Worst mistake during a training session.

Maximus856

The worst I've seen is people assuming since there weapon is down it's safe to step in front of it on a machine gun range. Also, people stopping on movement to contact if they had a stoppage.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Certainly not the worst, but maybe the most unique. During an off duty / BUG qualification, I shifted my grip on my Walther PPK/S and got a nasty case of slide bite.

It wasn't serious, but I was on blood thinners at the time, so it looked like someone took an ax to my hand. It was a rapid fire exercise with a reload, so I continued through the stage.

The range master spotted both hands covered in blood and dripping on the ground, and called an immediate cease-fire. He thought I shot myself :eek: :D.

I did qualify, but cleaning the gun later was a real job. NEVER leave even the tiniest amount of blood on a blued firearm! :eek: :(

chrisbarcelo

Well, the worst thing Ive encountered in the firing range was this. I was in the target range one day and there was this guy who was trying to demonstrate how to clear a malfunction to his wife or girlfriend. The guy was racking the slide back and forth and to my horror the barrel of his pistol every time he racks it was pointing in my general direction. I told the range officer about it and went home. No sense in staying there when people cant even handle a firearm safely.:mad:

45Gunner

Certainly not the worst but the most common thing I see as an Instructor and RSO is shooters pointing a loaded gun either at themselves or fanning the firing line. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is so difficult about the concept of "don't point at anything you don't want to destroy?" Some people have photographic memories, it just takes a long time for the film to develop.

threegun

At the Pawnshop I work an employee pawned a cheap 380 bryco (if memory serves me). After racking the slide, with magazine removed, and quickly inspecting the chamber this guy dry fires the gun. He repeats this action numerous times after the customer was gone. Finally as he talk casually to a coworker he cocked the pistol and as he held it sideways and slightly upward pulled the trigger and it fired.

Apparently it had a 32acp round in the pipe that was small enough to slide up the chamber far enough to be missed. When he raised the guns angle it rested against the striker hole and detonated. The bullet had very little energy and only dented a slot wall after penetrating the corner of an uncle mikes holster box (missed the holster).

Dabull

More of a funny than a scary...

A friend of mine who is not a self-described "gun person" had to qualify on the M9 before deploying. During the qualification, she had to shoot two rounds, drop the mag, load a fresh one, and shoot a two more within 10 seconds. She was told to keep the muzzle pointed downrange and not take her eyes from the target as she changed magazines...therefore, she should place the fresh magazine in an easily accessible location...like a front pocket.

So she fires her two, drops the empty, and reaches for the fresh one to load...except it won't go in. She keeps trying to slip it in the mag well it won't budge no matter how she positions it. As her clock is running out, she finally looks down and sees she had been trying (and failing) to load her cell phone.

Madcap_Magician

I was on a line of about 20 automatic riflemen when the most retarded (fortunately since ETS'd) soldier in the company turned around, swept the entire line twice with a loaded M249... bolt locked back, safety off, asking how to engage the safety.

FM12

I sometimes visit a range that has NO range officers. The owner lets various persons rent the ranges and they are left to their own devices and safety practices. I've seen several Newbies show up with no idea of whats going on, sweeping everybody and handeling their handguns with their finger on the trigger. I usually leave shortly after they show up.

Clueless. Idiots.

Range owner setting himself up for a big lawsuit after someone is hurt or killed. He's a legend in his own mind also.

ilikesa

I'll bite: two stories, one of me, the other of a lady I had training with.

First, the lady. She was going through POST certification (police training) and had failed the firearms section several times (she was trying to be certified, and I HOPE she never passed.) After watching her go through the practice session once, I decided that I DID NOT want to be on the line with her, as she constantly swept the line when/if she had a malfunction. I think they dismissed her after a few times.

My dumb story. I usually carry my extra mag(s) on my left side in a velcro pouch when I CC. I had recently bought an Applegate-Fairburn folding fighter (great knife btw) and had it in a similar velcro case next to my magazine. I tried to load the knife twice on an exercise, and then was relieved to realize the mistake of keeping another pouch next to my ammo pouch on the range and not on the street.

