Why are CZ High Powered Rifles So Accurate??

stinger 427

These CZ 550 Americans are very hard to find even going to the CZ dealers don't keep them in stock so you really can't get a feel for them. Plus it seems to be that they cost in the $800 - $900 range at least here it does.
Over my budget.:(

kenjs1

Stinger, go to gunbroker.com and do a search for the seller name ton80. He is probably the biggest CZ seller on the sight. He has a shop in Georgia and am sure he can get you a 30-06. Send him a private message or call 1-888-207-2220. You will be glad you did. My CZ 550 and my Dad's were bought through them. Cartridge choices seem to be a cycle. A short while ago everything was short magnums, then folks got on a 257 kick and you could not find one. I am starting to see more and more folks regenerating interest in the 30-06.

garryc

Let me tell you, I've shot a lot of rifles over the years and I've found CZ top rate. Two of the most accurate sporter rifles I ever fire were CZ 550's, both in 6.5x55. We are talking firing 5 shot groups into the same hole, about a penny in size, hot or cold with no zero shift. Absolutly great.

stinger 427

Thanks for the info. I will give him a call.
I was just curious though how do both of these rifles compare to each other?
CZ-550 American 30.06 vs. Baretta T-3 30.06 Stainless steel Lite?:confused:

kenjs1

Stinger -both will be great. either will be - or can be made- way more accurate than necessary to take game at long distances. If possible, go somewhere where you can hold each - doesn't have to be a 30-06 but do try a long action to get a taste of how it feels (like a 270 or 25-06 etc..). If they feel equally good then:
Why I would get the Tikka -because I love the light weight and ease of throwing it up into my shoulder. Because I plan to carry it a long ways, maybe up and down hills and need to save weight. OR- I might be riding a 4-wheeler on a county road to get to another part of my lease and a detachable mag makes it convenient to unload.
Why I would get the CZ - Because I like to shoot as well as hunt and these shoot softer than anything. They also load easier from the top -something I do whenever I am at the gun range. Because I like the use of the feathery touch set trigger when sighting in or shooting for greatest accuracy. Because I hunt from a stand and the extra 12- 16 oz don't matter. Because I prefer a barrel longer than 22" to squeeze as much velocity out of my rounds as possible.

stinger 427

Kenjs1 thanks for your input and info on these two quality pieces.
I actually did what you recommended about 2 months ago but I didn't purchase at the time. I compared a Savage $499, Rem. 770 $429, Vanguard $649, CZ $549. also a Mossberg at another store. Out of all of the above the T-3 felt the best holding it, handling it, gripping it and the real noticeable thing was the smoothness of the bolt action it was far better than all of the above even over CZ and Vanguard which aren't package deals with scope and neither is the T-3. The others area all package deals. I'm pretty sure now that it will be the T-3 lite in stainless with composite stock that I choose.
I'll just have to find a scope for it that matches:D I'm not sure about scopes if the color is just cosmetic or does the silver color on scope last longer or contributes to durability vs. the black scope. I know the black scope will match the composite stock. Seems to be that 3 x 9? is the norm of scopes used.
fyi the CZ 550 American was $689 from GB.

kenjs1

stinger, sounds good. I am sure you will like your Tikka. The CZ's are a controlled round feed vs push feed. A lot is made of that but for targets and nondangerous game in particular it doesn't matter one bit. Not sure it matters in any way if being truthful. The CZ's are based on the old mauser action and that style is harder to smoothen than push feeds. The color of the scope makes no difference to toughness. Don't know how much you have shot but a lightweight 30-06 can kick a little. 3x9's are very popular. Go to any higher magnification and you have to start taking parallax into account and the scope needs another adjustment for that. I like simple. In fact I prefer fixed power scopes for hunting. I saw you were on a budget and looked around a bit and think for $129 at Midwayusa.com they have a Weaver 40/44 3x9 scope and would think that would be a quality scope that would more than meet your needs.

stinger 427

Most of what I have shot are different caliber handguns, .223 rifle, .22 rifle, and 12 gauge pump.
Yes I was lead to believe that the Mauser is the superior of all the bolt actions and that if you could only have one rifle that would be the one to have 1898 Mauser in this case a CZ. Everything else in the market are "pushers" It is my understanding that whether Mauser or push action neither of these mechanisms will affect accuracy. The Mauser is suppose to be a better delivery system in that it is safer, stronger and it actually carries the bullet without shaving the brass unlike the pushers that do force the bullet and cause shavings. The CZ is from an old design Mauser 98? and I guess for cost reasons it costs more to make this kind of system vs. the pusher system which most bolt actions of today are.
They have never really been able to improve on the old Mauser design.
I have heard nothing but great high remarks of the CZ 550 which is the reason it has been a very very difficult decision and I know it is made in Czech and is suppose to be super accurate. But as I previously mentioned I did handle a CZ550 and a Vanguard of which neither are package deals with scope and I found the Baretta T-3 to have a much smoother action than the CZ. The CZ has wood so for those that like wood that's a plus.
I don't know what the weight differences are between these two but I do know I should expect alot more recoil from the lighter and easier handling T-3.
One thing for sure is I know that I'm going to get a refund on the Remington 770 that has come in for me to purchase but serial numbers not recorded so I can get a refund. I paid $399 for the Rem. 770 to the total cost of $461.00 which includes everything + scope. But after comparing all of the bolt actions again I even found out that I preferred the Savage over the Remington 770 because the action of the Savage felt better. To do follow shots on the Rem. 770 would be difficult because the bolt hangs up unless it breaks in over time and maybe more oil would help -I don't know. But I do know that the T-3 out of the box had the best feel out of all of them plus it is lower cost than a CZ550 and much easier to get even though it is made in Finland but it is a beauty of a gun.
I just wish I had the CZ550 display to do a second comparison but apparently the CZ is nowhere to be found as far as checking it out before buying it.

As far as the two different magazines the Baretta is via clip which I'm more used to. It would also be faster to reload if you have extra clips.
Now that system that is on the CZ and Vanguard is built in and I don't think you can reload as easy probably one by one unless they have strippers but I doubt that especially on a civilian model.
I wonder which system is suppose to be better or the major differences?

LanceOregon

The Tikka T3 is Sako's low cost rifle that they developed to compete in the lower price range of the market. They have made quite a few concessions in manufacturing these rifles in order to get the cost of the gun down.

The T3 Lite is the worst model of them all when chambered in a powerful caliber like 30-06, due to its super light weight, its cheap stock design, and mediocre recoil pad. These rifles really have a bad kick to them.

The old Tikka rifles made by the original Tikka company were fantastic rifles. But they were taken over by Sako, who was then later purchased by Beretta. Sako closed the old Tikka factory and let most of the workers go. The new Tikka rifles are now made at the Sako factory, and their design is nothing at all like the old Tikkas.

The current Sako Model 85 rifles, though, are now extremely expensive, with list prices from $1,550 to $1,950 Sako does have a new Model A7, though, that is much more reasonable, with a list price of $850 And it is even better than the Weatherby Vanguard sub MOA rifles in terms of guaranteed accuracy. For Sako guarantees the A7 will shoot 5 shoot groups at sub MOA, while the Weatherby Vanguard sub MOA guarantee is only for 3 shot sub MOA groups.

If you want a true quality rifle from Sako, the new A7 is really the best gun to get, and not the Tikka T3.

See:

http://www.sakoa7.net/

--

NWCP

I own three CZ bolt action rifles and all are exceptional shooters. In my way of thinking they give you the most bang for the buck. Their rimfire and centerfire rifles are all top notch. I have a 17HMR that was a tack driver right out of the box and a .223 that has proven to be every bit as accurate. The .308... what can I say? It's my favorite caliber and shoots every bit as well. The fit and finish of my rifles has been great. The Czechs have been manufacturing really fine weapons for a long long time. Their take on the Mauser action is rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. If only they made a 25-06. :D

stinger 427

Gosh maybe I should just get both the Baretta T-3 and a CZ-550 American since the CZ-500 American is so hard to purchase and find a display model.:D

stinger 427

:Dlol maybe so but figure if you buy something you want the best quality you can afford so you can enjoy it for a lifetime. I have some items that are over 20 years old in brand new condition because of quality and I took care of them.

Anyway at this point I can still go either way CZ 550 American or T-3 as I got the refund and I have the time to think about it. But I can't wait too long because these things either get sold out or prices increase or the ever changing political front makes everything harder on us with these stupid laws.
At least I found a place that can order a CZ 550 American.

$620 is a great price for this item from what I have researched because some places are asking $900 up but this would be like ordering blindly without checking it out again more thoroughly.

I know I didn't like that floor plate style on the Vanguard and the CZ has that and also has a beautiful wood stock if I remember correctly.
Decisions decisions and a difficult decision between the two:confused::eek:

stinger 427

MAUSER...That's what a CZ is suppose to be a modern day Mauser 98? A design that is old but could never be improved because it was the best?:confused:
Then again as far as accuracy goes isn't that mostly on the shooter? These rifles are accurate in the way they are built like the Tikka 3.

celtgun

CZ Remarks

I own only one CZ, 527 Lux in 22 Hornet, and I love this rifle. I researched a lot before buying it. I thank all said here on CZ is quite accurate. Great buy due to lower cost in their production plant. The 527 Lux is a short action Mauser 98 with single set trigger, if you haven't shot set trigger try one. Awsome differance. Lux also has a nice set of fixed sights, a must have for me personally. Used Warne detachable rings that are specifically for this model, so no interferance with sights with scope (Leupold VX III 2.5 x 8) removed. Research point I was impressed with was that this model wins more than half the centerfire small bore matches in Europe.
The rifle is not at all picky about ammo, shooting any 22H well according to more than one writer. My wood is beautiful to boot.
The accuracy level is attributed to the barrell being chambered and rifled in a "single operation", the barrell is not remove from fixture until both operations are complete.
I want more CZs and I want them to start producing the Dan Wesson revolvers. Another fine piece of work.

Good shooting will make up for poor gear, but superior gear will not make up for poor shooting. Jeff Cooper

FALPhil

Baretta makes the Tikka which is also in the line of Sako. So then wouldn't the Tikka T-3 be very accurate too? Better than Savage or down a notch from CZ 550?
Not necessarily.

I own CZs and Savages. My hunting partner owns Sakos and Tikkas. They pretty much shoot the same with the same ammo. Out of 12 rifles between us, the most accurate is a varmint weight 300 Win Mag that I built on a Stevens 200 long action, the same as the Savage 110. But its not a fair comparison, since the barrel on it is an aftermarket premium barrel and not a factory barrel. Still, the factory guns come real close.