Why are CZ High Powered Rifles So Accurate??

mes228

I have owned and shot a lot of rifles. All except one was accurate enough to hunt with. Some would shoot 1 MOA or close to it. I have a friend that is a CZ Dealer. They sell them, mount optics, and sight them in for customers. He told me that they have not had one that shot larger groups than 1" at a 100 yds. And many that surpassed that quite a bit. Being a skeptic by nature I purchased a Model 550 American in 30-06, mounted a 3 x 12 42mm SIMO scope and had at it. Apparently he told the truth. With el cheapo Walmart Winchester 150 grain Power Points this thing shoots like a house on fire. From a rifle vise it will shoot 3 round clover leafs about the size of a nickle. And do it over and over again. Just why is CZ able to produce target rifle accuracy in moderate price rifles? This rifle clearly out shoots anything I've owned, and does so with factory ammo. Anyone know why they shoot so well??

csmsss

The same question might be asked about Savage bolt guns. Many love to call them ugly, even crude, yet day in and day out, folks pull a Savage rifle out of its factory box, slap a scope on it, take it to the range, fill it with WWB or equivalent cheap fodder, and shoot tiny groups with it.

Scorch

CZ uses very good barrels, holds very tight tolerances, and has very tight quality standards. They have made quite a name for themselves by doing this.

butta9999

My CZ deluxe in .22lr is the most accurate rimfire rifle i have ever shot.. I love it.

The ammunition i use is Winchester powerpoints, i have tried many other brands with no success.

Jimro

The CZ action is a modern take on the classic M98 action but with a few improvements, the most noticeable is that it is very rigid.

Secondly the hammer forging process makes the barrels in a very consistent manner.

Jimro

trublu

I call my cz452 .22lr "the laser". It is an amazing rifle. Looks like I'll have to add a centerfire CZ to the collection......I hear the handguns are pretty good also. ;)

mpd61

I'd take two!

My Christmas dream:

A CZ550 American in 6.5x55
A CZ550 Lux in 9.3x62

Nothing on earth I couldn't take with that pair, and save my shoulder!:cool:

mes228

CZ

I've owned several Sakos, Savages, Weatherbys - including the new MOA models, Vanguards, Remington's, Winchesters, Tikkas, Rugers and a lot of other rifles. I trade a lot at gun shows - it's a sickness. For example I just sold a Tikka Target Model .308 and bought a Ruger M-77 RSI Mannlicher in stainless/walnut .250 Savage caliber. In my opinion not one shot as well as this CZ. At the very least it was less effort. Just go to Walmart and by the ammo. If factory ammo will shoot three rounds you can hide under a nickle. I suspect hand loads would better it some. If this Ruger Mannlicher will shoot groups three times the size, I'll keep it - at least for a while. In the .250 Savage caliber it really is a "neat" package. I may keep it just to look at it. It's very pretty.

LanceOregon

Plus I'm sure the single set trigger on their centerfire models doesn't help the accuracy any

The CZ trigger pulls are indeed excellent, even if you don't use the Single Set feature. If you do, though, it allows you to safely convert your trigger into a light target trigger, when you are ready to take your shot.

CZ has added a set trigger to their new model 453 rimfire rifles too now. Anyone now buying a new CZ rimfire should really buy the new model 453, so they can get a set trigger. It is definitely worth spending the slightly extra money to get the model 453 over the older model 452.

--

stinger 427

I'm trying to find a new one for purchase and am having a real hard time. I tried all the distributors from the CZ website and only one place / distributor for CZ I found sells them. The cost? $800:eek:

Now I'm considering getting a Baretta T3 instead for $600.

or
The Savage 111FCXP3 (package deal with Simmons Scope). $399

I bought a Remington 770 but am probably going to trade it in for the Savage 111FCXP3:D as paper work hasn't gone through yet.

Blue Grass

I heard. read, or was told that CZ buys their cutters, reamers, and tooling from Sako. Don't know this for a fact but CZ does make some seriously accurate firearms. I currently own a -550 in .30-06 and a -550 Varmint in .308 as well as 6 CZ pistols. The only knock I have againts CZ is their rifle stocks. The wood quality is variable as well as the inletting and bedding. My .308 Varmint shot cloverleafs out of the box but my .30-06 had to be bedded. My shooting pal ordered a CZ shotgun that had a Turkish walnut stock that was as beautiful as anything Weatherby turns out. He later ordered a CZ-550 rifle that the stock was split from the forearm all the way back to the magazine.

stinger 427

Baretta makes the Tikka which is also in the line of Sako. So then wouldn't the Tikka T-3 be very accurate too? Better than Savage or down a notch from CZ 550?:confused:

kenjs1

Stinger- no set rules, each rifle is different. Two identical rifles with consecutive serial numbers may shoot completely different. Beretta owns Sako\Tikka- they don't really make them. Tikka's are a deal because they use Sako barrels which are famous for their quality. That said, on any given day one off the shelf CZ for example, may shoot better than the Tikka I grab off the same rack but not as good as a particular Savage and vice versa. Rifles are individual and most can shoot good off the shelf. Many, very good. Often it is a matter of finding the one ammo your rifle likes to make it really shine. So things like balance and feel and quality of materials begin to get mentioned more and more when dealing with folks who own several. A few common break down regarding the three you mention. Tikka- universally loved for the triggers. Crisp and adjustable -made to shoot rather than protection from lawsuits. Very smooth well designed bolts, great Sako barrels and decent rings included for a terrific price. The knock from some is the plastic magazines (clips) and trigger guards and only being made in one action size. The short action have a stopper. Personally I would love one but they don't feel right when I shoulder it- it might simply be I don't like the gap in the checkering. Ok- maybe a stupid reason not to like one but it is my stupid reason. CZ- high quality, a bit old world. Very stout bolt, stout rings, great trigger and a set trigger function that makes range time awesome. Also comes with rings. No plastic parts and lapped barrels. Knock is they are heavier than most production guns today and the finish , while tough and purposeful, hides some often very nice wood- making it tough to get to. Savage- much improved from a decade ago with the accutrigger- loved by many, not so much by traditional trigger lovers, they have stocks with full bedding blocks and a floating bolt head that was done to reduce costs but resulted in added accuracy. The barrels have a barrel nut for removing them that many find ugly- BUT makes it easy to swap barrels and therefore change caliber\cartridges. Stocks have been traditionally very very plain and attention detail a bit lacking but accuracy for a low cost. Marlin borrowed most of these features for its new bolt action line and I would be tempted to look at one of them if money was my main priority. By all accounts they garner similar accuracy but for even less than the Savages now cost. Anybody think I missed the mark on this?