Who dresses like me while hunting?

HiBC

If this link works,it will get you elk camp 2007.
The day before,we hauled it in via backpacks.It took some hours.
The day we packed it in,it was nice! Warm! The forest floor was dry,brown pine needles. No snow!!
All that fell overnight,and there was big time lightning and thunder on top of us
all night.

I'm just saying mountain hunting requires being prepared. It might be different than what you are used to.

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=4834192197d2beb65c6cf9334bc6ba3f&oe=60DBCF30

Last edited:

Rifletom

Decent boots/socks, Wranglers, some sort of shirt that applies to the temps and blaze orange cap. No fashion show here.

jmr40

I use the canvas type pants to protect myself from the cactus plants in West Texas.

I'm just saying mountain hunting requires being prepared. It might be different than what you are used to.

Where, what, and how you hunt matters. What works in one place could get you killed somewhere else.

100% cotton is a deal killer for me anywhere. I've been caught in a rainstorm 5 miles from the truck while turkey hunting when temps were in the upper 50's. With all cotton and a light breeze that is cold enough to kill you from hypothermia.

Of course wool works, but today we have better, less expensive synthetic options. It doesn't have to be 100% synthetic. I've found pants with a 60/40 cotton/synthetic fabric to work pretty well.

bamaranger

attire

I made my first deer hunt in 1970, age 12 . If you were well dressed, you were in a Woolrich suit, , black/red plaid, the Pennsylvania Tuxedo. Even then, a fluorescent orange cap was required (I think, if not, soon after). I got a red/black Woolrich set as an early Christmas gift about age 16 or so. Out grew that in about 10 years. Still have my Dad's XL buffalo plaid coat which I can wear if I don't put any layers under it, but I do not hunt in it, just to town on really cold days.

Alabama requires a fluorescent orange cap (100 sq inches) during gun deer hunts. I've always felt a bit silly wearing camo and an orange hat! As a dedicated bow hunter, I can hunt certain tracts of land closed to gun hunting and not be required to wear orange. A brown camo wool jacket, and GI Korean War era wool OD pants are the norm, with layers of fleece or poly as weather requires. The dang GI pants are tough as nails, warm and quiet.

Here in the sunny south our deer season begins on August 15th. I hunt in shorts, tennis shoes and a tee shirt. Killed many good bucks that way. When it gets cold I wear most anything that keeps me warm.

reynolds357

It's a well known fact that you can not kill a deer without at least $450 worth of camo. Can't kill a big deer without $600 worth.

stagpanther

Here in the sunny south our deer season begins on August 15th. I hunt in shorts, tennis shoes and a tee shirt. Killed many good bucks that way. When it gets cold I wear most anything that keeps me warm.
I contracted chronic Lyme disease hunting down south and it has profoundly changed my life, something to think about it when choosing how you dress for crawling around in the woods.

I contracted chronic Lyme disease hunting down south and it has profoundly changed my life, something to think about it when choosing how you dress for crawling around in the woods.

I cannot imagine anyone wearing shorts in the South either. As I previous post above, I an OCD about Tick protection in my clothing. We have a friend that was once a beautiful young woman. Lyme disease destroyed her life. Now confined to a Wheel chair barely able to speak. Even with protection, two years ago, I came home from hunting on a Saturday and on Sunday had a tick in my neck. I went to the ER. The Doctor had to cut it out. Required stitches. She gave am a antibiotic and and a precipitation strictly for Lyme disease. She told me that it was smart to come to the ER as a tick Bite and Lyme disease has a very SHORT window for infection to occur.
So many People are so ignorant toward the disease. So many myths out there. Ticks for instance to not die off in the winter. Yes, not as active, but still there. Early March Turkey season is a good time to pick up a tick.
I do not understand many of the post here about adversity to modern day hunting clothes. Camo, tick Repellent, moister wicking, sent control, and just the plain fact that you can get WET.
I am in the woods almost year round. A health Bear population and snake population. None of which give me any major concern. THE DEER TICK SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME! I post this a a dire WARNING! Just like Situational awareness in important in safety, so is Protection against the TICK.

Last edited:

doofus47

If I'm chasing pronghorn where i'll be sitting in a 4 runner more than I'll be on foot, i'll wear half camo, but I usually wear at least surplus camo b/c those pants are cheap and durable.
For archery, I doll up a bit.

natman

If you choose the right colors, plaid makes good camo without the camo-image.
The red / black plaid was used to "break up your outline" for deer and the red to make you visible to other hunters. It's the same goal today, fabric technology has just improved since then.

