why do 1911s call to me?

WC145

Note to those who fear reprisals over $1300 guns: get her into an expensive hobby of her own. My lady spends more on warmblood horses than I do on guns. Neither of us complain.

A steady supply of goodies from Coach and Dooney & Bourke keep my wife from fretting over what I'm getting for myself.;)

IMightBeWrong

In my experience, the 1911 design is one of the best ever. Nothing beats it. Parallels it, sure, but nothing beats it in my opinion.

CarNPlaneNut

I have a TRP and find myself desiring a Kobra Carry, a Wilson CQB, a Kimbor Raptor Pro II, and a SA Ultra. They are like the sirens of the gun world!

Jason

csmsss

There is no pistol on earth that fits my hand as perfectly and packs a wallop like John Browning's masterpiece. I don't really care for any of the other service pistols, be they Glock, Sig, whatever. I am a 1911 guy and will always be a 1911 guy.

gwnorth

While I own a couple of double stack 9mm pistols, my hands are small enough that I just really don't have a great passion for any of the more modern, double stack pistols. A 1911 fits my hand very well, however - it's a proven design that works well, .45acp is a great calibre, IMO, and 7 or 8 rounds is sufficient as far as I'm concerned (given most of my other hand guns are revolvers anyway). I also like a hand gun with some serious weight, and have not taken to any of the light weight pistols I've tried or owned.

:) Even my "little" .380 is an all stainless frame and slide P232 (~24oz).

My next 1911 will be an series 70 colt gov't - not a reproduction, I'm holding out for a good specimen of the real deal (just missed out on a mint condition one last spring).

1911s_3.png

doc540

felt intuitive when I shot my first one a couple of years ago

This is my 7th one, and I look forward to shooting it as much as I look forward to driving my car:
DSCN2719-1.jpg

FoxtrotRomeo

And doc540, That is a damn fine looking pistol. Out of all the Colt 1911s I've seen posted on this site or anywhere I've ever seen a colt ever, I like yours the best. Beautiful two tone pistol there.

4runnerman

Tear apart faster??? HUH?? I can break my 1911 down in about 25 seconds.
That is pretty fast in my book. Actually i should timemyself once and see,but i bet it cant be much more than 25 seconds,if even that.The 1911 is the true blue of guns,time tested and just a all around fun gun to shoot. Not to easy to conceal,but can't have it all

AK103K

In 25 seconds, I can have any of my Glocks and SIG's torn down and reassemled, loaded and shooting. :D

I always found the 1911's (GM's and Commanders) pretty easy to conceal. They really are not a "big" pistol.

FoxtrotRomeo

Not to easy to conceal,but can't have it all

I don't know man, My XD prints more than my Kimber 1911 does. Maybe it's something about me but that's what I've noticed. The only thing I've seen that I know would print less would be something like a PF-9 (which I want).

My Taurus PT-1911 does print about the same because of the Hogue grip but in fairness when I'm totally done with it, The grip will be off when I carry it to reduce printing. I'm hoping to get some polymer grips and I have some in mind that I want for it.

roman3

Are there to many makers of 1911's? Can the market sustain the amount of makers and remain profitable? Do 1911 guys buy large amounts?

Why does it call to you and say not others, the same reason what you drive, what music you listen to and what you eat calls to you and not others. You like it thus you want it. Nothing wrong with that!

zombieslayer

In a hundred years, they've stayed very popular. I don't see that changing. I have a 21year old nephew and he just put his first 1911 on layaway. I'm sure it won't be his last. People like it because it works.

doc540

"And doc540, That is a damn fine looking pistol. Out of all the Colt 1911s I've seen posted on this site or anywhere I've ever seen a colt ever, I like yours the best. Beautiful two tone pistol there."

Why, thank you.

It took me a while to figure out where I wanted to go and how to get there.

Started here:
DSCN0781-1.jpg

went through grips and sights
DSCN0959-1.jpg

DSCN1168-1-1.jpg

DSCN0116-1-1.jpg

DSCN2677-1.jpg

currently those fat, wraparounds seem to fit my long, boney fingers just fine, and can see the Dawson FO's better than anything I've tried
DSCN2719-1.jpg

FoxtrotRomeo

currently those fat, wraparounds seem to fit my long, boney fingers just fine, and can see the Dawson FO's better than anything I've tried

Oh yeah they're great grips. They're the first grips I actually liked from a practical standpoint. For me if I were assembling a "Tactical" pistol around the perimeters of being a LEO or military personnel where dumb people could tell I'm allowed to carry a pistol I would be more comfortable with carrying 1911 with a hogue grip. But as the world is today, I have to think more about concealment.

But yeah it's just beautiful and I love that you took an old colt and revived it. That adds a bit more of a something-something to it.

doc540

Best thing? It shoots better'n it looks!:D

Well, that and the fact that I've put less into it than just about all the ready-made custom 1911's out there...and enjoyed the journey.

AustinTX

so can any of you guys help me figure out why I would drop $1300 on a new 1911 when I could have gotten 2 plastic fantastics for that? the only thing I can think of is some kind of disease.

Makes perfect sense to me. Glocks are terrific guns that, to me, have no soul whatsoever. Buying them for anything other than purely utilitarian purposes is a wasted opportunity to buy an interesting gun, as far as I'm concerned.

That's just my opinion, of course. It doesn't have to be anyone else's.