Why Would You Want a Colt?

Crow Hunter

I'm looking hard at the Colt 6920 as a next purchase. Maybe a basic BCM rifle for the same price.

Then I am looking hard at a LWRC M6 basic model for about $1400. Its biggest draw is the nitrated barrel rather than chrome lined and the treated BCG. Being one of the better piston systems is nice but not needed.

All the Colts I have picked up have been nice, but had chips in the anodizing on the receivers. The build felt solid.

If you are just going to get a basic rifle from BCM, I would go Colt instead. If you decide that you don't want it later, the Colt will be easier to sell than the BCM which is really not as well known by the non-congoscenti.

If you are wanting a more specialized setup that Colt doesn't offer, BCM is the way to go. (Mid length, SPR, DMR, long rails, Kino, etc)

LWRC makes some very nice guns, 2nd only to HK in the piston world from what I understand. They were doing a LWRC day at my local gun shop which is the largest LWRC dealer in the US (or was). They were running full auto guns. Ever so often they would dunk the front ends into a 5 gallon bucket of water to cool them off and steam/bubbles would come out of of the ejection port.:eek: They didn't bobble as far as I know. I was working a different part of the shoot.

Colts usually have chips in them because of the way they are assembled. They put the rifle together, then take it back apart and interchange the parts with another rifle and test fire it. It is part of the military requirements. They are handled much more than your average. There are pictures over on M4carbine.net that shows some of the assembly processes, it is pretty interesting.

If you are wanting really good "fit and finish" then Colt is NOT the way to go. All of mine have knicks/scratches in the finish and assembly lube left on the barrels under the handguards. But I didn't buy them for the way they look.:D

HKFan9

Like I said I do think Colt makes a great AR, but mine left a sour taste in my mouth.

I ran it wet I ran it dry, GI mags, Pmags, comericial ammo, mil spec ammo... I could just never get it to function 100%.

I checked the extractor, the o rings... I would get it not stripper the rounds sometime, double feeds, FTE.

I tried a different BCG in it, which no drastic changes.

Everyone can make a lemon... would I trust my life to Colt.. sure.

The point of my post is just because of what it says on the side of the receiver doesn't automatically make it a good or bad gun, only shooting it determines that.

My Stag eats anything I throw at it.. even old steel cased ammo and I've ran it bone dry.

My BCM's are top notch IMHO and one of the best deals out there I think.

I just ordered two more uppers for them for a personal build and a build I am helping a friend with.

marine6680

I would probably never sell, and if I did, it would be to someone I know.

I prefer the basic guns over the fancy added feature versions... simply because I never hang a lot of stuff on mine. Basic irons and maybe a red dot. Free float handguards and rails everywhere, just not my thing. Never liked the way the rails felt in hand, and the covers don't help much.

My fiance wants a .308 AR... I love that she wants one... hate the price of ammo. She wants a DMR setup, may see about doing similar in 5.56...

I agree, smith and wesson makes a better valued ar15 for the money. The s&w ar15s are generally more accurate than colts from my experience. Also colt only requires a 5 MOA 10 shot group. You pay extra for the pony...

LWRC makes some very nice guns, 2nd only to HK in the piston world from what I understand.

HK guns are way overpriced. 3500 for a piston ar is ridiculous. In my opinion POF and Barrett have the best piston systems on the market. LWRC is third, and hk is last on the list.

h4xd15

I have a Colt 6940, a Knights Armament SR15E3 and a LWRC M6A2 6.8... I love my Colt. It's not really in the same league as my other AR's but for the money I think it's a bargain. I have seen some other suggestions in this thread for guns that are under the $1k price tag and for the money I think the Colt wins hands down. M6A2 is my hunter, the SR15E3 is my range gun and the Colt would be my go to for anything else that comes up... personal defense, wife comes along to shoot, daughter wants a day at the range, plinking... the Colt fits the bill perfect. If you have your eye on it grab it. There's something about it that drew you to it in the first place and I have no concerns about the quality.

Crow Hunter

In my opinion POF and Barrett have the best piston systems on the market. LWRC is third, and hk is last on the list.

You know this based on your own personal experience?

Use in high volume classes or combat yourself or at least read AARs detailing other's experience?

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107613

This is the opinion of a well known SME.

I have also read lots of good comments on LF.net on both the LWRC and the HK and I have personal experience shooting both at my local gun shop (class III dealer samples)

I have never read anything about POF in high volume shooting classes other than a couple of anecdotes about failures.

I know some guys who have Barrett's that seem to work well, but there aren't that many of them out there.

Only the HK has any combat to it's name, (Norwegian Army in Afghanistan and USSOCOM) although the LWRC has seen some use overseas with DEA from what I have gathered.

Why do you think they are the "best"?

FrosSsT

The TV analogy isn't really accurate.

If you were to spend $1000 on an LG, than on a Sony, than on a Samsung and move down the line you would be hard pressed to tell the difference if there was any because they are all built to the same specs (1080p - 120hz - 3ms refresh - etc). I'm not talking about a $2000 vs $600 difference - I am talking about dollar for dollar. The analogy is accurate.

You seem to fit perfectly in another phrase I repeat often. The person will usually tell you to get or stick up for whatever THEY own. So tell us - what brand do you own again?

