Why have more manufacturers not released a Sig P365 style pistol?

zincwarrior

My post is in regards to guns like the P365. It is not a double or single stack, it is a "staggered column" magazine... I guess a stack and a half if you will.

And to my knowledge SIG and Springfield Armory are the only manufacturers offering an example of that at this time.

The advantage is greater capacity at a similar size to a single stack 9mm gun that would typically hold 6 or 7 rounds.
1/5 inch difference between it and an M&Pc which has the same dimensions but two extra rounds and a lower bore axis.

Its fine. Its a pistol, but I can find multiple pistols with more capacity with the same dimensions.

Dave T

Maybe because not everyone in the world wants another small, hard to control with adult hands, 9mm.

Just sayin',
Dave

MTT TL

1/5 inch difference between it and an M&Pc which has the same dimensions but two extra rounds and a lower bore axis.

Its fine. Its a pistol, but I can find multiple pistols with more capacity with the same dimensions.
Not only that but the M&Pc takes standard M&P magazines so a reload can jump you straight up to 17 rounds. I find the M&Pc (original) superior to the 365 in most ways.

The 365 is a good gun though.

Armybrat

I’d like to see what Kahr can come up with, since they pioneered the very slim & compact striker fired 9mm carry pistols in the 1990s, IIRC.

youngridge

I have a 43 and a 365, 4 extra rounds in the standard mag vs the 43 and in a smaller package was appealing, with factory night sights.

I like them both but prefer the 365 over the 43 now.

LGS said when they came out with the 365 with the MS that they flew off the shelves faster than when the pistol was first introduced. They tapped into a market that will unfortunately probably only grow with states that make capacity and manual safety laws.

Edit to add: I expect more than one company to introduce new staggered stack pistols this winter, from Christmas to shot show. Competition is good and it drives ingenuity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

They are coming.

Every manufacturer has a "pocket" 9mm with the only exception being HK? Most geared those up in the last 5 years.

But another way, besides price, you're giving up a lot to buy a Shield today when the Sig P365 holds more, is smaller, better sights, better trigger AND better resale.

I bet used single stack small 9mm are a buyers market since the P365...but why buy?

MTT TL

But another way, besides price, you're giving up a lot to buy a Shield today when the Sig P365 holds more, is smaller, better sights, better trigger AND better resale.

You can buy a Shield these days for under $200. A Sig will run you almost double. Smaller isn't always "better" either.

Better sights and trigger are a real thing but how much does that really matter at 0-21'? The ranges these guns are designed to be used at. The Shield is so popular because it is "good enough" and very affordable. Not because it is the very best.

JDBerg

I’ve had my Walther PPS-M2 for 3-1/2 yrs. now and I have a few thousand rounds through it. With the 8 round accessory mags, I think it’s very comparable to the Sig P365, which is a really good gun.

Lohman446

The same can be said about a good number of Lincolns over Fords. They still sell a lot more Fords and said Fords serve a good number of their driver's just fine.

USNRet93

I have a 43 and a 365, 4 extra rounds in the standard mag vs the 43 and in a smaller package was appealing, with factory night sights.

I like them both but prefer the 365 over the 43 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think a better comparison is the Sig 365 and Glock 26..IMHO, of course.

I prefer it to my G43..I like the width of the G26..very similar to my G17.

AgedWarrior

You can buy a Shield these days for under $200. A Sig will run you almost double. Smaller isn't always "better" either.

Better sights and trigger are a real thing but how much does that really matter at 0-21'? The ranges these guns are designed to be used at. The Shield is so popular because it is "good enough" and very affordable. Not because it is the very best.
Lots of folks, and most folks I know, are not satisfied with “good enough” for their personal protection.

wild cat mccane

Meh.

I won't be buying any small single stacks now. Speculating, it's going to be the worst time.

Inventories of Shields, PPS, etc are high.

New double stack wonders will start coming out...

TunnelRat

Lots of folks, and most folks I know, are not satisfied with “good enough” for their personal protection.
Just because something is "good enough" doesn't mean it is lacking. Besides the added capacity I don't find one notably superior, and that's from owning both.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HistoryJunky

Maybe I'm alone here but I find the concept of a 10+1 9mm pistol that is similar in size to a 6+1 single stack to be very appealing. A lot of people, myself included are not big fans of the feel of the double stack subcompacts out there.

And they are not as concealable as a gun like the 365.

IMO if you can have Gun X and Gun Y, Gun Y is lighter than Gun X, has the same capacity, and is still reasonably shootable, why wouldnt you want Gun Y?

TunnelRat

Maybe I'm alone here but I find the concept of a 10+1 9mm pistol that is similar in size to a 6+1 single stack to be very appealing. A lot of people, myself included are not big fans of the feel of the double stack subcompacts out there.

IMO if you can have Gun X and Gun Y, Gun Y is lighter than Gun X, has the same capacity, and is still reasonably shootable, why wouldnt you want Gun Y?
If it's so appealing why haven't you even shot one yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

zincwarrior

Because I can get Gun Z which has more capacity, accepts full size mags, and is only one fifth of an inch wider.

TruthTellers

They are coming.

Every manufacturer has a "pocket" 9mm with the only exception being HK? Most geared those up in the last 5 years.

I bet used single stack small 9mm are a buyers market since the P365...but why buy?
Single stacks are generally smaller with the Ruger being the slimmest 9mm I know of at .9 inches width. Not only that, but there are extended mag options to up the capacity to 9 rounds for the Ruger and ETS makes 9 and 12 round mags for the Glock 43 and Mossberg.

Price is the biggest factor tho. Single stack 9's are roughly $300 or less, the Ruger is $200. When the economy is struggling and people are struggling to pay the necessities, telling them that self defense requires spending $500 on a 365 or a Glock 43x isn't going to fly when the only benefit is 3 more rounds.

That said, I can see the appeal of these 1.5x stack pistols in mag capacity ban states in the Northeast and California.

wild cat mccane

Slimmest and smallest 9mm is the DB9. It's also garbage. Owned 5 of them.
:)
With the exception of the PF-9 copy LC9, the P365 is smaller than most single stack 9mms.

My P365 is the exact same size as a CM9.

USNRet93

IMO if you can have Gun X and Gun Y, Gun Y is lighter than Gun X, has the same capacity, and is still reasonably shootable, why wouldn't you want Gun Y?
HistoryJunky is offline Report Post
Cuz after shooting it, didn't like the way gun Y felt in my hand...so, after shooting gun X, bought and carry that one..:)