DanThaMan1776

I have only been with the shooting community for 3 years now, so my worst is probably mild for you gents.

I digress.. I have been hit by #4 birdshot at about 100 yards.. kinda hurt

And once a guy was doing draw and fire drills at the pistol range and swept me with his hammer back, safety off, and finger on the trigger. i was a wee bit ******

kadima

Never had (finger crossed) or witnessed serious incidents at the firing range.

I had a close look at the business end of an AK a couple of times, but it wasn't in a training session and the militiamen although drunk had no finger on the trigger, but I digress...

Only funny thing that I can report is that once I shared a Tanfoglio (Italian clone of a CZ) with a friend during a training session.

I am left handed so the magazine button was on the right side, this friend has big hands so he kept losing the magazine....

K.

BillCA

A long time ago at a local outdoor range was a gentleman shooting a S&W Model 49 Bodyguard -the one with the shrouded hammer- whilst sitting in a folding chair at the range table. No problem... except that he took to firing single action and he would bring the gun up next to his ear, muzzle pointed behind the firing line while cocking it. The RO was busy at the far end of the rifle line so when the guy started to raise his hand, I blocked it. I crouched down and informed the gentleman of his error, why it was a safety issue and to please keep the muzzle downrange. To my surprise, he went ballsitic because I was not the RO and told me to mind my own Mo-Fo'n business. When I told the RO, he said "Serves you right for buttin' in." ***? I never went back to that range.

A couple of years ago someone had a 7.62 Tok chambered CZ 52 at the range. I didn't directly see the action but figured it out from the after-action mess. The safety wasn't and our nimrod shooter decided to let his brother try the gun. He points the gun sideways--down the line-- and pushes down the safety. *KerPow!" Five lanes to the guy's left a revolver flies through the air and everyone is jumping back off the line. The wheelgun owner was extremely tee'd off and headed right for the guy. Lots of bodies calming people down. The 7.62x25 round whizzed past 3 occupied & 1 empty lane and struck the shooter's 1968 Colt Python right at the base of the front sight. Sight gone, barrel rib fractured and the end of the barrel distorted. The CZ shooter ended up buying himself an $1800 ruined gun and being asked to leave the range.

When California implemented it's first training program for security guards in the mid-70's, some of their contract instructors were barely qualified to grind garbage. One such manure-shoveller insisted that the lands & grooves inside a barrel were there, not to impart spin in the bullet but "to let gasses blow by the bullet, otherwise the barrell will explode". ***? Same guy claimed that a barrel would wear out in 5,000 rounds and reqiure factory replacement. Several of us called him on this misinformation and he reacted as if we'd suggested his parents had never married. :rolleyes: At the range session, he told us to shoot one-handed because "a two handed hold will get you killed." :confused: After the class, I got enough people to write complaints to Sacramento that they tightened up on the instructor qualifications.

Murdock

At the club one day some of the bubbas were on the the 50-yard pistol range firing AKs and other military carbines. When they got done they strolled back over to the 100-yard range. One guy had a rifle with a carrying handle like an AR or FAL (it was some sort of AK variant). He was very casual about where the muzzle was pointed, as he was carrying it like a piece of luggage, and he swept me with it.

I told him I didn't realize that they made AKs in .75 caliber. He looked surprised, and told me it was only a .30. I replied, "It sure looked like a .75 when you pointed it at my guts a few seconds ago." He apologized.

Last weekend I took a buddy out to teach him some basic close-range defensive shooting. He's a life-long rifle shooter and hunter, an active cowboy action competitor, and a gun dealer. He's new to the semi-auto, and I guess more focused on "How does this thing work?" than on where the muzzle was pointed. Had to correct him twice about muzzle direction after being swept, and worked hard to keep his finger off the trigger unless looking over the sights.

