Why are CZ High Powered Rifles So Accurate??

fyimo

CZ makes an excellent rifle and the trigger is great but so do many other makers including Savage. I have CZ 550 American in 22-250 and it's a great rifle but then I own lots of great rifles made by other makers. I also like Sako, FN, Remington, Winchester, Sig , Ruger,Etc

NWCP

I own 3 CZ hunting rifles and have been more than pleased with all three. I have the 452 Varmint with a Timney trigger in .17HMR, a 527 American in .223 and the 550 FS (full stock with iron sights) in .308. All three are excellent shooters and look nice as well. I would feel comfortable getting another... if they made a 25-06. :D Until then I'm good with the three CZ hunting rifles I own.

stinger 427

The CZ is a Mauser action unlike the others which are all pushers. In the military this Mauser action preferred since the claw actually grabs the shell casing wheras the pusher types the casing will fall out. Laws of gravity.

fyimo

The claw extractor is great but that doesn't make them a shooter because how small and how close together the holes are at 100 yards is what makes them a shooter. Unless you are hunting dangerous game the claw extractor while great doesn't come into play. A great rifle has a great trigger, aligned action, great bedding, and a great barrel and can shoot tight groups all day. The claw extractor is one component in the equation but not the whole answer.

stinger 427

This is true Mauser extractor has nothing to do with accuracy. They all can be very accurate guns like you said it is just part of the equation.

fyimo

Thanks Stringer 427 as I own 5 rifles with claw extractors and I love them all as I have pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 270, CZ 550 American in 22-250, H&R Ultra 300 Rifle with FN Mauser action in 25-06, H&R Model 340 with a Mark X Mauser action in 30-06, and a Custom built rifle based on a K98 action with Douglas barrel in 30-06. They are all excellent shooters but they don't shoot better then my two Sako's, Remington 700 CDL, H&R Ultra 300 Rifle built on a Sako barreled action, and Browning A bolts.

My point is that on all these rifles is I spent the money and time to get the triggers tuned, actions tuned, and bedding either glass bedded or tuned by a gunsmith. They are all great shooters and the claw extractor is a bonus feature on those that have that feature.

FALPhil

The CZ is a Mauser action unlike the others which are all pushers. In the military this Mauser action preferred since the claw actually grabs the shell casing wheras the pusher types the casing will fall out. Laws of gravity.

Stinger, I suspect you have never tested your theory. A well designed magazine push feed bolt action, as most popular push feeders are, will not allow the shell to fall out, even when the rifle is upside down, until at least half of the cartridge's length is inside the chamber. For practical purposes, gravity is a non-issue.

The real danger for push feeds is short stroking and double feeding, which will jam 2 cartridge tips into the chamber, causing the rifle to become unusable without some serious attention. However, Mausers are not totally immune to this either, as I have proved on one occasion with an M98 that had been converted to 308 Win without blocking the magazine for the shorter cartridge.

The non-rotating claw extractor that Paul Mauser designed was designed the way it was for extraction - not feeding - because the brass of the day was soft and extractors would tear through the rim prior to the Mauser design. The so called "controlled round feed" was an unintentional benefit.

But the argument is truly a non-issue. Generally, push feeds are just as serviceable for all tasks as actions with non-rotating claw extractors, yes, even for dangerous game. Thousand of hunters prove it every season.

Of course, I can understand someone who is not confident in his ability or technique to demand a non-rotating claw extractor on his magazine bolt gun. Anything to make the shooter more confident is a good thing.

fishhawk

cz hornet

european rifle makers use CPI chamber specs american makers use SAAMI specs.
this can be a good thing and and in some cases a bad thing.
i know with the 22 hornet(which head spaces on the rim not the sholder) the CPI rifles shoot great.
the CZ hornet has a CPI chamber as do most european rifles,and shoots the hornet well.

stinger 427

Fishhawk

I have heard of this in that the foreign gun ammo manufacturer's especially Fiochi load up their ammo to be real hot alot more than their american counterparts so if you want more velocity and power in a particuliar cartridge this is a plus.:D
But I guess you must make sure you have a gun that can stand up to these additional pressures or as they put in their disclosures especially Buffalo Bore Ammo which is American that these types of hot ammo can only be used in modern operating guns.:eek:

stinger 427

The latest on the Tikka 3

I did try out the gravity thing about the cartridge falling out because it's a pusher which is a military concern because the cartridge does fall out if you are in an awkward position or move while engaging bolt for whatever reason on the run or whatever the military does so I can see the claw extractor is better in that respect and may even be built to sturdier construction.

