Winchester Model 70 Jack O'Connor Tribute rifle....WOW!

MattShlock

JOC also had a company -- sold brass cartridge bodies with steel screw on rims I know of because I sold straight body 270 and .30-06 versions I owned. Not really sure wh the point of 'em was, but, collectors wanted 'em so I sold them...

BIG fan of the Keith SWC bullet!

Mystro

Another range report.
Keeps putting them in there. Even a $20.00 box of Fusion ammo puts up some impressive groups.
I just purchased a new Leupold VX6 3x18 for my JOC rifle. I find the current Docter 3x9 acquitted but my 223 needs a better scope so it gave me the reason for some new killer glass for my JOC and put my Docter on my 223. Leupold's custom turret and 18 power ought to make 500 yard shots very interesting with this rifle.....:D

This group was done with my Docter 3x9. I struggle at 9x power at 300yards to get real precise.

Mystro

Why are the holes hexagonal?
I thought it was obvious,
I run and do a ninja triple twist back flip before pulling the tigger. It give the bullet a extra twist rate. :p

Last edited:

Mystro

I can kinda see that but you can see the powder or burn marks on the inside of the holes especially on the white center. ;) My LGS has put out these red targets in a tablet form. I have used them for 20 years. They have become my favorite targets for 100 yards, even 200 yards are not bad but at 300yards I struggle with my 9x power scope to shoot precisely. The big orange diamond targets pictured above are much easier to shoot at at longer ranges. I never shoot at 300 yards hunting. My longest rifle kill was at 275 yards on a black bear. Most of my rifle shots are well under 100 yards because the big deer I hunt are in 15 year old thick clear cuts

Last edited:

MattShlock

Am I THAT Old?

Mystro -- it's an old shooting joke. I can't believe I am explaining this. Back in the day...

We had had pencils and pens. Pencils were yellow painted hexagonal wood writing instruments with graphite centers you sharpend by hand -- they came with a red rubber "delete" device on the back to correct misteaks. Ubiquitous Bic ballpoint pens were clear hexagonal plastic too of course with a blue cap that, if you teethed on really hard and long, you could chew. Once you graduated to these you no longer made mistakes.

very nice shooting, & certainly wouldn't mind buying myself one of those rifles for Christmas... I have too many bolt rifles right now, but still have a hole on the wall for a .270, & I don't own a model 70...:eek:

Mystro

If your gonna get a 270, it doesn't get any finer than a Jack O'Connor. The reputation and history all wrapped up in one specific caliber is very rewarding. If you can find one, snag it, you will never loose any money on it.
Read a few of Jacks's books "The Hunting Rifle" is a great one and you will NEED to own a 270.:D. All kidding aside the books ballistics and the game that was killed with instant one shot kills are very educational, impressive, and this is with older bullet technology. Sorry for being a enabler......:D

Last edited:

Bushmaster1313

I made my own Jack O'Conner tribute rifle by putting together a 1958 .270 Model 70 FWT, a Leupold 4X Mountaineer and SK mounts and rings:

CIMG1485_zps0dc7bdad.jpg

17455d52-2ba4-42e3-85f6-beb6aee89812_zps98733fbc.jpg

Last edited:

Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster,....You knocked it out of the park. Even the 4x Leupold is correct.

Thanks
I sent a picture to the Jack O'Conner Foundation and they liked it.
I would like to get a picture of my .270 next to the original.
Since taking the photos the deck has been refinished:rolleyes:

Mystro

Obviously, I am a student of the Jack O'Connor philosophy and have read all his books. I highly recomend others to read at least one of JOC books. This guy was so far ahead of his time in the way he approached hunting and calibers.
"The Hunting Rifle" would be the book to read. Pick up a copy at Ebay or Amazon. This is the book that opened my eyes to the JOC philosophy. It should be required reading for all rifle hunters. Its a fun easy read and discusses all calibers and aspect of hunting with the rifle. For a book written 42 years ago, it is strangely in touch with everything that is going on today. As much as the shooting industry likes to say they are cutting edge, you will see nothing much has changed in 42 years. It will give you great petspective.

