why do 1911s call to me?

bigghoss

Anyone else ever ask this? I'm also a glock guy and if we're honest for a second a glock(or whatever other combat tupperwear floats your boat) just makes more sense. it's less expensive, holds more rounds, disassembly is easier, replacement parts are drop-in, and there's no manual safety. simple point and click interface. sure you could get a wide body 1911 and bring the capacity up to 14 but that's a big piece of metal to wrap your mitts around and it'll still cost more.

so can any of you guys help me figure out why I would drop $1300 on a new 1911 when I could have gotten 2 plastic fantastics for that? the only thing I can think of is some kind of disease.

BTW here's some pics of my new springfield armory operator since anyone who talks about a new gun and doesn't post pics should be drawn a quartered:D
150563_10150092293585219_673145218_7740784_3162261_n.jpg

76041_10150092293640219_673145218_7740785_7306029_n.jpg

bigghoss

I may have taste but but saying I have class is hitting below the belt sir. and class and taste are generally accompanied by discernment, an attribute I do not posses when it comes to firearms. check the signature.

not sure why I didn't think of it before but this will probably get pretty heated...

well I started the thread so I guess I'm IBTL:rolleyes:

BILLDAVE

Class,taste, and the best handgun ever made. The rest are just copies!
BILLDAVE

Attachments

• Family 098.jpg
    Family 098.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Family 133.jpg
    Family 133.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 85

FoxtrotRomeo

lol

Got some great non-diplomatic answers here. lol

I'm just gonna say it's because there is NOTHING else like a 1911. There just isn't.

Drop in is great it has it's pluses but when you have something that is put together and inspected by hand it adds a little something extra to it. It's like "Someone took their time with this, someone put great care and thought into fitting and shaping each critical part. Someone wanted this done right and done well."

It's all part of what once made America great and could help make it great again. But it starts with all of us right down to the janitor sweeping the floors.

That's all part of it among various things. Does it always work out that way? No not really but for the most part, yes it does.

bigghoss

Let us hope they never find the cure

amen, however a $1300 gun would be grounds for divorce in most households. I'm single so I figured I could get away with being fiscally irresponsible.

it's funny because I have a colt 1991a1 I was planning on selling to get something like this. now I'm not so sure, or if it does go I might get an SA loaded or TRP. cuz a 1911 without a rail is better for CC...somehow. I had the 1911 bug before but I think bringing this one home may have made it 10x worse.

FoxtrotRomeo

I'm single so I figured I could get away with being fiscally irresponsible.

So am I. My demented mom (seriously she has dementia) in an argument gets mad and accuses me of being excessive about firearms but then again in my own defense she's an excessively judgmental Jesus freak who makes everything a Bible issue and pretty much can't think clearly, gets distracted easily, has an unreliable memory and a perfectionist streak as well as a temper.

I love Jesus as much as the next christian but she's going too far and being hypocritical.

I told one guy "I'd better buy all this crap before I get married and have to hear the wife. I got enough now that there WILL be a prenup involved or no dice." lol

I might get an SA loaded or TRP. cuz a 1911 without a rail is better for CC...somehow.

It's easier to find holsters for ones without the rail. Can't wait to get up enough cash for a TRP and a TLE. :)

AK103K

Over the years, somewhere around 35-40 of them called to me, now I only have three, Colt Commanders all of them.

Well, thats not entirely right, I do have a mid 80's (back when they still made them to spec and they worked like Colts) Springfield GM here too, but it goes back to my kid now that I replaced the extractor that broke. Bought that one new, back when Springfield was still selling them as a baggie full of parts you had to put together for $250.

The love affair will probably go on, until you start encountering guns that dont work and/or require constant fiddling, and then you'll soon get tired of them. I never had any issues with the Colts, although they did really start to annoy me with the plastic parts and all. Still, the newer ones always worked out of the box, the older ones, well, some fiddling is a given with some ammo, but what you get makes up for it. You can have everything else. :)

These days, a butt ugly, but totally reliable Glock 17 has taken its place, replacing the SIG's that initially took their place for a number of years. Tried this once before, but this time its settled in. Its nice to get a gun that works 100% right out of the box, with night sights and cheap mags that work, and doesnt rust. Who could ask for more?

If youre going to show them, show the ones that lived a hard daily life with you, its the only fair tribute. :)

ry%3D400

thump_rrr

I have a friend who researched which pistol he should buy and detrmined by whatever method that it should be a Sig P226 because nothing is easier to field strip, has a decocker, etc.

I bought a Springer stainless loaded a few weeks ago and after shooting it he figured out what a 1911 is all about.
There is no other pistol that I have tried which has the trigger feel of a 1911.

FoxtrotRomeo

If you have shot a good 1911, you don't need an answer.

Ain't that the truth. It's a question you don't have to ask.

My instructor for my CCW class when I took it ask if anybody in the class liked 1911. I did the "oh oh oh oh" laugh and said "I love. I love 1911s." :)

DBLAction454

Can't explain your obsession. Just bought a $1400 Springfield TRP myself...

I mean the design has been around for 100 years....its gotta be doing something right :D

Amin Parker

You just have one weakness. Lol

I cant leave a nice 1911, a Browning High Power and a CZ 75 alone.

Something about a 1911. You either understand why we love them or you will eventually

zombieslayer

AminParker just said it all.
I have shot quite a few 1911's over the years, but never owned one. Then one day I bought two, became obsessed, and now have a Dan Wesson on layaway. Funny thing is, the little lady is actually to blame. A salesman let her handle the DW and dry-fire it. She turned to me and said "you should sell a few guns and get one of these!". I don't sell guns too often, so layaway was my only hope!!!
I think the love of 1911's is due to living in a modern, plastic world. Things made with old-world craftsmanship and steel are phased out for modular designs and plastic componentry. People still apreciate things like good machining, and hand fitting of parts.

Amin Parker

Zombieslayer i hear you.

I currently have 4 1911 pistols.

A 1911 is something sublime, timeless, beautiful, eternal. It can be everything you want in a pistol, from a stock carry gun/work horse to a full blown competition gun. The options are endless but the base pistol is still something truly remarkable.

Shooting one in competition affords one every advantage. I am one of the folk that ' graduated' to the 1911 so i have walked the road to this pistol. I have tried almost every possible pattern/type/brand but im here to stay