Wild Boar: Ground Work / Tracking, what's your chice for that job?

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Good and true info Swampghost. Most of the ones I've killed along the Savannah River Valley were feral, but down below Waynesboro GA I popped a flat tailed, very dark hog - lots of European blood in that one.

I have hunted pigs in Germany - stalking and drive hunts. They tend to be bigger, but the woods have less underbrush, so it's about an even swap. I think Para is in Austria, so his terrain may be different.

Pig kicking (finding them sleeping at noon and stalking them) is some of the best fun you can have. Buddy of mine used to use a .22-250 and snipe'em. He'd drive around till he found some, set up and use a dying rabbit call to get one to look at his direction, then shoot the curious one between the running lights.

thallub

I put on my chainsaw pants and go in after them with my .50 muzzleloader and my cap and ball revolver. Yeah, they charge sometimes but that is the thrill of hog hunting. Why? Because it is fun and it gets the heart pumping.

BTW: The hog in the photo will decidedly not go 330 pounds. Would be very surprised if it went over 175 pounds.

pilothunter

I agree with the size estimate given above. A 330 lb wild boar with Russian blood would be 16" or so from ear to end of snout, with a huge head and neck. My weapon of choice in close quarters would be a semi-auto rifle, I'd prefer a 750 carbine in .35 Whelen with 200, 225, or 250 gr bullets (TSX, NP, TBBC, GS) and that followed with an '06 with good 180s or 200s. A short semi-auto 12ga shooting Buckhammers, or similar would also be a great choice. I'd say a short barreled turkey or deer gun with sights would be great, actually. Of course a pump SG (or rifle) is just as good, I simply don't shoot pumps normally.

Last edited:

Jack O'Conner

I've never encountered a single animal that can stand up to a 180 grain bullet fired by my .308 Savage. That includes elk which often exceed 650 lbs.
Jack

Wild_boar_plus_Savage.jpg

pilothunter

Let me know the first time you shoot an elk with a 2-3" thick protective shield of cartilage covering their entire neck and shoulder area.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
boarsshield062.jpg

I took this pic tonight of a cross section of a boars shield. I put a .222 bullet in front, to compare the thickness of the shield.
I've often been asked about a boars defences, especially when choosing a suitable caliber for boars, and I thought this pic would show any new comers to the game, just what they are up against.
If you are wondering how hard the shield is...you could hammer a nail into a piece of wood with it.
This was posted on another hunting board by a new zealand buddy. Their hogs, in general, do not run near as large as ours and I have seen near double that thickness a couple times.
Brent

pilothunter

Very good picture! I was lucky enough to shoot a really large Boar, apparently with a lot of Russian blood, about a month ago and I must admit to being truly amazed as we skinned and caped it. The hide is tough and that protective shield of cartilage is unbelieveable. I doubt a grown man swinging a typical hammer could so much as put a dent in it. I was using a caliber that I felt totally up to the task, and was mistaken, I'll admit.

One bullet performed perfectly, mushrooming to nearly double size without coming apart, but was stopped, yes stopped, just under the shield and did not so much as draw blood. I know sows and smaller Boars would not present such a difficult situation, but knowing what's there now is truly enlightening.

Again, great picture and post!

thallub

IME: The shield is not all that of a big deal. My favorite muzzleloader hog load uses 110 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle. Have had no problems getting a 240 grain .430 XTP bullet into the vitals of a big boar. The 300 grain .430 XTP will often go through both shoulders of a 300+ pound boar.

thallub

Interesting. Have any idea of your velocity? I am suprised you see penetration like that.

Muzzle velocity is around 1,700 fps with the 240 grain XTP and about 1,650 fps with the 300 grain XTP.

pilothunter

I kinda figured that. I was shooting a Gold dot 270gr SP at around 1650-1700, close as I can figure (.44 mag) and it did not even penetrate the on shoulder of the boar I shot. The bullet performed well, simply no penetration. Didn't even draw blood from about 50yds.
Thanks for the info.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Lemme also point out something in the pic I posted. Notice the outer half inch of sheild... those black lines going inward from skin are the recent puncture wounds of boar fights. The tusk that did that tattoo will go to the hilt in a dog to thoroughly slice, dice, cut, gut and gore them. I stood with more respect for these warriors when I found a razor sharp (don't ask how I know :eek:) 2 inch 4 blade broad head 100% embedded in the sheild and no blood stain around the razor head...
Brent

thallub

placement

+1.
It is all about shot placement. I frequently hunt on a huge place where we are restricted to the use of shotguns with #2 or smaller shot or rimfire rifles in small game season. Have killed a lot of hogs there with a .22 magnum: No wounded hogs got away. Killed a good boar there with a Ruger 10/.22 and solid point bullets; distance was less than 10 yards. That boar weighed 302 pounds on the hoof.

pilothunter

I've only been hunting for 35 yrs or so, and always figured a shot directly to the shoulder, and another to neck 3" behind the ear should be lethal. Perhaps you've not seen or shot as big a hog as I'm talking here, but thanks for your excellent advice reference aiming properly. I shall definitely keep it in mind the next time I shoot.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Placement? Well if that ain't just a novel, keen idea!!!!
I may look into that...
I feel for the shoulder shot hog.... That is akin to shooting a squirrel in the azz with a straight pin. I see in various threads, the proper shot on a hog...
Armedtotheteeth is released as he seems to have the "15 COM" practice down pat...
If you are expecting only one shot (99% of us) aim for 3 inches above the belly, right behind shoulder after animal is a few degrees quarter away. Send the bullet in behind soulder with any exit being below opposite front ham... you may damage a pound or so of the ham but that is the most dead a pig can be short of a brainer... this is for a 90-150 class pig. For a hog over 150 aim a tad higher like 4-5 inches above belly.
Brent

pilothunter

Some very good advice again, Hogdogs! I actually chose to shoot the boar behind the ear first. But thanks again for all that advice!