Why are red dot optics not standard from the OEM?

couldbeanyone

If you compete only against yourself, you will only ever be as good as YOU are. I have tried and owned several red dots. In my hands and testing irons are faster. I could care less who wins any division in a steel challenge, I want to win it outright overall. That has happened in 6 of the last seven matches. Also I have yet to see a less skilled shooter step to the box with irons, here the beep and 2 seconds later say where's the dot. By the way, did you ever really learn to use irons?

old bear

Why are red dot optics not standard from the OEM?

I can only tell you why I don’t care for red dot optics. They add unnecessary bulk to a carry gun. Then there is Murphy’s Law. Remember that iron sights either fixed or adjustable will never have a battery die or a wiring or connection fail.

The new optics may be just fine for target shooting, but I don't want them on any self-defense gun I carry.

rpenmanparker

I can only tell you why I don’t care for red dot optics. They add unnecessary bulk to a carry gun. Then there is Murphy’s Law. Remember that iron sights either fixed or adjustable will never have a battery die or a wiring or connection fail.

The new optics may be just fine for target shooting, but I don't want them on any self-defense gun I carry.
Wouldn't a co-witnessing mount for the red dot eliminate the fear of the battery dying? Wouldn't changing the battery every couple of weeks do the same?

My LC9s with Burris FastFire III optic is no larger than the so-called carry gun many folks tote around. And the Galloway mounting plate for the LC9s has co-witnessing iron sights. Tough to beat.

kozak6

No one? Seriously?

They are still far too expensive and I'm not convinced reliability is there yet.

A good one costs almost as much as the pistol, and will exceed that if an adapter or slide cut is necessary.

A set of Glock plastic sights are $20, and probably costs pennies to make.

Heck, tritium sights are $100 or less a set, and those aren't particularly standard.

Onward Allusion

Why? Because a gun needs to be KISS. That's why knowledgeable gun folks don't like internal locks on their guns and think that "Smartguns" are for idiots.

Aside from the fact that a red dot on a concealed piece would add unnecessary bulk, most have electronics and use batteries. Unless you're using a Tritium powered red dot, you will need batteries. Batteries can go leak or go dead. Glass can also break. A red dot is also more fragile than "iron" sights. Finally, they are also more expensive than regular sights, especially the Tritium powered ones which are a hundred more times expensive than iron.

So, that's why . . .

BTW, I have red dots on my fun guns and lasers on all my carry pieces...and I have iron sights on ALL my guns. ;)

Learn a few things before posting after a day here and start pontificating and calling people Luddites - or are you one of the old timers that have nothing better to do than to create a new handle to stir the pot due to boredom? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

223 shooter

Same here and my 55 year old eyes are a fan of optics. On the range I use red dots and even 1X scopes for any handgun I shoot at longer distances.

For my carry gun or defensive gun to be used in a moments notice I'll stick with open sights.

Like mentioned above even if the dot was factory standard probably not what I would choose to mount anyway and a good reflex style sight is half the cost of my defensive gun.

bassJAM1

I like red dots, but I wouldn’t pay more for a handgun that came with one. I still want irons available because they always work, and I think they're still impractical for conceal carry guns. Plus, I’m cool with a $80 Bushnell TRS25, but others only want to pay less and others vastly more than that. But to me the biggest thing is firearms are made to last a lifetime or two, (or three) so it would be silly to include an electronic device that will probably be obsolete in 10 years. Red dots have evolved a lot over the past few decades, and they will continue to do so. I’m going to venture to say that eventually we’ll even see models that will lay flat in a holster and then “pop up” when removed from a holster.

I do wish more OEM’s would drill their handguns for red-dot mount plates. Right now it’s only the top tier models that do so.

rpenmanparker

No one? Seriously?

They are still far too expensive and I'm not convinced reliability is there yet.

A good one costs almost as much as the pistol, and will exceed that if an adapter or slide cut is necessary.

A set of Glock plastic sights are $20, and probably costs pennies to make.

