Would you feel guilty shooting a "collectible"?

My 1st ( now the MRS uses it ) CASS rifle was a pre safety limited edition Rossi fully engraved, saddle ring, special wood, lever carbine in 38 / 357... had a couple handling dings, but the action was still unfired crisp... it really doesn't have any more dings, after a year of CASS, but has now slicked up nicely... I paid less for it than for another comparable rifle, so I felt no guilt using it... my ( new ) CASS rifle is a newer model stainless & brass lever gun in 45 Colt... I'm pretty sure that one was unfired as well, ( as the firing pin was defective ) but that one shoots nice now, after it's been repaired...

honestly I'd shoot the golden spike, in conditions that wouldn't damage the rifle, I see that all the time, they make so many commemorative lever guns, it's unlikely any will ever be worth more than the base gun in good shape... at least within the owners life time... same could be said for some revolvers... I also have a NAA Mini "snake eyes" edition, with the case, cards & poker chips... I actually have shot the gun enough, that I often carry it on my poker nights, or to other formal functions, where the tiny gun slips nicely into a pocket...

rodfac

I have one and only one "Safe Queen"...it's a 1931 vintage 1903 Springfield National Match, complete with O'hare sight covers, the Star gage report, and the sales receipt from Camp Perry to the original owner. It's been scrutinized by a number of high end collectors as 99% condition...as good as they get....

That said, I took the old girl back to Camp Perry in 2006, exactly 75 yrs after its last appearance there, and used it to shoot the Springfield match...I silver medaled with it, and also managed to shoot 92 at 600 yds the day before during the sight in practice. I nearly missed the Springfield Match after I'd taken it over to the Marine's team trailer to see if they would touch up the trigger for me. Getting it back out of their hands was a chore and a compliment to their respect for a great rifle.

That was the last time it's been fired...and will remain so, til my boys get it. Just holding that old musket is an experience, let alone shooting it. It was a boyhood dream to own one, and I was extremely lucky to find it, almost 20 years ago...and for the princely sum of $1600 it was mine. I've been offered a lot more since, but it'd be the last rifle to leave my house.

There's collecting, and then there's Collecting...I'm in the business of Collecting memories, shooting memories, and that ancient '03 is one of them.

Rod

PzGren

The difference in between a good and a bad performing gun will be lost on the poor wretch that does not use the gun for the intended purpose: to shoot it.

Grant D

myusername...
I bought a "Golden Spike" a few years ago for $375.00 used,and now I see used ones going for $600.00 or $700.00
I use mine for hog hunting.
But If mine had been NIB I would'nt have shot it.
And you can always find a used 94 to shoot.

Ibmikey

My idea on any firearm that I own is to shoot it, quite a few "collector" guns are in the stable. Upon research I found one of my pistols has a logo placing it in a shipment of 500 guns to Nazi Germany "the where abouts of this order is unknown" And like new condition....I shot it before it was placed with other WWII collectables. Firearms were made to be fired and most made well enough to fire 100 years later so let em' do what they were made for. As I said "my idea".

Winchester_73

Wow, so based on this thread I have been doing it wrong all along. :eek::p

Truth be known, approx 50% of my guns are unfired by me, and at least 25% of my collection being unfired by me is on purpose. I have 2 that are truly unfired, by anyone. I guess you guys would have a field day with my guns. Some of them are hard to find ammo for though, so you may have trouble shooting all of them. ;)

A little about me: when I got into guns, my wife imposed a strict gun budget on me. Only X amount, X often, and if I had no money, I either had to work OT to have the gun stuff, or I had to sell something. When you have a budget, you make decisions due to that budget. I decided then to be frugal with my guns, and look at them more as investments than simple tools. I would rather sell a gun for $400 that I paid $300 for at that time, than pay $400, and sell for $200 to buy something else I wanted. I started off being careful about all of that, just so that I could have guns, and afford what I wanted. Years later, my wife and I's finances changed, and so now I really don't have to sell to buy what I want, but, I still do at times. My point is that being frugal about this stuff (Within reason) and not wasting any money on this stuff, in any way, became a habit with me, and I've adapted everything else to that. I do often buy guns just to shoot them, but I also often buy guns just for collecting. I feel like I have the best of both world's in a way, and so I never long to shoot something that I bought as a collectible firearm.

Here is a question for you all: do you guys think that *I* should feel guilty or weird for not shooting so many of my guns? Or do you think that since I have a healthy rotation of shooters, that is enough?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Guilt is a silly word to use when talking about using a firearm.

Guilt implies that you've done something morally wrong. Whether you do or do not shoot a gun, it really can not be morally "wrong".

Now, I might feel *foolish* if I shot a gun that was worth $X and made it worth $1/2X by shooting it but I certainly wouldn't feel "guilty". There is absolutely no moral consideration whatsoever.