I understand better now why trainers like teaching the relative simplicity of the DA revolver manual of arms compared to the SA semiauto pistol

My buddy was just not at all familiar with the concept of a hot range, and appears to be slow to learn new motor skills. The "newness" of a different type of handgun and a different shooting discipline derailed his one-track mental railroad.

Never assume that just because somebody has handled guns a great deal that they know what they are doing.

kadima

I am glad that most of the shooters at my firing range have been trained at the Italian taxpayer's expenses...

K.

kraigwy

I've seen a lot of goofs, but the worse, "mistake" would have to be when I was running the Machine Gun Matches at Ft Lewis WA, for the MAC Reg VI, National Guard Championships.

One guy was having trouble with his M-60, kept jamming. I simply told him, to hold off at this stage and I'd fix the gun for him.

Instead, he put in a fresh belt, which jammed about the 4th or 5th round. He jumped up started kicking the gun, then picked it up and threw it. It fired a couple rounds when it hit the ground. Don't know if you guys ever saw a run a way gun, but it could be hairy.

Second mistake was a Range Officer grabbing the would be machine gunner, and throwing him over the berm and commence to pound the crap out of him.

The Match director was on the line at the time, he forgot to include the range officers actions when he wrote up his report justifying my disqualifying that state's MG Team.

booker_t

I'll put this here since it's relevant, instead of started a new thread.

A couple weeks ago I went to the local range I frequent most often and rented a semi-auto I wanted to try. The guy behind the counter took it out of the display case and in the process of checking it was unloaded, gave me two nice looks down the barrel as he held the weapon sideways to his body while removing the mag and working the slide. The second time I saw daylight through the open chamber.

I didn't say anything to him, but was going over things I could say, and how it would play out, if I did. I had never seen this guy behind the counter before, but through discussion on other topics, he was not new. 40+ years old, as are all the people who work there. All the men wear something on their hip while at work, mostly Glocks. One guy has a Beretta and one has an old-fashioned revolver of some sort, never seen it outside of the holster.

If I were to say something, how would I approach it? I like the "..didn't know they made 'em in .75!" or something like that. But it's a bit confrontational, depending on how it's said. I have a fairly pronounced northeast accent (especially when being sarcastic) and it might not go over so well with these southern boys.

SFSElite

At the tail end of the CPL training course I took the range instructors decided to allow the folks with left over ammo to "cut loose". One guy speaks up..."rapid fire OK?". They typically do not allow rapid fire at this range PERIOD, but the class had gone well and the RO must have been feeling generous so he allowed it.

Guy #1 loads a mag into his beretta (92fs i think) and unloads it quickly and accurately.

Guy #2 thinks he can do it better and loads an extended mag into his Glock 19 and proceedes to go to town as fast as he can pull the trigger. Problem was, he couldn't control the firearm and effectively shot every ceiling tile starting from right above the target sweeping all the way up to the firing line.

Needless to say a cease fire was called and rapid fire was discontinued. I was a few lanes down from the gentelmen and all I could see once he commenced firing was the dust particulates from the ceiling tiles being knocked loose.

No one was hurt thank goodness....unless you count pride!!!

TAHTP

This thread should be deleted

These are not mistakes. There is no such thing as a accidental discharge. These are acts of carelessness and negligent discharges.

I'm not saying it couldnt happen to me, and please not one take offense. But I would not be making these stories sound funny one bit.

If you were using these in a training situation or context, they would be worth while, but to tell stories about what could have been, is not a good idea.

If I were the moderator of this forum I would delete this thread.

I was teaching an acquaintance how to shoot.

First off, I ignored a LOT of very serious warning signs, primarily revolving around his attitude.

It finally came to a head when he put a round into the side of the shooting booth about 4 inches in front of my stomach.

End of lesson, and last time I ever taught anyone to shoot.

I've had numerous requests since then, and I always refer them to an NRA certified trainer.