Heck, tritium sights are $100 or less a set, and those aren't particularly standard.
Actually the Sightmark Mini Pro Spec can be had for about $100 and is excellent. The poor reviews you may see date from previous versions which had problems. The newest version works very well.

rpenmanparker

I like red dots, but I wouldn’t pay more for a handgun that came with one. I still want irons available because they always work, and I think they're still impractical for conceal carry guns. Plus, I’m cool with a $80 Bushnell TRS25, but others only want to pay less and others vastly more than that. But to me the biggest thing is firearms are made to last a lifetime or two, (or three) so it would be silly to include an electronic device that will probably be obsolete in 10 years. Red dots have evolved a lot over the past few decades, and they will continue to do so. I’m going to venture to say that eventually we’ll even see models that will lay flat in a holster and then “pop up” when removed from a holster.

I do wish more OEM’s would drill their handguns for red-dot mount plates. Right now it’s only the top tier models that do so.
My knowledge of firearms does not date from when I signed up on this forum.

As for stirring the pot, that is how you keep it from scorching.

rpenmanparker

Actually there is a wide variety of mounting plates that install in the rear sight dovetail. Milling and drilling is not usually required.

Dragline45

I think it’s fairly obvious, red dots cost half the price of a Glock for example. Do you seriously think gun companies are going to start putting $200+ Red dots on their pistols as opposed to iron sights?

Cheapshooter

It might be interesting to know how many red dot nay sayers have actually tried them.
I have. Still have them on some of my "play" guns. Plinkers, and hunting guns like my Ruger Charger Take down. But none for serious SD. I'm not a highly trained Special Forces soldier in need of speciality, high tech equipment. Nor am I some Rambo wannabe that pretends I am. So I'm fine with what I know works quite well after decades of shooting.

rpenmanparker

I think it’s fairly obvious, red dots cost half the price of a Glock for example. Do you seriously think gun companies are going to start putting $200+ Red dots on their pistols as opposed to iron sights?
Yep. Wait and see. It happened to cameras. It will happen to guns.

The prices will come down. As I said the Sightmark at $100 is excellent. There will be more of that in the near future.

Dragline45

I get you really like red dots on your pistols, but you are being overly optimistic. Sure you will start to see more companies offer variants that are pre-milled to accept red dots, but it will never become the standard solely because of the added costs.

rpenmanparker

I get you really like red dots on your pistols, but you are being overly optimistic. Sure you will start to see more companies offer variants that are pre-milled to accept red dots, but it will never become the standard solely because of the added costs.
Let's watch and see.

stinkeypete

A big eye opener for me were my cowboy style Ruger Blackhawks. They shot right where I wanted once I found the right load at 25 yards... and that’s how they will still be shooting in 100 years.

How deep in the landfill will a dot sight be in 100 years?

For hunting I’ve used scopes and they have some advantages. My terrain is woods and corn fields. Over time, I learned how to wait and take my shots under 25 yards. Back when my eyes were sharp and I was a crack shot I took a few shots at longer ranges I was absolutely sure of, and I still regret my arrogance 20 years later. They don’t have twigs and branches at the range, and paper doesn’t run off and suffer if you misjudge. I learned.

I like reading about what all you fellas are interested in, even if you don’t yet admit that the Ruger Blackhawk is the finest revolver ever made!

K_Mac

rpenmanparker, I too think that offering electronic sights as an OEM option is great for those who want them. As other have said I don't want them to be standard equipment that I have to pay for and not use.

Yes, I have played with dot optics on pistols. No, I would not use them for self-defense. I respect your decision to use them, and am happy that you are better and faster with them. I am faster and better using iron sights. That doesn't mean I couldn't get used to using a red dot, but insisting that unless I do I am a Ludite is nonsense.

There are many of us here that have strong opinions on all things gun related. Most of us are not bashful about sharing those opinions. It is part of what makes this forum interesting. Beyond that though, sharing those opinions respectfully is what separates this site from many of the rest. If you're interested in spirited firearm discussion you're welcome here. Dogmatic assertions of your enlightened understanding of the proper use of a handgun, not so much.