Will ammo prices EVER go down again??

Lashlarue

Just yesterday, I went by Walmart and the Winchester 40 pack, of 223 rem. 45 gr. had been reduced from $23.95 to $19.95, 55 gr. Remington in 20 packs was $8.47. Academy's prices had not changed $9.99 for Monarch brass cased 55 gr. and $5.99 for the Monarch steel cased 55 gr.Walmart still is in short supply in some calibers.but they did have 32 acp, 1st time I've seen it there, but no 380. Its been a year since I've seen any 380.

AJD21

I doubt it will ever go down in price to where it was.

In the last five years I can remember...

Fiocchi1000 rounds 45 ACP for $169.

S&B 1000 rounds .357 Magnum for $199.

Wolf 1000 rounds 7.62x39 for $69.

I got rid of my .44 Magnum handguns because I thought paying $16-$17 for 50 rounds of ammo was outrageous. Now that is below what .45 ACP sells at most places.

The only way to shoot any real amount of ammo and not break the bank is by getting .22 LR guns.

Skans

There's no shortage of metals. If this were the case you'd be paying $400 for car batteries. There's plenty of ammo manufacturers using aluminum and steel instead of brass. Even brass isn't expensive enough to justify the recent price hikes in ammo over the last 2 years. We've been involved in the same wars for many years now, and our military isn't using up all that much ammo.

No, there's about 50 million gun owners out there hoarding ammo. When their bellies are stuffed, they won't be buying any more for a long time....some might even barf a few ammo cans up.

Big Bill

I bought 9mm Blazer 115 gr FMJ today for $9.99 per a box of 50. And, the store had plenty to sell. I agree with Skans - ammo prices and availability are getting better. The gun store I do business with has all kinds at decent prices.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

I never said that was the main cause.. but to say that it hasnt contributed is a pretty ignorant claim.

Check my post again. "Not the MAIN REASON". as I said IMHO, the main reason is the panic caused by the fear of what Obama has planned for us.
Ignorant claim? Only in the mind of an Obama supporter!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I don't belong to the Republican Party, the Democrat Party, or the Libertarian Party. I belong to the TEA PARTY!!!!!:D

The Tourist

Skans said:
Yes, prices on ammo will come down. When distributors have warehouses full of ammo that isn't being purchased

Hey, I can finally show off my kallige edgumacation in business!

Prices are controlled by four basic influences. Supply. Demand. Setting a profit margin. Ease of obtaining resourses.

For example, diamonds would be virtually worthless if the entire amount being carefully released was simply dumped on the market creating a glut. Additionally, former Tonight Show host Johnny Carson made a joke about toilet paper and had housewives ripping apart grocery stores; there was no shortage, just their fear.

You buy ammo like any other commodity. If you need it, buy it. If you're a little stretched out don't delay your kids new shoes to acquire a stockpile. Or pick a new course, like reloading or archery.

Sometimes we go so crazy fearing Big Brother we strip shelves fearing a desolate Mad Max world. We create our own shortage.

There will always be wars and governments hogging resources to kill more people at a faster more efficient rate. It's easy to point at a GE mini-gun and blame it for all of our woes.

Chill. Firearms and ammunition have always been big bussiness, even in recessions. They'll make more.

Skans

Sometimes we go so crazy fearing Big Brother we strip shelves fearing a desolate Mad Max world. We create our own shortage....
Chill. Firearms and ammunition have always been big bussiness, even in recessions. They'll make more.

I couldn't have said it any better!

"If it has that much to do with it, why wasn't this shortage and high prices when the fighting was at it's peak?"

Because the military doens't keep 3 rounds in ready reserve and runs to the Wal Mart to replace them when a soldier shoots them.

The military keeps hundreds of millions, if not BILLIONS, of rounds of ammunition in reserve.

When military operations started, they started drawing down from that supply. Lake City, the military's main ammo plant, kicked up production to start replacing the draw down.

As fighting increased, Lake City's capacity was stripped. So the military started levying larger contracts with civilian producers. To meet those contracts, they started taking lines used for manufacturing commercial ammo off line.