Hawg

Here is a question for you all: do you guys think that *I* should feel guilty or weird for not shooting so many of my guns? Or do you think that since I have a healthy rotation of shooters, that is enough?

I cant answer for you but if it were me I would feel sick and disgusted. I may be an extremist but guns were made to be fired. To not do so and keep them locked away never to feel the heat of combustion should be a crime.

Winchester_73

Good point, Brian.

Here is another consideration: much like the greenery who grows xmas trees for us all, so we can have a real Xmas tree at Xmas, I nuture and keep firearms, I research them, and sometimes fix them up to how they once were (no refinish, but perhaps parts replacement or simple repairs) and I keep them in great condition, so you guys can have them in the future. I preserve them and educate others about them so the people after me can have a nice, original, high condition, working firearm which is also often collectible. Then, just like a xmas tree, months after you get it, you guys can toss it, neglect it, burn it, put it in the trash, or drag it behind your truck and dump it off at some remote location. I promise not to cry too much. :(

Its a reality that I have to accept. After my guns leave my nest, they will have to fend for themselves. Its only natural. I hope that their next caretaker looks after them and cherishes them the way I did, but of course, that does not always happen. In a way, I am provding everyone with a steady stream of their favorite old time guns, so they can shoot the snot out of it, carry it, or neglect/punish the gun. Without people keeping guns nice, original, etc, you guys couldn't brag about shooting or carrying collectible firearms.

In all seriousness, often times shooting them is not a problem, but they are an investment to me often times, so I don't care if I shoot them, and other times I flat out don't want to shoot them.

csmsss

I don't understand the OP. They are your firearms to do with as you please. "Guilt" doesn't enter the equation unless they belong to someone else.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I used to be concerned about collector guns but since I read a post by someone who said he is going to buy a new, common, current production gun and wanted to know its collector value, I have concluded that "collectors item" has lost all its meaning. Many "collectors item" guns, especially military weapons, have been fired thousands of times, so why would a few more rounds made a difference? Unless the gun is 1) rare and 2) new or near new, it really is not very collectible, if by that is meant valuable. Obviously anything is collectible, from fallen tree leaves to used chewing gum wads IF someone wants to collect them. The difference is whether someone else thinks the item is collectible and is willing to spend more for it than for a similar item that does not meet the "collectible" status.

Jim

MLeake

I felt no guilt at all shooting my WWII issued M1917 Colt, nor my then-unfired NIB S&W 13-3.

Then again, I didn't buy them to look at.

WINCHESTER... we've talked about such in the past, & I fully see your point... however one of my points of shooting valuable / collector guns, was do I have someone to share the experience with ( I've shot them all already... or at least most, so they don't need to be shot again, unless there is a special reason to shoot those couple of extra special guns... that can be an old buddy or relative that used to have one of such guns, or anyone really, that can truly appreciate how "special" the gun is, that we are shooting... of course my special guns don't get beat up ( if I can help it ) & shooting most won't really hurt them... I'm also prepared to repair ( not dispose of ) anything that may just happen to get damaged during normal use... I guess that speaks mostly of old guns...

I have bought "new" guns as an investment, with no intention of shooting them, & with every intention of selling them for a profit... some increased in value a lot, as speculated, & others did not, & often on those I chose to shoot them down the road... if it was a gun I thought I'd like, I'd keep it, but I've also traded unfired or rarely fired guns that I just couldn't warm up to, for something I really wanted later on...

to the O.P. treat all your guns with the respect they deserve, & shoot them if the desire is greater than the potential profit from selling the gun unfired later

fastbolt

Would you feel guilty shooting a "collectible"?

Nope. I've done it and I'd do it again (as long as they're mechanically safe to fire, of course). "Guilt" has nothing to do with it for me.

I enjoy shooting & using firearms, even those that would be considered "collectibles" by dedicated collectors.

I'm not a "collector" for the sake of maintaining a firearms collection.

BuckRub

They better be glad they're in a museum. If they were mine I'd shoot them. I don't believe a gun was made to not be shot.

BigJimP

Should you wait for a better deal on a "shooter" vs a new in box gun, you'll have to pay a premium for ?? Depends on your budget...and whether it makes any difference to you or not.

Everybody should do what they want....I have buddies that have safe queens they bought new and don't shoot...old guns, new guns, whatever.../ it doesn't matter...

just because I choose to shoot older guns - that I find new in box - doesn't mean you should ../ I do what works for me.

2ndsojourn

I have a couple collectables that I only take out once in a while, because they're not 'daily shooters', and I don't want to chance messing them up. My utility guns do range and plinking duty. I have an early Springfield 1903 that I've had for almost 30 years and haven't shot.. Yet.