Who made Walkers?

madcratebuilder

What about the 3rd gens that have lettered? I have documentation that came with a 3rd gen that states Colt well letter them. I just don't feel the need for a three hundred dollar letter.

I know Uberti did.
But a guy offered me a Walker at a tantalizing price, but he doesn't know the manufacturer. He says it's "old even for a replica" and doesn't seem to be marked.
He lives too far away for me to drop by to look over for proof markings (unless I have a pretty good idea I'm going to buy it.)
In short, were any of the reproduction Walkers real losers?Second, do you Walker owners actually shoot your Walkers, get decent accuracy and enjoy them? I'd hate to buy something that's going to gather dust.

good question. I had an ASM Walker, it indexed and shot great. The 60 grain powder capacity was awesome...and it was very accurate...BUT...

historically the Italian replicas have cast steel frames that are case hardened, and in 6 shots it peened the wedge and was slightly but noticeably a little loose. Also it is heavy to carry, and aim.

If you really want to "enjoy" a Walker, which means shooting it with full loads of powder like a battleship broadside (no other sane, smart reason to own one IMHO), try to find a vintage STAINLESS STEEL Walker, like this one

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129690370

or, buy a forged steel frame Walker from Uberti, like this one

http://possibleshop.com/pistol-uberti.html

the soft steel/case hardened Walkers otherwise will shoot loose in a hurry, I sold mine, because a replacement wedge is $45 and I didn't feel like spending the money. A local fella offered $65 more than I paid for it, so away it went. Had I kept it, I would have had a stainless wedge made for it. Any of the Colt open tops are only as good as their weakest part, in this case the wedge.

the guy is giving you a tantalizing price, because he's most likely upgrading to a stainless or forged frame gun. 60 grains is a lot of powder to put holes in paper targets with- the best all around cap/ball pistol, the one that should be the cornerstone of any blackpowder shooter, should be the Remington 1858. Strong topstrap, good price, 42 grain powder capacity. If you're bucks up, you'd be well served with a Ruger Old Army.

Last edited:

mykeal

historically the Italian replicas have cast steel frames that are case hardened, and in 6 shots it peened the wedge and was slightly but noticeably a little loose...the soft steel/case hardened Walkers otherwise will shoot loose in a hurry,

Now why hasn't that happened to either of my Walkers?

Is it just me. or does W.T. Sherman sound suspiciously like someone else?

is it just me, or are you awful jumpy and paranoid for some odd reason ? treat all new members like this here ? I mean, is this public forum, or not ? not everyone is a newbie with no shooting experience. it's not rocket science that the stainless walker is stronger than the steel one, and the forged frame walker is better than the old cast one- is stating such a crime to you ? this topic is discussed openly on the high road, gunboards, etc. with no issues, so what's your problem with it ? it appears you and your buddies have stymied any useful information here, and the moment someone comes in with some new ideas, you jump on them- how does that help the hobby ? man, some guys...:confused::rolleyes:

Fingers McGee

is it just me, or are you awful jumpy and paranoid for some odd reason ? treat all new members like this here ? I mean, is this public forum, or not ? not everyone is a newbie with no shooting experience. it's not rocket science that the stainless walker is stronger than the steel one, and the forged frame walker is better than the old cast one- is stating such a crime to you ? this topic is discussed openly on the high road, gunboards, etc. with no issues, so what's your problem with it ? it appears you and your buddies have stymied any useful information here, and the moment someone comes in with some new ideas, you jump on them- how does that help the hobby ? man, some guys...

Sheesh - talk about paranoid. Amazing what a simple question will elicit.

Hawg

it's not rocket science that the stainless walker is stronger than the steel one, and the forged frame walker is better than the old cast one-

Same old drivel we've already been through.:barf:

MacGille

Fingers, Hawg, your attitudes toward Captain Crossman and now W.T. Sherman are overshadowing your obvious knowledge and expertise. You both need to check your attitudes before you blog. There is a very great danger of just looking like jerks.

mykeal

MacGille - I'm struck that you chose one side and not the other for your advice, although I suspect that you, like me, consider the protagonist(s) to be misanthropic and thus unwilling to listen.

Nonetheless, it's generally good advice. I've said before, the best approach is to make use of the Ignore feature. You only feed his ego when you respond to the misanthrope's diatribes. Getting recognition is what makes him tick.

Doc Hoy

Huh?

I like all of you guys equally.

Especially Capt Crossman for suggesting the extra investment in an ROA. I like handling my Colts, I like cleaning my remingtons but I like shooting my ROA.

I have noticed some pretty good deals on Gunbroker lately.

eg. $385 for a stainless adjustable sights 7 1/2 " barrel the other day.

I am pretty sure a dealer here in Norfolk still has a never shot never turned blued model with adjustable sights still in the box and all. Price on the box was 398.00.

Tnx,

Barry

mykeal

I don't believe CVA ever made any revolvers. Imported, yes, manufactured, no.
I think the Walker was made by ASM.

Hawg

Fingers, Hawg, your attitudes toward Captain Crossman and now W.T. Sherman are overshadowing your obvious knowledge and expertise. You both need to check your attitudes before you blog. There is a very great danger of just looking like jerks.

With all due respect I don't think it's us that look like jerks but if we do then so be it. I just call'em like I see'um. IMHO Sherman is Crossman.

CVA made one at one time I believe.

I know they put one out but Mykeal may be right they may have just imported it.

olmontanaboy

With all due respect I don't think it's us that look like jerks but if we do then so be it. I just call'em like I see'um. IMHO Sherman is Crossman.
If I'm not mistaken it looks like all the posts made by "Sherman" have had the name changed to "Crossman".

RRR

"I don't believe CVA ever made any revolvers. Imported, yes, manufactured, no.
I think the Walker was made by ASM." Ok. CVA had other makers make all there stuff. If my local gunstore guy is right.