Why aren't double triggers more popular?

muzzleblast...

My granddaddy, born in 1900, taught me to shoot and hunt. He was a very practical man having experienced the effects of two world wars and the great depression. I have the 12 Ga. SxS LeFever Nitro Special that he used to take literally thousands of squirrels, rabbits and other small game.

I remember him telling me, effectually, "Always hunt with a double barrel shotgun with double triggers because if something breaks on one side, you still have the other side to hunt with." As I grew older I read books written by African professional hunters who preferred double rifles for much the same reason.

However, as mentioned earlier, for sporting game purposes, single triggers have the advantage.

Screwball

and did someone tell you that you shouldn't do that?

that puts more stress on the action

If the gun fails, someone will be fixing it... and not me.

Not for nothing, but the main idea of trap is hitting the clay. If I do it better with the top barrel, so be it. If you do it with the bottom barrel, so be it... the gun won't fail either way.

eastbank

i like a two triggered shotgun for small game because its quicker for me to select the barrel and choke i want for the shot, short or long. for dangerous game up close i also would want a double triggered double barreled rifle. eastbank.

Ricklin

Bottom (of the barrel)

Sorry, could not resist the corny title.

When I shot an O/U for trap (8 lb. field gun) the bottom barrel delivered slightly less felt recoil.
That's a really big deal if you are shooting trap. The recoil starts to wear on you after a hundred rounds or more.

I'm told it's the lower bore axis, as the recoil is more inline with your shoulder. My experience is the recoil really is less, the reason above is logical.

Screwball

When I shot an O/U for trap (8 lb. field gun) the bottom barrel delivered slightly less felt recoil.

That's a really big deal if you are shooting trap. The recoil starts to wear on you after a hundred rounds or more.

I'm told it's the lower bore axis, as the recoil is more inline with your shoulder. My experience is the recoil really is less, the reason above is logical.

I shoot Remington Gun Club (#8) target loads... recoil isn't a concern to me. If it were hunting Magnum loads, then I probably would consider it.

I do see single barrel guns that use double receivers... and the barrel is on the bottom with the raised rib. But if you line up pump and autos with an O/U, the barrels are on the same plane as the top barrel. No issues with that?

If I was competing for extreme stakes, or in important competitions, yes... I'd probably take every advantage I could find. But if I'm shooting better with the top for whatever reason... I'll do that.

chardin

Are you sure you mean recoil and not muzzle rise?

Creek Henry

I never Had a issue with automatic safeties. I practice reloading amd mounting all of the time (with snap caps). When I cheek a gun I automatically thumb or finger the safety off without any thought. I haven't missed a bird or clay due to the safety being on in 20 years and that was day one when i switched back to a non tang safety.

dgludwig

I haven't missed a bird or clay due to the safety being on in 20 years

Same here but going on fifty years at last count. However, I have missed a couple or three for reasons that had nothing to do with the safety...:eek: