Who carry's reloads for CCW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlybrowning

I do usually because I have full trust in my reloads for SD and I have had misfires with factory ammo in the past. Just wondering if anyone else carries reloads? I have no reason not to that I can think of, plus I can tailor the load to my performance needs.

Crosshair

I carry realods simply because I cannot get factory ammo for my CCW gun. I carry a nickel plated 5 shot H&R American revolver in 38 S&W. (Last made in the early 1940's)

That gun is useless in DA because of the very bad trigger pull, but in SA I am very good with it in either hand. It is small and easy to conseal. Reloading it though it another matter. Takes me 90 seconds at the range to reload, so I only have the 5 shots. I think of it as a 5 shot derrenger.

I am working on getting my Bersa 83 ready for CCW, but that might be too big at times. I really want to get a Bond Arms derringer.

Ichiro

I typically have so much other crap in my pockets that I don't carry a reload.

I do have a reload handy in my car, however, and several in my home.

Edit: I misunderstood the question. Please disregard.
Factory Gold Dots in mine.

Last edited:

TexasCop

Nope, factory ammo only for me. Don't buy the cheap stuff and you shouldn't have failures, unless your gun just isn't set up for the ammunition, in which case (as you are already doing) it's time to get a different gun.

onlybrowning

good stuff guys. I have never had a pistol reload not go boom, so I have confidence in them. I dont have many resources to get the ammo I would carry anyway, but even if I did, I couldn't afford it. As of now, I am shooting a 158 XTP over some bullseye.

junkpile

I would be incredibly uncomfortable carrying reloads. That said, if you have more success with your own reloads than you do with factory ammo, or the ones you carry you spent special time with, then I wouldn't see any issue with it. You just have to be sure you're willing to trust your life with your own work rather than factory work (which I can see happening).

Lurch37

I remember reading a few stories about the legal aspects of using handloads in a CCW or for that matter in any defensive weapon. The stories usually dealt with the lawyers for the other guy making it sound like you custom made man killer handloads...stuff like that. I think one article was from Mas Ayoob, and he advised against using them, (reloads)...as in why make it harder for yourself in court if your ever in that situation of defending yourself.

Rangefinder

I have my own loads because I have developed them specifically for the purpose I carry them for. Fctory is good, no doubt there. But I know what I put together and how it performs, just the same as I know how to use what I put it together for. Mine are custom.

joshua

The only reason why I would carry reloads in my CCW will be if there aren't any suitable factory ammo for self defense. Also another reason is if I can get better performance from reloads such as a 1911 with a fully supported chamber in 38 super or 45 ACP. In revolvers I would carry 357 mag and there are plenty of suitable self defense loads in factory form. josh

ATW525

210 gr Gold Dots over 9 grains of Unique in .41 Magnum. In all other calibers I just use factory ammo for carry.

Musketeer

It is an horrible idea.

For years people came out and said "Yeh, that Ayoob guy says its a bad idea but he could never proove it with a court case." Then in a recent Combat Handguns article he did cover reloads and the other "myths" that can get you jailed with court cases to back them up.

Those who advocate reloads still won't believe it though... It is like trying to convince Sarah Brady that gun control is no good. They have an emotional link to their position and will not change.

Crosshair said:
I carry realods simply because I cannot get factory ammo for my CCW gun. I carry a nickel plated 5 shot H&R American revolver in 38 S&W. (Last made in the early 1940's)

That gun is useless in DA because of the very bad trigger pull, but in SA I am very good with it in either hand. It is small and easy to conseal. Reloading it though it another matter. Takes me 90 seconds at the range to reload, so I only have the 5 shots.

So it is an anemic caliber with no modern ammo in a gun that can't be shot worth a damn in Double Action (the only way a defensive revolver should be shot) and it takes a minute and a half to reload... :confused: You chose this weapon for what reason? Do yourself a favor and spend the $200 on a used S&W J frame or something similar that can fire readily available ammunition, can fire more powerful ammunition, is reliable, can be shot double action and can be reloaded,

CCMO

Never. Factory Speer Gold Dot: "Your Honor, it was recommended to me by the Sheriff's department when I applied for my CCW."

Musketeer

Unless I'm mistaken Harold Fish used factory ammunition.
Yes he did but I am dispelling the myth that in some states you only need a good shoot.

Mr. Fish was demonized for choosing a weapon and ammo (10mm with factory JHPs) than was needed. At least one juror indicated his choice of caliber and ammo was a major factor in their decision to convict.

Mr. Fish is from AZ, one of those pro gun states where people like to say "All it matters is that it is a good shoot." Everyone with a brain in their head knew this was a good shoot but even in a state like AZ Mr. Fish was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.