Why you should not care about 9mm vs .40 vs .45 vs something else pistol caliber

cougar gt-e

So...whaddya like? 9mm 10mm .44 .45?

Just had to ask, sorry.

.40 s&w in 165gr or 155gr. Any of the name brands will perform. For some reason, I just like that better than the 180's.

Attached is a text file with the math done for 9mm, 10mm (brassfetcher), .40, .44 (brassfetcher) and .45acp. 9,.40 and .45 data from wiki.

It shows the calculated wound volume and the average (taking out the underperforming CorBon loads).

Interesting, but not intended to be earth shattering, just a different way to look at the same old data.

Attachments

• ballistics.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 23

B.N.Real

If you look at that ballistic chart,look carefully at the 165 grn 40 Smith rounds performance.

See how much darker the channel is then all the other rounds?

That's because the bullet blew a huge hole through the gelatin.

That darkness is gelatin that is not there.

The same thing in a human being would be huge trama hole with massive bleeding and hopefully alot of nerve damage to stop them immediately and keep them from shooting you and killing you.

steve54

The agency I work for has just transitioned from .45 to 9 mm
partly because of cost but also because some females cant handle the .45 (Sig 220) and we have seen improvement in range scores from females (and males) with the 9 mm especially marginal shooters.
People who shoot high 90's all the time don't have a problem with different guns but the 65/70 shooter does.
For me I love the .45 but a 9 mm to the chest and head is going to stop the problem

.357SIG

Bigger, heavier bullets will always have the advantage because like it or not, there's a VERY real chance that how that bullet reacts to bone will be a factor in its ability to incapacitate.

There's not a bone in the human body that will readily deflect a 9mm, but not a .45. To further make a point, I've seen a .45 ACP round that entered the shoulder from the top, avoiding contact with any bone, that stopped dead in its tracks when it contacted the spinal vertebrae. Didn't even crack it. Person was avg. build female. Total distance traveled = 5-6". I've seen deflected .45 ACP rounds in various parts of the body as well. On of the "Son of Sam's" victims was shot in the back of the head with a .44 SPL at contact distance and survived. Either way you look at it...again, it's just a nonsensical way of hanging onto the argument.

With that quote above, one could argue that a deflected bullet might actually be a help, rather than detriment. Who knows...it could deflect an otherwise poor shot into a vital organ. Deflection isn't always a bad thing.

A common issue with LE/Mil folks is that they make a conclusion based on 'this or that' they perceived or heard, but do not have the resources or information to answer the most important question in the argument...which is WHY. Just saying "I've been in the military" or some LE agency does not give one any credibility as knowledgeable in ballistics and mechanisms of injury for a gunshot wound, nor does being involved in any number of shootings, unless you are somehow privileged to information that tells you why the round worked as it did. Yes, you may have seen a poorly-placed 9mm round against a guy with a totally different mindset than the guy with the .45 ACP wound. "Similar shots" are not really similar shots; one inch of variance could be a "hit" or a "miss", and you would never know that unless you somehow got the full detailed report from the medical examiner or hospital. That's not something most LEOs can just walk-in and get. Even if you do get it, you will not have the details as to why the injury caused the death, only that it did. Answering "why?" is the only way one will be able to conclusively make a statement to caliber effectiveness with any true credibility. Furthermore, it would be just as easy to make the same argument for the .22 LR round over the .45 ACP by citing similar examples. I'm sure we could dig up cases to "prove" it.

People's physiologies differ so widely, that you could shoot any 2 people in exactly the same place, with exactly the same round from the same gun, and you will NOT see the same result twice. That's the problem when you try to turn observation into fact. Some people can break a femur and patella in half and walk on it, while another with a sprained knee will be laid up in bed for a week. People are VERY different.

Anyway, the point of all this blathering is that you can NOT make an argument with only half of the story, or half of the consideration of variables. Just seeing it is not enough.

No one in the world is able to tell you what WILL work, but many can debunk some old myths, and many can also tell you what will NOT occur from a gunshot wound. Most of the "old wives' tales" when it comes to ballistics don't hold up. It's much like the old days when the "gods" controlled everything, from the weather to the miracles...or even the days when the Earth was flat and we could fall off. Now, with modern advancements, even in the past 20 years, we all just know better.

Sarge, just know I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm merely speaking to the rest of the crowd, as I'm respecting your wishes and not trying to change your ideas. Thought I'd add that.

Last edited:

Oldjarhead

This is a never ending debate, and I don't think I will end it with my post, but I recently retired as and LEO. I was an MP in the military before that. Adds up to 33 years experience. I have read and seen first hand what bullets do in a gunfight. Various calibers. From .38, .357 mag, 9mm, and 45acp. Pistol rounds are not the best stoppers, but the most impressive one shot stop that I had first hand knowledge about occurred in my first Police Department in Waco, Texas in 1977. An officer shot an armed burglary suspect with his Smith and Wesson model 28 .357 magnum. The 125 grain hollowpoint bullet struck home, just one inch to the right of the suspect's left nipple. One shot. The suspect died right there.

ohcnap

I tell you what caliber is the best., the one that hits them 3 times as they go for their weapon and another 3 times before they point it at you,Tactics my friends ,tactics will make you or break you.Wars are won before firing the first shot.:D

cougar gt-e

People's physiologies differ so widely, that you could shoot any 2 people in exactly the same place, with exactly the same round from the same gun, and you will NOT see the same result twice. That's the problem when you try to turn observation into fact.

Plus getting actual experimental data will land you in jail!:eek:

Shooting the caliber and bullet weight that allows you to consistently hit the second shirt button from the top will stop the conflict every time.

tommyboy

tactics matter more then bullet selection,the important thing is to have a gun and know how to use it.with that said i am a .45 guy through and through;)

sigxder

As long as I've got a good reliable modern JHP anything from 9mm (a few .38 Special rounds included) on up I'm fine with. With good JHP's they all work about the same. Way to much emphasis on caliber. Being able to use your weapon (whatever it is) well is the most important thing. Pick a caliber/gun that works for you and practice. Lots!

Texcowboy

Quote:As long as I've got a good reliable modern JHP anything from 9mm (a few .38 Special rounds included) on up I'm fine with. With good JHP's they all work about the same. Way to much emphasis on caliber. Being able to use your weapon (whatever it is) well is the most important thing. Pick a caliber/gun that works for you and practice. Lots!

What he said !!!!!

hogwiley

I mostly agree with the original posters logic. Lots of rounds hitting the target is the best bet to incapacitate someone as far as handguns go. One slightly larger bullet wont do the trick if its not hitting them in the right spot, but at the same time precise shot placement is not gonna happen in a real gun fight, so best to just unload lots of (aimed) rounds to increase the odds of hitting them where it counts.

That being said I still feel more comfortable with a 40 than a 9 because of the possibility that you will only have time for ONE shot before the attacker is upon you or is shooting back, so why not maximize the damage in that first shot.

Also, whenever I look at a 9mm round versus a 40 I cant help but think the 40just looks like it would hurt a lot more. Im not big on the 45 because you increase the size of the gun too much and give up too much in capacity. Shot capacity can make a difference if the fight involves more than one attacker. a 15 round mag allows you to control a situation with multiple threats, whereas 6 or 7 when your facing say 3 or 4 people gets a little more dicey

10mm4ever

Well if you prefer big bullets AND capacity, checkout the FNP45! Having 16 rounds of 45acp settles the debate for me.:D