WWII- what weapon would you choose?

cosmolinelover

Its WWII, for some reason the Army is letting you choose what weapon to carry throughout your tour... You're unclear at this point what, if any type of combat you will actually be seeing, so you really don't know what weapon would best suit your particular role in the war.

What do you choose? The trusty M1 Garand? Its good for fairly long range work and can definitely be used effectively in CQB situations as well, although its definitely not optimal for the job. What about an M1 Carbine? Its sure nice and light to carry around but does it pack enough punch? Thompson? BAR? 1903? Grease Gun? :D

Sturmgewehre

I think I would go with the Tommy Gun. Most fights took place in pretty tight places. Cities, jungles, etc. If I needed a rifle, I'm sure the Tommy would allow me to capture an enemy rifle from a dead soldier.

FirstFreedom

In the Pacific/Phillipines theatre, gimme an M2 carbine. Can't see much past 50 or 100 yards in the tropical jungles anyway, and I can carry a heck of a lot more ammo, not to mention have FA suppressive fire capability. Thompson close 2nd choice.

In Europe, I'll take the Garand please.

MDman

well if its WW2 and I can use ANY weapon im going for the Lee Enfield mark 4, I just love those things. but if I have to use an American rifle, its hard to beat a M1 Garand.

Lavid2002

hmmm

M1 garand please sergant :D
You can always aim better but you can make a rifle more accurate in the field : P hence why I wouldn't chose the thompson

cosmolinelover

Well I guess I never said it had to be American did I? Well an MP-44 might fit the bill then....or maybe even a Russian PPsh-41 (they're great in Call of Duty:D )

...but if I'm going with US options, I think I'm gonna go with the BAR.

Tom2

Remember you will be humping this thing around with you for miles and miles and it will get pretty heavy, as I imagine a small percentage of the time is actual combat and the rest of the time is march march march. So I would go with the M1 for front line, carbine for rear areas, and leave the very very heavy BAR for some other sucker to hump around. Thompson weighs as much as the rifle and is only useful at close ranges. Well that is why they fielded a variety of arms in the units. You fight as a unit not an individual, and hopefully someone has what is needed available with you to CYA. Or you, theirs. Individual combat is for ninjas, gladiators, and superheroes.

Deaf Smith

Garand and 1911, unless under some very special circumstances.

Yes I like the M1 Carbine, and the Thompson at close range is a mean one, but the M1 Garand, overall, is the best one. But because of the enblock clip, I'd keep my 1911 handy just in case I was down to a low number of shots (the Garand is not an easy rifle to top off.)

I sure wish the Garand had been made with a 10 shot detachable mag. But that's water that is way way under the bridge.

Trapper L

Make mine a Bren. Extremely reliable, accurate for a spray gun, few moving parts including the clips which have no spring to break. The weight of the ammo is the only drawback.