Where I live, blaze-orange is not required, so I don't wear it. If they can't see you, they can't hit you.;)

At least not on purpose. If solid blaze is not required, wear a blaze camo vest. While blaze is hi-viz for humans, deer see orange as a shade of green, so blaze camo isn't going to give you away.

stagpanther

I cannot imagine anyone wearing shorts in the South either. As I previous post above, I an OCD about Tick protection in my clothing. We have a friend that was once a beautiful young woman. Lyme disease destroyed her life. Now confined to a Wheel chair barely able to speak. Even with protection, two years ago, I came home from hunting on a Saturday and on Sunday had a tick in my neck. I went to the ER. The Doctor had to cut it out. Required stitches. She gave am a antibiotic and and a precipitation strictly for Lyme disease. She told me that it was smart to come to the ER as a tick Bite and Lyme disease has a very SHORT window for infection to occur.
So many People are so ignorant toward the disease. So many myths out there. Ticks for instance to not die off in the winter. Yes, not as active, but still there. Early March Turkey season is a good time to pick up a tick.
I do not understand many of the post here about adversity to modern day hunting clothes. Camo, tick Repellent, moister wicking, sent control, and just the plain fact that you can get WET.
I am in the woods almost year round. A health Bear population and snake population. None of which give me any major concern. THE DEER TICK SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME! I post this a a dire WARNING! Just like Situational awareness in important in safety, so is Protection against the TICK.
I was once out in the woods and sat down and leaned up against a tree--might have been turkey hunting. When I got home I pulled 32 ticks off me.

taylorce1

I wear a lot of Carhart and other such work clothes when I hunt. This last year however I purchased some Cabela's brand camo clothes to hunt in. It wasn't because it's camouflage, I bought it because it was a layering system for a late November deer hunt at 9000 ft. I don't think camo helps much with hunting, except predator and turkey hunting.

I spent about $600 maybe a little more on actually two sets of camo so I could swap out clothes as we were hiking 10-15 miles daily, and staying out all day living out of our packs. Lows were around freezing and highs were upper 60's so layering was important, and I knew the items I purchased worked together. In contrast I did the same hunt in 2014 and the low was -20 with a high of 0⁰, I used Carharts and hoodies and it PITA to stay warm, get the gear in and out of my pack, move because it was so bulky, and it was unnecessarily heavy. You can go to your favorite mountaineering store and buy the same stuff as the high end Kuiu, Sitka, and etc, it just probably will not be camouflage like you see on hunting clothes and it may or may not be cheaper.

I don't need my camo system to get on game, but it has been working to regulate my temperature better. This sure makes my hunting more enjoyable, and keeps me in the pursuit longer. Do you need expensive camo to sit in a elevated deer stand or box blind, not really unless it makes your time in each more comfortable.

Lima Oscar 7

The only hunting I do anymore is Duck Hunting. I will wear plaid if it’s made up of Drab colors. Wool plaid works well on those cold Winter days.

Geezerbiker

For deer hunting, I try to make sure I don't wear any blue or yellow. Deer are supposed to be red/green color blind but blues and yellows stand out to them. It's probably one of the reasons why I had poor results when wearing blue jeans when hunting...

Tony

stinkeypete

When I was deer hunting, I would dress just like that, but with long underwear under it, insulated orange snow pants over, and a great huge orange parka and hood over it! My boots are two sizes too big, so I can but a pocket sized handwarmer in each pocket.

Nowadays, I enjoy pheasant hunting more. I got old.

reinert

When I was a youngster who started hunting 60 years ago, about the only thing I had for any kind of cold weather hunting was made of cotton; long johns, sweat shirt, cotton coat, etc... and maybe a pair of wool socks in some cheap, sweat inducing rubber boots, along with those Jersey gloves (cotton) for the hands, and a RED stocking cap for the head (yup, pre-florescent orange years). Also, I had a RED, very lightweight, cotton smock that went over my not so warm hunting clothes at the time. It's what my folks could afford for my brothers and me whilst growing up. We were no ways near poor, but extra clothes for "hunting only" wasn't a reality, whatsoever. Being young back then, and being able to hunt, was enough inspiration to be out and be COLD if the weather said so. Fall was the time my bros and I lived for.

Now, geezze loueeze! What we have to wear in any kind of outdoors activity is pretty amazing. Footwear is unmatched these days, marino wool undies, different grades of fleece fabric, Gore Tex and whatever else new derivative of that material is now available for a garment. Personally these days, I use wool (really like the marino stuff), fleece, and Gore Tex for the footwear. I use it in layers however I need for the weather. And I DO NOW have clothes set away each year just for the hunting season. After all my years in the field, I've got a system that really works well for me, in any weather condition. Mountain hunting for elk will make me figure the best clothes situation I need for chasing those wily wapiti (weather can change in a hurry up in the High Lonesome). And while hunting with a rifle, I don't feel a camo outer garment is really needed. I have a great old wool shirt I wear almost all the time on the mountain while hunting. It's a plaid, red/gray patterned fabric that breaks up my image, and I believe in most situations, it's every bit as effective as any camo pattern. I also use a wool, Kromer style hat that's florescent orange (with a good aging color to it; not quite so florescent anymore).

Big game hunting to me is all about the wind, and seeing the game before it sees you; then it's the process of setting up the shot with the skills I've acquired through the years to get to the trigger time. And these days in the fall, my clothing is everything I surely wish I had when I was a kid...just didn't know it back then.

Evening of 8-24-21 I killed a nice 8 pt in velvet. Wearing shorts, tee shirt and tennis shoes.
I don't have problem with ticks. It's the rattlers and moccasins that I worry about. If I have go look for one in the dark. I keep a pr of snake chaps in the truck for that.