That had a growing ripple effect on the supply of commercial ammo.

As the scope and length of military operations increased, more ammo was needed, and more civilian ammo lines were converted to military production.

These are processes that don't take days or weeks, but MONTHS to fully show up.

The military has started scaling back on its ammo purchases, and more lines are being converted back to civilian production, but it's not an overnight thing. It's going to take awhile.

Unfortunately, at the same time that was happening, Obama was elected president, and people were very afraid what he was going to do.

Put those two events together and you get the proverbial perfect storm.

Cheapshooter

Points well taken. My wording saying not the main reason was wrong. Better said, a major reason, but not the only reason. BTW, have all civilian companies been producing ammo for the military?

svaz

I already see ammo coming down and becoming more available - but only at the chain stores (WalMart, Big5, etc.). The LGS still seems to think it is 6 months ago.

I can't imagine ammo prices dropping to "the golden days" until the White House is "Red" again, or we get a Blue Dog Dem in there.

"BTW, have all civilian companies been producing ammo for the military?"

No, but it appears that both Winchester and Remington, our biggest manufacturers, both received substantial contracts and devoted substantial production capacity to those contracts.

Those two companies probably make 50% or more of all commercial ammunition sold in the United States.

Given the skyrocketing demand by consumers who were worried about Obama and the Democrats, is it any surprise that there were severe shortages?

Hell, even if there wasn't a war demanding ammunition, there would have been shortages based SOLELY on consumer purchasing demand was that high.

hagar

The only way it would go down again, is for people to say NO to high prices and stop buying it. At the moment there is too much fear and insecurity for that to happen.

"The only way it would go down again, is for people to say NO to high prices and stop buying it. At the moment there is too much fear and insecurity for that to happen."

That will happen.

More production will return to the civilian side, people will realize that 20K rounds of 9mm is enough, and ammo sales will tail off.

At that point, prices will start to fall.

There are those who say that "the new set point has been reached! We've proven we'll pay $XX for ammo! The price will never come down!"

The same thing was said during the primer shortage during the 1990s.

It took awhile, but the price came down...

A LOT.

7east

It has a lot to do with it.. As more troops are sent the requirements for more ammo goes up. Common sense should tell you that.. Granted this isnt all calibers out but I can sure as hell tell you that 5.56 ammo and 9mm is a hell of a lot harder to find since the war(s) started..

Look man, you're wrong. Go to this link (http://grantcunningham.com/blog_files/category-ammunition.html) and scroll down to 'supply chain 101'. This is why there is an ammo shortage and subsequent rise in prices. But common sense should have told you that...

i50sx

Don't know but I would venture the guess of yeah they will.....Who would have thought gas prices would go down after hitting their record high's..

foghorn leghorn

Well Kids, Don't bother going to Cabelas in Hoffman Estates IL looking for Winchester 7.62X51 NATO 147 gr. FMJ in the white box (sale Price 12.99/20).
I bought it all. I had a guy call me at 9AM this morning, and asked me if I still wanted some.
These buggers didn't even bring it in off the loading dock. This was an advertised sale starting on the 14th!! I asked him how much he had, he said two cases, I said SOLD! Still sealed in the cases. They do have the dry boxes on sale for 8.99, I bought one last week, so I bought two more today.

I have to get political now,
I hope you all realize how fortunate we are that Scott Brown won that election in Mass. That may be the spark to ignite the peaceful revolution we need to keep from going the other route.

romer12

ammo problem

why not consider re-loading. Many benefits. When re-loading you CANNOT smoke. Beats an anti-smoke arm patch. Save a fortune on cigaretts.......

Cannot drink. Need a clear head for re-loading. Look at the savings by being home instead of a bar. All your bar money toward re-loading supplies, and you won't have a hangover (from re-loading)...........

been re-loading over 40 years. Down to a beer (when not re-loading) once in a while, and also a cigar (when not re-loading) Saved a fortune.....

WHY NOT.......................????????????????