Your ammo inventory is based on what?

BillCA

Another thread asked how much ammo you have on hand. After reading how much some folks have and how little others have, a question came to mind.

Why do some folks stock up on "so much" ammo?

This is really aimed at folks who keep 1,000 rounds per gun or caliber and/or have well over 10,000 rounds for multiple guns.

I'm sure some are frequent shooters, others buy in bulk when there are sales and others have their own reasons.

Evil Dog

I'm one of the 1000+ rounds per gun group. My average range trip is 250-300 rounds, 2 or 3 times a month. All reloads, I haven't bought factory in years. My 1000 round minimum is mostly so that I will feel that I have enough to play with.

shaggy

My FFL is a friend and often lets me in on large ammo purchases, usually at his cost. If he's buying a pallet or two of ammo, I'll get the call; "how many cases you want?" Besides that, I have a few machine guns and tend to burn through a lot of ammo when I go shooting. Hammering away on a beltfed, its not difficult to burn through a full case of ammo in a matter of minutes. Of course, properly stored its not going to go bad for a long while so I've always thought its better to buy it while I can, rather than wait until sometime in the future when the price may increase, supplies may get short, etc. A perfect example is the current ammo crunch. I'm sure glad I bought a few cases of SA, Port, and Aussie 308 at about $.26/rd now that people are charging almost double that for the stuff.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Manedwolf

1. Prices keep going up, up, up, up, up. I paid less than $100 about a year ago for a 480rd pack of GP-11 7.5x55 Swiss. Now it's $260. Likewise with 5.56 from anyone.

2. Never know when the Democrats will ban more stuff. With the popularity of AR pistols, I expect a ban on steelcore M855 surplus any day.

3. Katrina. I know people who went through it. Same sort of thing can happen anywere. Enough said.

Phelptwan

My reasoning is more along the line of every once in a while there are sales. I grab as much as I can whenever there is a good price.

Hemicuda

I buy when there's a good deal, and I buy whatever I can afford... I stock it so I have plenty when and if I need it...

JohnKSa

Administrator
1. Economy.

2. I don't contribute to nor get bitten by the occasional panics that either create or exacerbate ammunition shortages.

3. Two shooters in the house and I do the buying for both.

4. Occasional high volume shooting. When the shooting bug really bites me, I can easily go through more than 1,000 rounds in less than two months.

5. Because I CAN right now. One day that may change. Legislation, change in financial situation, drastically increased prices may one day prevent me from buying significant quantities of ammunition. When/if that happens I'll at least have enough ammo on hand that it will be awhile before I have to buy brass to reload.

redblair

Scales of economy. Cheaper to buy in bulk. I don't handload so when a good deal appears I try to take advantage.

And a little 'just in case'

B

stevelyn

My criteria is based on the likely time frame before I'm able to fly back into Los Anchorage. I expect at least six months or so between trips.

Therefore I hoard ammo, powder, primers, percussion caps, grocery staples, frozen meat packs and specialty things like halibut hooks and leaders.

Everything else I can get shipped in as needed.

44 AMP

Staff
Well, I have over 10,000 rnds for multiple guns

In fact, I have nearly 10,000 .22LR (I haven't bought any in a while, and have shot some off, so probably around 8-9k right now.

I reload for more than 25 cartridges, and for some guns I have a few thousand rounds (.308, .223, 9mm, .45ACP), for others I have a few hundred (6.5mmSwede, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54R, .303British, 7.7mm Jap, .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, .45-70, .458, etc.) And then there are the pistols.....

I have been building up quantity for quite a few years, usually by reloading more rounds than I shoot. Load 500 .45auto, shoot 200, put the rest away for later. Stuff like that.

DesertDawg

I was 10 years old when my dad got me started in reloading ammo. That was 51 years ago! Anyway, I've never forgotten one very sage piece of advice that he told me, even when I was only a kid.

"They (the government) may never be able to take our guns away from us, but they'll impose so many taxes on the ammunition that only the rich folks will be able to shoot. That's why you need to learn how to reload your own ammo!"

Well, if you recall, several years ago, the late U.S. Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-NY) authored legislation that would have imposed a 10,000% increase on the taxes for ammunition! That legislation was not submitted, but Moynihan explained that the "timing was wrong". Before his death, Moynihan supposedly handed Hillary Clinton that legislative document, and she supposedly vowed to submit it at "the right time"!

There have been 2 failed attempts to increase the "per round" taxes on ammo in California over the past few years. The first would have imposed a 5-cents PER ROUND tax, and that included .22LR ammo! Shortly after that bill was defeated, the Dems didn't call it quits, for another state legislator wrote a bill that would have imposed 10-cents PER ROUND on loaded ammo! That would add $5 to every box of 50 rounds....and the already existing sales tax would be applied AFTER that! Essentially, a box of 50 rounds of .22 ammo, with the "going price" of, say, $2, would "suddenly" cost you almost $12 after all of the taxes were added on!

Lastly, to answer your question, I've always used the theory of "noneofyabusiness" when it comes to divulging how much ammo I might have on-hand. Don't ask, don't tell!

JWT

My inventory is based partially on funds available and to a greater extent what's on sale. If there's bargains to be had, I buy it and store it. I tend to buy in volume when the price is right since I don't see prices going down.

john1911

The insatiable urge to hoard :p.

They rounds I don't reload; if I find a good sale, I'll buy several boxes. I've had limited shooting time lately so it's started to add up. I've got a pretty good supply of 45acp.

I try to keep a large quantity of components for those I reload. Once again, I buy small amounts every time I'm at the gunstore.

The Tourist

Cost.

First, I get to shoot more if the ammo is cheap.

And after more than thirty years of reloading, if I need a very accurate round for varminting, I can easily assemble the needed cartridges from decades of trial and error data.

Even cast bullets. Currently, all of my cast bullets have a "4" in their size.

Having said that, they all go 'near' the same hole. And that also includes plinkers from the Dillon press.

johnbt

"This is really aimed at folks who keep 1,000 rounds per gun or caliber and/or have well over 10,000 rounds for multiple guns."

I'm lazy is why and stocking up for retirement. I buy bulk on sale so I don't have to run to the stupid store when I'm out of something. I don't buy toilet paper or paper towels by the roll or 4-pack either. This is really important now that I'm shopping for my parents.

Ever see anybody at Wal-Mart with a cart piled full of Depends? That's me after my father calls from assisted living and says my mother in the nursing/Alzheimer's unit is almost out and to bring a pack or two (@ 18 to a pack.) They're a buck apiece if the home provides them.

I'm really happy I bought a few cases of Wolf Match Target and Extra back when the WMT was $15 a brick. Now it's 3x that.

John

buckster

Get it now

Before you can't. I found a 1000 rounds of SS 109 and bought it all for 35.00/ 100. Every time Hillary, Obama or Guliani or Kucinich opens their mouths I reload. I want 5000 of .223, .45, 12 ga and 10,000 .22. Then the reloading sustains it. It WILL be a new currency some day, like potatoes, gas, food and water.

BillCA

It WILL be a new currency some day, like potatoes, gas, food and water.

I was expect more people to put forth a thought like that. It implies a breakdown of civil order of some kind and the need to "be prepared". Happily, it seems most are doing it for economics rather than fear.

Living in California, with earthquakes a serious threat, the primary concern would be post-event looters. Those of you in Florida probably understand this better than most.