Last edited:

Mystro

Needed to upgrade the optics on my predator rifle so I moved my Docter scope to it and upgraded the JOC rifles optics..
The JOC rifle now wears Leupold's new top of the line VX6 series in 3x18 44mm with custom CDS and Firedot. Build quality and finish is top shelf all the way. Nothing plastic on the VX6, aluminum with rubber eyepiece. It certainly sets a new high end optic bar at Leupold being their halo scope. Clarity and eye relief is ridiculous. Field of view is wide and crisp from edge to edge on any power while retaining long eye relief. I chose the fine duplex Firedot. The illuminated Firedot is very clever. It is easily adjustable in brightness and doesn't create any residual reflection of light in the scope. The dot brightness can be dimmed to almost imperceptible low light use. It also has a motion sensor in it that turns off if the scope isnt moved for 5 minutes. It instantly comes back on with the slightest movement. You can even program the order the Firedot changes in brightness. Leupold will also make you a free CDS turret for the exact load and bullet you are using figuring many ballistic factors. They then custom laser engrave the turret for your scope. Turrets are easily interchangeable. It seems to be outstanding in about every thing you could ever want in a optic. My eyes give it a equal match with the Swarovski Z6 3x18 in optics but I preferred the Luepold's design and layout better. My gut thinks the Leupold will be a tougher scope. All things considered the Leupold VX6 sets a new high standard for Leupold optics, competing with and bettering scopes costing 2-3x in money.. IMO.

Last edited:
Well... I have the opportunity to buy one of these... I may just have to go out on a limb & get it...

my local dealer has one... not the top grade, but the 2nd level one... price is high, but he's willing to take multiple trades... I suggested a partial trade with my complete 11-48 collection, & he was open for that, & if I had anything else, he'd take that too, so I might be able to get the rifle down to a price I can afford...

I have a ton of 270 components, & traded off my old Herters rifle a while back, with the intention of buying another bolt action 270... I don't have a Winchester 70, so I'm pretty interested...

what are you guys seeing for prices on lower grade Tribute rifles ???

Mystro

The only difference is the recoil pad and Grade 4 verses Grade 3 French walnut. No one I have talked to can tell the wood apart other than to say they are the nicest they have ever seen. If you can find one locally, buy it. You won't be disappointed. Prices are all over starting at MSRP and seem be going up. Forget about a discount, it wont happen because there is only a small amount of these guns produced. Factor in Winchester and the JOC Center agreed this is the ONLY tribute gun to be ever produced by Winchester and was done especially for the aniversary of the Model 70 so ALOT of stars aligned to make this a very very special rifle.;)
A average feather weight M70 made in SC is extremely hard to get. Many have been looking on several forums. A JOC Custom Shop Feather Weight in 270 is as rare as it gets. It will only go up in value regardless how you look at it. So a gun you can actually hunt with that will appreciate is a no brainer. The demand will only increase over time. The only down fall is the initial cost $$$$ of admission.:D

Last edited:
This particular rifle has pretty plain wood ( compared to those pictured ) but I also intend to shoot it on nice days... I don't remember if the floor plate was engraved on this one or not... MRS. MAG was there with me, & I was trying not to look too interested, since she looked at the price tag & dropped her jaw...:eek:

Mystro

How can you not hunt with a Jack O'Connor gun.?? It was engraved if it was a tribute gun. It has a satin oil rubbed stock so you can easily bring out the grain more with a quick rub.

The engraving is incredibly detailed and you need a magnifying glass to see it all.

c83d94079b1d6a88e812e7a1a65843a5.jpg

as said... I had to feign lack of interest... it had the name on the trigger guard, so I'm sure it's one of the 2 levels of JOC guns... with the plainer wood, I assume it's the lower grade...

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Several posts have disappeared. Anyone posting in this thread needs to revisit the OP and stay on topic. Your personal dislike of Jack O'Connor is not the topic.