Would you feel guilty shooting a "collectible"?

pete2

I bought a new SAA in about 1979, put it on a closet shelf, not gonna shoot it. within a month it was at the range, shot it 30 times, very accurate, trigger sucks. Put it up, plan to do an action job and shoot it. It's still in the planning stage. May sell it and buy the STI that I want. If I own it I've shot it. Bought a new Ruger 1911 yesterday. Took me an hour and a half to get to the range with it. It's a Ruger, Rugers are really great guns but I don't think I'll ever consider one a collector's item. It's gotta be at least a Colt or S&W.

bob.a

I have nearly enough guns, although there's no such number, really.

I have a couple that would depreciate in value if shot; I'd prefer not to shoot them for that reason. I have a few that are so old I'd never be able to find parts to repair them if something snapped; they're attractive specimens, so I'd rather pass them forward in functional condition, given the choice.

The others, I have no problem shooting.

Everyone faces choices; do what you think is proper, and don't criticise someone because their choices are not yours. Circumstances, and people, vary.

If I had the rarest, most valuable handgun in the world in mint unfired condition with box and papers I would , judging from past experience, drop it on concrete, breaking the grips and scarring the finish, bugger a couple of screw heads taking it apart and then stow the box somewhere damp and discover the mold and mildew sometime after the point of no return. Then I would show it to one of those people with the caustic to everything sweat and not notice until their prints were permanently etched into the finish. I can turn collectable into shooter grade in a heartbeat. That's why I buy pre abused guns, it saves me time, money and effort.