Why aren't revolvers pistols anymore?

Dave85

This reality was mentioned on another thread (MM versus Caliber). I have never heard an explanation as to why revolvers are no longer properly labeled as pistols. When they were first introduced they certainly were, albeit often with a qualifier like "revolving pistols" or some such. :confused:

Handy

The word "pistol" has debatable roots, but the one that seems to make the most sense includes the idea that the chamber and barrel are a one piece tube. That would mean that the revolvers aren't properly pistols. However, the word has changed considerably with usage and such a strict definition is no longer applicable. "Pistol" is now used synonymously with "handgun".

Quartus

Well, at least we know that a 9mm semi is NOT a "revolver". Ever listen to a British news report? The only handguns that exist for those people is a "revolver". :rolleyes:

Darkangel

There is a little book you can buy from the NRA that is very helpful to beginners "NRA Firearms Fact Book" a lot of helpful info in one small book.
The term "Auto Pistol" was used a lot at the beginning of the 1900's to tell the difference from a Revolver during conversation. But you can trace the term way back......The defenders at the Alamo were refered to as "Pistolaros"(please forgive the spelling) in some older text, and in 1836 all Mil. "Pistols" were single shot.

mete

The term pistol is hundreds of years old.Originally all were single shot. The multi shot revolvers came in the 1800s, so a single shot was a pistol and a revolver was a revolver. When semiautos were introduced they also were called pistols.......And then there was our last governor(Cuomo) who referred to a 9mm automatic revolver !!! [yes there was a real auto revolver, the Webley-Fosbury]

Jim Watson

This would all be news to Sam Colt, who regularly referred to his products as "pistols," with or without the modifiers "revolving" and "repeating."

Looking at old advertisements in Haven & Belden, the convention of calling a revolving pistol a "revolver" seems to have come along about the turn of the century as double action revolvers were getting well established.

Have read the autobiography of John Wesley Hardin, and he definitely referred to his revolvers as “pistols”.

My opinion is that the U.S. Army decided to clarify the nomenclature in field manuals such as “Pistols and Revolvers”, and that when people started to get picky about it, and the NRA followed suit.

The media still occasionally performs the blooper of describing any handgun carried by a police officer as a “service revolver”.

Personally, I have no problem calling a revolver a pistol.

RWK

This is strictly a personal opinion: (1) pistols includes all handguns, as such (2) all autoloader/semiautomatic sidearms are pistols, as are all revolver sidearms, and are all single shot sidearms (such as Derringers and TC’s Encore, Contender, and so forth).

Dave R

I'm with RWK.

When I was youger, pistol was a synonym for handgun.

There were revolvers and semi-autos, and both were pistols.

But usage changes over time...

Mal H

Staff
Just a few days ago I heard that pistol is derived from the old Czech word for pipe (musical type) or fife. Makes sense. I think it was on Jeopardy.

Greybeard

Well ... according to the back side of my TX CHL ... :rolleyes:

NSA = Only handguns that are not semi-automatic
SA = All handguns, whether semi-automatic or not

BigG

It just proves that you can educate some people past their capacity. If you diagrammed it out the root of the tree would be "pistol" with single shot, revo, and automatic as branches from the same root. Jim Watson knows whereof he speaks.

Handy

It should be no surprise that this is confused and unclear. Firearms people are not careful with their terminology. Even gun companies screw things up by referring to blowback as "recoiling" and similar problems.

"Carbine" used to mean a short rifle, which is a full sized rifle by today's standards.

I'm sure I will live to see a similar discussion about how clip and magazine are the same term, with many offended parties when someone insists that the terms are different.

Hard Ball

They were offically called revolving pistoks when they were first issued to the US Dragoons during the Mexican War,
The attack orders were
"Draw revolving pistols!
Pistol charge! Follow me!"

FirstFreedom

So the question is, now that we've established that revolvers were traditionally called pistols, is this: Do we, as a cross section of the most knowledgeable group of gunnys across the world, resist the change to the word's meaning by taking each opportunity to call them pistols, or do we meekly give in this change? :dunno: It's the old tradition vs. evolution thing - I vote for resisting change and keeping pistols as being synonymous with handgun myself. How do you vote?

45 Fu

I say we keep revolvers as "revolvers" and "pistols" to refer to any other handgun that is not a revolver. To me, this is as irksome as someone calling a magazine a "clip." They are different things and should be called by their correct name. I know some figures have used the terms interchangably, but that doesn't make it right.

No one in their right mind would call a 1911 or Glock a revolver because they are not. It's the same either way. Things are what they are and we should stick to it.

There. I've had my rant for the day.

FirstFreedom

It's only irksome to you because you've learned the incorrect definition (incorrect, at least, according to the orginal definition when revolvers were created).

"Things are what they are"? No, they are what they are NOT, when you refuse to call a revolver a pistol, in accordance with its original definition, as revolvers being a wholly-encompassed subset (type) of pistol - a revolving pistol. You're using circular logic, which is a flaw. That's like someone saying that when you call a clip a magazine, you're irking them, because they know that the detachable thing that holds cartridges surrounded on 5 sides by metal is a clip, not a magazine, and YOU learned it wrong, not them. Circular.

I guess there's really 2 questions: (1) What does a reputable dictionary say the definition is (such as Oxford's); and (2) IF Oxford's says that a pistol is a semi-auto or derringer or single shot or bolt pistol, but not revolver, THEN should we or should we not try to buck that definition in order to make it evolve BACK to its original definition. I say that we do buck back to the original def!

Don't get me wrong, 45 Fu, you're RIGHT about what the dictionary says, IINM, as definition number "1". I believe that it is only the secondary definition of pistol that shows it synonymous with "handgun". But this is vice versa of how it was in the past. Somehow it changed in the last 80-100 years.

Handy

FF,

I'm not sure where you're coming from. If the term has always been misused, is it correct or incorrect?

Some dictionaries offer a definition that goes back to the original root word that suggests that the bore and chamber must be one. But some of the first revolver people took that term and applied it to their new weapon. That creates two seperate "correct" histories of the term.

To me, that means that the term has flexed considerably in its history, and no one definition is anymore true than another.

Darkangel

OK stop the fighting. Any term changes with each generation. Look at the term "Gay". When I was growing up the term ment someone who was very happy, now it means a Homosexual.
I think I now use the term Semi-auto/auto loader & pistol to mean an auto loading handgun and revolver to mean just that. Others will use their own terms but we usually figure out what we are talking about pretty quick.
Many use "pistol" to refer to any handgun, and to tell you the truth I don't think it really matters that much.