Which Sig model does everyone prefer?

BigJimP

I have a pair of 226's - all stainless models - one in 9mm and one in .40 S&W ... / and a 226 X-Five in .40S&W ...

I have pretty big hands and the 226 fits it the best. I've fired most of their double stack guns ...and I just kept coming back to the 226 when I was looking for a DA/SA double stack gun. It just felt better in my hands than the 229, etc ... Internally, the Sig is well made / parts are solid ...its an easy gun to strip down to a bare frame ...and an easy gun to work on / if you ever break anything. Both of my 226's have well over 5,000 rds thru them ...so they're broken in ...but have many thousands of rounds ahead of them before any rebuild is even a consideration.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69456&d=1303170642 here are my standard 226's in all stainless.

The X-Five is a different beast ...single action only, all stainless - very heavy at almost 4 lbs with a full mag in it. Its a specialized target gun / race gun ...but its a very nice gun as well. The one I have - has the adjustable trigger in it - where you can change it from 2 - 4 lbs ...and I like that as well.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38523&d=1227203177 This is my X-Five ...5" barrel ...in .40S&W ,,

I also like the single stack 239 model - and I have a pair of them as well - one in 9mm and one in .40S&W . They make good training guns for new shooters / they're both DA/SA triggers / light weight - easy to carry if I wanted a light weight gun to carry.

Guns 11-6-08 013.jpg
This is one of my 239's ...just a standard gun with night sights...

Picking a model / just depends on what fits your hands -- and which trigger you want in the gun. I prefer their DA/SA triggers - unless you can find a single action only in the model you like / the DAK trigger just doesn't excite me.

Patriot86

My first (and sadly so far only SIG) is a .40 cal P-226 "Tac Ops".

I love my gun, from the 15 round magazine capacity to the fiber optic front right.

I would say though my favorite SIG (still trying to save up for one) right now is a P-229 Enhanced Elite. Overall it is as far as I am concerned the perfect gun, small enough for carry but large enough to have an above average magazine capacity.

Single Six

My agency issues the P220ST. Before that it was the regular P220. With both guns, the trigger return spring snapped in half while on the range, leaving me with a non-functioning gun. On our last qualification, this same thing happened to another one of our officers. Granted, our department armorer was able to fix it in a few minutes, but the obvious point here is: If it'll break on the range, why should I trust it to not do likewise if I ever REALLY need it to work? So which Sig do I prefer? None. I carry it because I have no choice, and I make sure I always carry a BUG [Ruger SP-101, which, like all of my Rugers, has never had function-critical parts self-destruct while in use].

WVsig

• W. German P228 Because it was my first Sig and it is the perfect balance between a concealed carry and duty sized gun. I love them so much I bought it twice.
  • W. German P220 I love me some 45 ACP.
  • German P245 See above.
  • W. German P226 Simply a great combat sized 9mm.
  • W. German P225 because its like the P220 and the P228 has a child.
  • German Sp2022 because it was cheap and I am a sucker for a Sig.

Roland Thunder

I have been wanting to get a Sig, however, I have already bought 2 guns in the last month so it may have to wait. The Sig I want most is the P226R E2 (like Constatine's). My 2nd choice would be the P220

camelshark69

So for lunch today I went to the local gun armory and handled a P239 .40 cal. Loved it! The weight was great, and it had hogue grips that felt great. Never saw this model before..

Last edited:

dgludwig

I've pared my SIG collection down to the two I like best: a Model 220 Carry and a Model 226 E2, both made in America. Another one that I was really fond of is an older Model 220 with the heel-mounted magazine release. I don't think you'll go wrong with any SIG you choose. Get the one chambered in the caliber you like best and that your hand likes most.

Terry A

I only have experience w/ the P226 (in .40) & the P220 and both of them have shot literally thousands of rounds without ever malfunctioning. Good quality, solid reliability.

AlexGRT

I started with a P226, but since have gotten rid of it. I still have a P220 and a P228. I am looking for SRT parts, but that's another topic. They are both great pistols but I find myself shooting them less and less. I have been shooting the HK45 and the BHP more and more.

BigJimP

Yes, I have a pair of 239's - just the standard models with night sights /nothing fancy. One is in 9mm and one is in .40S&W ...

Both of mine have the DA/SA triggers ...and they're good guns. They have a slim profile / and the extra spot for your little finger after you insert the mag - lets guys with bigger hands shoot them pretty well.

I like them mechanically / and I like them as a small carry gun ...but still very shootable vs the pocket guns that are just too small for me to manipulate comfortably.

I help a couple of certified instructors with classes of new shooters once in a while ...and the Sig 239 in 9mm is one of the guns that many new shooters quickly warm up to / especially people with smaller hands. It also doesn't intimidate newer shooters../controls are easy to reach, etc ...
----------------------
The sig 226's we were discussing before - are much thicker and much heavier ...and not suitable for smaller hands.

camelshark69

The 239 I held today felt solid and had some good weight to it also. I figured it would soak up the snappiness of the .40. Anyway im seriously thinking about getting it. If you don't mind me asking what you paid for your 239's new?

AK103K

The P226, followed by the P220 and P245.

My P250 actually has the most comfortable grip of any of the P series guns, and it too has been a good shooter.

priler

the X5 all around is on a short list of one of the next guns i'm considering.it's not for carry though,at least for me,..and i'm still trying to judge if the grip works for me and if extraction problems some have reported is an actual issue or not.

on that same list,for that specific purpose,is also the tanfoglio elite limited pro and a very few others.

Deja vu

any thing but the P238... that one is trouble. I just got my wifes P238 back from the factory for the third time. I really hope the third time is the charm, we will see with our next range trip.