But as far as recoil goes on this Tikka 3 I have not shot it yet. I got it but haven't been able to get to range. I did get a Nikon Bushmaster series scope with the bullet drop compensator (BDU feature) bore sighted.
I just got a caldwell shooting rest to sight this gun in and it will take care of any recoil problem if there is one on this light rifle when I'm trying to site it in. The Caldwell shooting rest has 2-25 lb weight plates to hold things down to keep everything still and absorb recoil all of which I want at the time I'm sighting in this rifle.

Quick question in the area of recoil do they sell muzzle brakes/flash suppressor whatever you want to call it for the Tika 3 to reduce the recoil of gun?:confused:

Last edited:

NWCP

I own three CZ hunting rifles and all three were capable of sub MOA groups right out of the box. I tend to agree with a previous post regarding hammer forged barrels providing consistency. The .17HMR is an inherently accurate round, but my .223 and .308 were pleasant surprises. If I were to need another hunting rifle I would get a CZ for sure, even their little VZ58 is accurate. It's not a sub zero shooter, but for a 7.62x39 with iron sights it is great out at 100 yards. The price point on these rifles is very reasonable and the build quality is excellent.

Atomiclizzard

I'm a machinist and know a thing or two about metallurgy so here is my two cents. Im not sure how many rifle company's do this but cz "seasons" their barrels. Basically instead of machining there barrels to finish dimensions directly from bar stock, they cut them into roughly shaped blanks and age them in a warehouse that is open to the elements and are allowed rust and warp and whatever. Then when they are done aging they are skim cut down to finished dimensions. Metal has tension in it, when you cut it the tension is released. By aging the blanks are allowed t relax before there trued up resulting in a straighter barrel. This is about the best way I can think to explain it. Think of it like planing a piece of old barn wood to make it straight.

fourbore

First, I agree with the cz accuracy premise. I have experice with two more cz recently purchased 527 rifles. Not only are they sub moa, (sub 1/2 moa even), that is with factory ammo with very little trial and error. These guns are not rock bottom cheap cost, but a great deal when considering the product. That is nice walnut, (not just walnut, but nice walnut) polished and blue steel. Classic mauser actions are more effort to machine than cylinders like Remington or Savage. The guns look as good as they shoot. Same for the 550.

You know savage will produce both lemons and tack drivers. I propose the accuracy results from 2 simple steps. First: attention to detail. Such as replace worn tooling, better tooling, optimize machining for finish rather than just speed, operators who might actually qualify as machinist than just button pushers, etc. Second: inspection. I dont know how, but I am sure there are ways to quickly look inside and measure the chamber & bore. And, honest test firing.

Now toss in labor costs, pro business tax policy(?), worker pride, good management. All speculation, what ever they do, it works. I doubt they are any real secrets.

I know its not all rosy with CZ. They had some issue in the past. I also believe the current 455 rimfires are less refined and less accurate than the former legendary 452. The new 557 maybe a fine rifle, but it lacks the esthetics (and features) of the fine 550 mauser action and the excellent set trigger is gone. The rim fire is no longer offered with a set trigger option (old 453). On balance the company seems way ahead of the "made in usa" competition. The Tikka is fine for plastic.

Come back in 10 years, may all be different.

stinger 427

Well now it has almost been 8 years since this discussion came out.
What has changed on the Beretta Tikka 3 Lite?:confused:

I do know one thing about this rifle it kicks :eek:alot it hurts to shoot it because of the light weight but I love the smooth action.:eek:

mete

Atom, they've got things mixed up !! :rolleyes: There are types of cast iron which are thrown out into the yard to age . It really does work and had to explain to a friend why his new machine with cast iron base was a nightmare to hold dimensions on parts-- they forgot to age it !!
For steel such as in barrels we stress relieve it in a furnace at about 1200 F for 2 hours to remove stresses. We metallurgists do those things all the time .:)