and counting...Because most of my friends are not able to afford inventory so when the revolution starts I will have to supply all of them with guns AND ammo.:D

sectshun8

Being only the casual shooter at best, I'v enever had more than 1,000 at any given time... and half of that was .22LR. The rest, .22Mag as that's all i currently own. But this thread got me thinking, after putting down range 300 rounds this past weekend... I NEED MORE AMMO!

But other than need, finding a good deal always stirs me to purchase more than I need.

MD_Willington

I have a lot of .223 because it was FREE, a guy at work was getting rid of "some bullets & AK magazines" turned out to be a huge box of .223 and 13 factory mini-14 magazines, 20 round factory magazines...

I've just picked up ammo here and there and eventually it all adds up...

leadcounsel

Scales of economy. Cheaper to buy in bulk. I don't handload so when a good deal appears I try to take advantage.

And a little 'just in case'

+1

I keep 1000-2000 for my main calibers, others I just buy in bulk and sometimes happen to have a lot of ammo.

Jkwas

A better question might be: why DONT some people stock up?
I have only one reason. The local ranges more and more are excluding outside ammo. I keep enough for about 2 range trips or so. This way I won't get "stuck" with ammo I can't shoot if they suddenly change their policies. Darn shame. :(

Manedwolf

The local ranges more and more are excluding outside ammo.

That's called padding their profit margin with overpriced ammo.

I can see restricting anything but boxed factory ammo, since they don't want kabooms. I can see only their ammo to be used in their rental guns.

But if they said "our ammo only in your gun", I'd take my business elsewhere. Especially since "their ammo" might be reloads.

budget concerns drive my ammo 'stash'. with an eye toward "shtf', but I figure I've got enough for awhile. the most I have is for my AMT .22LR and Ruger MKII. then my 9MM and .45, Mini-30, 12 & 20 ga, then 380 and .32 I 'network w/some people one has a cabin backed up in the mountains, they have all different types calibers from lever 30-30 and .357 up to Garand and semi-auto Browning, Rem, Glocks, S&W's. nearly all have a shotgun and .22LR.

lincoln1

ammo storage

for those of you with large numbers, how do you store your inventory (1:for safety in case of fire and or theft & 2: to preserve quality indefinitely) and do you ever consider it to be aged to the point of being questionable?

Jkwas

But if they said "our ammo only in your gun", I'd take my business elsewhere. Especially since "their ammo" might be reloads.
Yes, that's what I do. I travel to the next county to shoot. I went to one range nearby that excluded outside ammo. They had this nasty PMC Korean target ammo that was so dirty and nasty, my revolver stopped turning after about 40 rounds. I told them about it, and they said it must be my gun. That was about 500 rounds ago, and it hasn't been my gun since.
It's their range, and they can make whatever rules they want, you don't have to go there, but, They should at least provide good quality ammo at a fair price. The range I primarily shoot at now allows outside ammo, and their target ammo is priced fairly. Not cheaply, but reasonably so. After all, they do have a business to run and if they go out of business that's one less place to shoot ;)