BarryLee

Hey all just a little update.

As I mentioned in Post 9 I found a place about an hour away that supposedly had some Colts in stock, so I took the drive. Man did they have Colts in stock. They had several on display and according to them “plenty” in the back. The guy told me they almost always have some in stock, but do occasionally run out of specific models.

I settled on a 6920 MAGPUL version. I am sure one of the other brands would have worked just as well for my needs, but this is what I really wanted and it I was still within my budget.

Last edited:

2damnold4this

Hey all just a little update.

As I mentioned in Post 9 I found a place about an hour away that supposedly had some Colts in stock, so I took the drive. Man did they have Colts in stock. They had several on display and according to them “plenty” in the back. The guy told me they almost always have some in stock, but do occasionally run out of specific models.

I settled on a 6920 MAGPUL version.

Congrats on your purchase. I just noticed this thread and saw you are in the Atlanta area. I was going to suggest Clyde Armory which is in the Athens-Bogart area. They have a large selection and aren't pushy.

BarryLee

Congrats on your purchase. I just noticed this thread and saw you are in the Atlanta area. I was going to suggest Clyde Armory which is in the Athens-Bogart area. They have a large selection and aren't pushy.

Ok, are you psychic or something? :D

That is indeed where I purchased my rifle and you are correct they seem to run a very nice operation. I have made purchases from them in the past and probably should have just started out there. I was just trying to avoid the drive although it really wasn’t too bad.

Crow Hunter

If you were to spend $1000 on an LG, than on a Sony, than on a Samsung and move down the line you would be hard pressed to tell the difference if there was any because they are all built to the same specs (1080p - 120hz - 3ms refresh - etc). I'm not talking about a $2000 vs $600 difference - I am talking about dollar for dollar. The analogy is accurate.

You seem to fit perfectly in another phrase I repeat often. The person will usually tell you to get or stick up for whatever THEY own. So tell us - what brand do you own again?

No it isn't accurate.

If you buy a Colt (1080p-120 hz -3ms) and compare it to a DPMS (1080i-60 hz-3ms) there IS a difference.

Would you buy a TV that was 780p when you could get an identical TV in 1080p that was withing $100 of the 780p TV? I wouldn't. 1/2 to 2/3 of the price, I would think about it depending on what I was going to do with it. That is the same thing with rifles.

If DPMS, Bushamster, Blackthorne, Hesse all used the same parts tested to the same specifications as Colt (like BCM or DD or Noveske) then you are absolutely right. They will be impossible to tell apart.

But the some companies DON'T use the same parts and the ones they do use DON'T have the same performance.

There is no way that anyone in their right mind would say that an extruded cut thread 6065 aluminum receiver extension is just as strong and durable as a forged 7075 aluminum rolled thread receiver extension under the same identical loads and that is just one of many lower cost parts that make the difference between some brands and others.

If that isn't something someone feels important, they don't have to buy a Colt (or BCM/DD) but it isn't the same and if a Colt is running $1097 and the Bushamster is $979, they aren't getting the best value for their money.

And yes I own Colts.

But I have owned more Bushamsters than I have Colts and I also advise people to go with BCM or Daniel Defense, especially if they want extras because it will cost more down the road to add them to a Colt.

I have actually advised a couple of friends to go with Bushamsters because they were getting them for $700 and they weren't going to be using them for "duty".

Go on Lightfighter.net and M4carbine.net and read some AARs and see what people use and what doesn't work. Read the opinions of the guys who teach high volume shooting classes and see what brands that they specifically tell people NOT TO BRING so they don't become "That Guy" and hold up the rest of the class because their rifles go down hard.

I am not just "sticking up for what I own." I CHANGED what I owned for a reason.

Quentin2

Excellent points as usual, Crow Hunter. I think the analogy of 720p vs. 1080p and various levels of the AR was especially good.

Some people never get it that a purchase decision is theirs, they can take good advice or they can deviate (hopefully because they have good reasons). As far as ARs, especially for serious use, let's pray enough homework was done in advance.

ben_raines

Colt AR

All 7 yrs i was active duty and 5 yrs reserve, I carried a Colt M16A1. NEVER had a malf or misfire because I took care of my issue, When I got out and finally had enough scratch put back to buy an AR, I went Colt, HB, Match, 1/9, 20"barrel, A2 version. Went that route since I knew the platform forward and backward in the light, dark and rain.

IMHO not a dang thing wrong with Colt platforms as long as you know how to maintain them correctly ( like ANY weapon). My civi version has never jammed, malfed or misfired, no matter what I feed her, be it Federal, Winchester, Remington, Tul, or wolf, bear and any of the other commie stuff.

Everytime I carry it to a gun show, I get many offers to buy it on the spot, no test firing, nothing, just offers. When I say it isnt for sale, they seem surprised and ask why I brought it in if I wasnt going to sell it. I simply tell them if my wife can go to Dillards or some other expensive womens store to accessorize, I can come to the Gun Show and do the same thing.

If you want a Colt, buy a Colt. If a dealer tries to talk you out of it, hes probably not getting much profit out of it like he would a dpms or such. Nothing wrong with those 'others', but Colt is Colt and everyone else tries to keep up.

ben raines