Winchester Model 70 Jack O'Connor Tribute rifle....WOW!

hauled in my 11-48 collection today, got the agreed on trade price... now I only need to come up with about what a Ruger American in .270 costs, to pick up my J.OC Winny... may take a little while, the wallet has lots of strings attached before winter... but can't wait to get that one hanging on the wall in my gun room...

BTW... freed up a lot of space trading in all those shotguns for 1 rifle... :)

ripnbst

You should have taken the correct case so long as they weren't asking for the one that was wrong in return.

That way you have both and whichever is more valuable, you have it.

ColColt

jack was the man. I use to look forward back in the late 60's to receiving the next issue of Outdoor Life to read what he may have new in his column. He's the sole reason I had a custom .270 built by Hal Hartley of Lenoir, NC back then. It had a Douglas barrel, FN Supreme action and Timney trigger and Hal finished it in his famous curly maple he was so noted for with fine checkering and a touch of fleur de lis. That rifle would do sub MOA if you did your part and the .270 was a joy to reload for. That long neck meant no case reaming like the short neck 7mm Rem. Magnum. After a few firings with that caliber yo couldn't get a bullet back in the case unless you reamed the neck.

The Model 70 tribute is most fitting and kudos to Winchester for honoring such a fine shooter, writer and great man. I still have several of his books to include, "The Rifle Book", The Hunting Rifle" and "The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns" by Jack O'Conner"

ColColt

Mystro-It's been a while now. Let's see some more of those great groups.:) I can't help but wonder if one could make reloads that would be as good as those groups...absolutely superb. that Leopold really compliments that gorgeous rifle. I just recently bought a NIB safe queen Remington 700 BDL in .222 caliber or I'd be looking at the JOC Winchester myself...still may.

Bushmaster1313

This is the scope to go with the Jack O'Conner Tribute:

mountaineer_zps0169241b.jpg

The rings and mounts gotta go

UUUUGLEE:(:(:(

Take a look at Conetrol. Google their web site.

Projectionless rings.

Streamlined bases.

High polish blue.

Costs more, but on your JOC rifle, what's a couple hundred $, anyway?

In 1955, at the age of 14, I started reading Outdoor Life, and two competing mags (F&S, SA). and JOC was my favorite author.

I currently own 2 Win M70's, and a 7X57 of another make. Love 'em all!:);)

Seriously, look into Conetrol bases and rings.;)

289HiPo

Hornady ammo?

Hey Mystro! I just joined the firing line forum. I enjoyed your write up on the JOC model 70. Just bought one! Beautiful! I would like to know the Hornady item number on the ammo you are shooting the great groups with. The 130 grain. Also, I'm thinking about the same scope you have. The vx6. How do you like it? Thanks!

Mystro

Hornady 130 SST Superformance and standard velocity SST work great. Just about any Hornady interbond and interlock shoots good. Federal Fusion 130 also stacks bullets. All the ammo seems to shoot great so I didn't try much beyond the ones mentioned.

I shot a nice 8point with my bow this year and didnt need to take my JOC deer hunting. I took a field doe with my 223 simply because I didn't want to destroy any meat with the big 270. I did take my JOC rifle bear hunting. Ammo of choice for the thick underbrush of bear season was the Federal Fusion 130. The rifle carried beautifully and was very well balanced. I found the rifle to be light and nimble. The Leupold VX6 3x18 with firedot was a awesome piece of glass. I can't tell you how impressed I was with the VX6. The first day out, the weather turned very nasty with hard bands of sleeting rain. Here I am with my JOC rifle's first hunt and the weather was as bad as it could get on this $$$$ rifle.:D
No worries, I buy my guns to hunt and shoot with and the weather cant hurt it. The stocks shape was outstanding to hold and carry for hours. The shape fit my hands with and without gloves and felt custom perfect. The checkering was great in the wet weather and remained grippy. There is no way you could drop this rifle even holding it with one hand while climbing up steep rocks. Balance was perfect.

The VX6 cut through the sleet and I could see across the fields with amazing clarity. I am sold on the Firedot! A quick wipe down at the end of the night and the rig was good as new.
No bears this year.

The final evaluation:
You just don't know with a new rifle set up until you get it in the woods a few days and see how it carries, holds, and performs. You can set a rifle up and it can seem good at the range, but real world hunting in the woods and carrying a gun for hours over miles of mountainous terrain can expose issues you never thought of. I am convinced that my JOC rifle /optic set up is a damn near perfect hunting rig. I wasn't that worried it wouldn't be great, how could a JOC rifle not be a outstanding real world hunting rifle???:)
leupoldgunnet.jpg

Last edited:

Picher

Now that's a commemorative!!! I applaud you for actually using the rifle for what it was originally intended. Too many nice guns are "safe queens" for my liking. Still, I'd have a tough time taking such a nice rifle out in crappy weather.

A couple of years ago, I bought a very pretty stock for my Stainless Remington 700, and the first time I took it out, tripped on a root in the trail that was just under the 4" thick snow. I went down and the rifle went flying out of my hands forward. Fortunately, no damage was done, but since then, the old H.S. Precision stock is back on, at least for hunting season.

I agree with what Mystro said about today's bullets making the .270 Win even more deadly.

Pilot

Great report, and just a beautiful hunting rifle. Nice job. Jack O'Connor seemed like a classy guy. I have to read more of his stuff.

ColColt

Mystro-Unless I missed something have you tried reloads yet? One old standby that's worked for me and others has been 60 gr of H4831 with a 130 gr bullet. Gives great accuracy in most rifles I've read including my 1952 M70 with the Speer or Hornady 130 gr and no pressure signs.

Mystro

Thanks guys....I have not reloaded the 270 yet. I may not because several over the counter loads produce one hole groups.

Most of the Hornady and even the Federal Fusion are so accurate, I probably couldnt improve anything with reloads.

Range2net.jpg

Not bad for $18 a box!:D
Fusionnet.jpg

Last edited:

ColColt

Most of the Hornady and even the Federal Fusion are so accurate, I probably couldnt improve anything with reloads.

Look at the money you'd be saving, though. I've never found factory ammo to equal hand loads. Of course, I haven't bought factory rifle ammo in at least 25 years!:)

Picher

Some of the factory ammo is so good these days, it takes a bit of testing to find a handload that shoots as well or better.

I like a hefty dose of Reloder 22 for my 24" barreled, .270 Win. Pressures are lower than with most top loads using other powders, yet velocities are the highest I've found. Accuracy with Nosler 130 grain Ballistic Tips is excellent, though I've switched to Hornady GMX and though they also group better than 1 MOA, they're not quite as accurate as most good lead core bullets.