Why is the LCP still retailing over MSRP?

Tuzo

Paid $275 out the door for my new LCP at a local gunshow. This was 1-year ago with 3 LCP's available from this one dealer. Another 4 were available from two dealers at $325 and $350. My cost was a bit less than Academy Sports at $279 + tax if and when they had LCPs in stock.

Had to return the LCP to Ruger according to recall but that was a painless two week process. The gun is easy to carry and fun, but not too much fun, to shoot. Experimented with shooting 95 grain bullets at the 100 yd range and, predictably, the rounds fell short at about 80 yards but did impact the berm on ricochet. I concluded that the .380 round is very accurate at hitting very large backstops at 100 yards.

CortJestir

$275.00 @ Cabela's two weeks ago. It was recalled from the store stock and upon return to store was priced as used.

WOW...wonder if this is store policy or an oversight on the folks in the buying department. If it is policy, that's probably one of the few instances I've seen big chain store policy work for the consumer. Hehehehe. :D

Good find and congrats.

a7mmnut

It's STILL Not The Worst..........

..Remember the li'l ol' NAA Guardian that took two years to get all the jamming bugs out? :confused: Find one right now on a shop table, and it will run you a REALLY stiff $400-450. It's total hilarity, and foolishly so.:mad: -7-

Stevie-Ray

A friend of mine tells me he just got an LCP.

He paid 400 bucks for it.:eek:

Sorry, I'd like to have one but I'm NEVER paying that for it.;)

2cooltoolz

I recently paid $349 New at Academy in Houston, with the cute little plastic case and two mags. The thing is, I had already decided I didn't want one, but it was there and I was there.....

Mr.XD9mm

Awesome Pistol

Got mine from Gander Mtn shortly after Christmas for $347. It came with an extra magazine with the finger grip extension, but was mine that Ruger had already fixed the recall on. You can tell the recalled one because the barrel is not blued and is still stainless. Plus if you look down where the hammer draws back there is a little diamond stamp on the bottom of the little track.
Have shot around 300rds and no problems what so ever, awesome little pistol when I dont feel like putting on my AirMarshall holster and carrying my 4" XD 9mm.

Or if you make a quick run for breakfast just slide in your front pocket and run out the door.

overkill556x45

I've seen them here in IA for $400 pretty regularly--if you can find them. A guy in my NG unit paid nearly $600 for one with Crimson Trace grips. I found that a bit excessive. Then again, I just paid nearly $450 for a S&W 442 :eek:

OcelotZ3

One thing I heard at a gun show a few weeks ago from a vendor (where I bought my LCP for $329) was that Ruger had a requirement of at least some gun stores that in order to get 3 LCPs, they also had to order a number of other Ruger weapons at the same time (mini-14, SR9, 10/22, etc.). So they were kind of using them as a way to force them to buy other items at the same time. I don't know if it's true, but that could limit some vendors if it is.

BoneDigger

Mine

Mine was $319 plus tax. Not a great price, but better than Academy ($350).

Is Ruger asking more than MSRP from dealers, or are the dealers marking them up? In other words, who is doing the marking up, dealers or Ruger?

Todd

PeterGunn

..Remember the li'l ol' NAA Guardian that took two years to get all the jamming bugs out? Find one right now on a shop table, and it will run you a REALLY stiff $400-450. It's total hilarity, and foolishly so. -7-

Remember the Seecamp?!?!?!

NWCP

Because folks haven't figured out it's basically a gussied up KelTec P3AT? Personally I wouldn't pay what they're asking for it. JMHO :rolleyes:

PakWaan

In a way it's a good thing. Not the price, but the fact that they are getting snapped up. It means that more people who may have not been packing in the past have decided it might not be a bad idea now that they have found something pocketable. Yes, the Kel-tec came first, but they never did the huge advertising blitz that Ruger has done, so the word has gotten out to people who weren't necessarily "gun people".

tirod

Because folks haven't figured out it's basically a gussied up KelTec P3AT?

Whether we like it or not, that's very true. The market is buying looks, and putting money on it.

Frankly, I believe it's grown to the point of being a fad - most buyers don't want a functional P3AT, they want to nice looking and hard to find LCP that makes them look cool.

And I get to say I paid $265 w/tax, and got it 6 months ago. :D

Stevie-Ray

My local good guy dealer got six of 'em in last week, all priced at $278.
Now THAT I would probably pay. It's just not that important to me.
When they start showing up here for the KT prices, I'm sure I'll bite.

Rich Miranda

In my opinion, if you find one, and the price isn't too crazy, buy the damn thing. Over the life of the gun, an extra $20 doesn't really come out to that big of a deal.

+1

I'd go so far as to say that even a 20% difference is worthwhile. As for shopping around, I hate that. I do my internet research, and I might drop by my two favorite gun shops. I find the lowest price from the vendor I prefer (which is not always the cheapest) and just buy it.

(Physically) shopping around costs money too. Unless I was going to save some crazy amount of money, I try to skip it.