Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Phone but no gun

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • No gun and no phone

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lee n. field

Since carry guns and phones can be more or less in the same price category, I thought it would be fun to ask which of the categories in the poll describes you?

If you want to mention age group that might be helpful too. I would speculate that younger folks care more about electronics and older folks about the firearm, but who knows.

I am in my early 50s, cheap phone (<$100 Motorola) and customized Glock gun (around $1300)

No guidelines on cheap vs expensive because that is different for everybody depending on income bracket etc. So by cheap or nice I mean to you.

Basically do you care more about quality in carry guns or in phones?

Would rather have a good gun, than a good phone.

Phone is a work provided Samsung android thing that's pretty old. If I didn't need Google Authenticator for a couple things, I could get by just fine with a flip phone. If and when I need to get my own, I'll likely go with a Trac Phone or some other low dollar android phone. The things most people like to do with their phones, mostly I think should be done an a laptop.

Carry gun, I've moved past the nasty cheap grade (Jennings et al) long ago, move past the mostly functional cheap (kel tec, Charter Arms) more recently, am currently into the "good qualtity & value for dollar" tier (XDS, S&W J, LCR). That's where I'm liable to stay.

Last edited:

GarandTd

I find the poll choices to be misleading. My gun is cheap, but "nice" in my opinion, and my phone is nice to me and cost more than my gun, but doesn't even come close to what some Apple products cost.

ghbucky

I rely on my phone for work stuff, and my employer pays for my cell/data service. I also rely on it for internet service if I am on the road or have a home outage, so I don't go discount for it. I have an iPhone 11 (I had to look up the model).

For a carry gun, I guess whether it is 'nice' is probably a debatable point. I like my Springfield XDS, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that think it is a crappy gun and wouldn't touch it.

Pistoler0

I like a nice phone, however I try to cheap out where I can. I use my phone until its having major issues, either due the battery not charging, or the software not updating anymore and not being supported. I try to wait until a new phone comes out and buy the last model s its usually discounted.

For carry guns, I have good reliable guns, P365, G19. Granted they cost less than my phone but they are great options.
That's the way I am, use the phone until it is no longer serviceable.

And the upside is.... I can forget it anywhere, and nobody steals it, I can always find it at whatever store or restaurant I left it at! :)

Pistoler0

I find the poll choices to be misleading. My gun is cheap, but "nice" in my opinion, and my phone is nice to me and cost more than my gun, but doesn't even come close to what some Apple products cost.
Yeah I should have thought out the categories in the poll a little better. I thought about editing it later but I cannot find a way to edit a poll once it is posted.

ballardw

"Free" phone, not particularly "nice" but I don't live on it like some. If I didn't have so many places using it for "two factor identification" I could go a week easy without using the phone.

Primary carry is Colt. 'nuff said.

Last edited:

Forte S+W

I don't like to spend much money, especially because I'm often broke or at least short on cash, so I typically have an inexpensive gun and an inexpensive phone, but I'm currently carrying a Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P40 Shield because I got one on clearance for $350 early this year.

attachment.php

My phone is still a cheap LG Tracfone though, but it does everything that I need it to do, so even if I were a wealthy man I wouldn't go replacing it with an iPhone or whatever.

7.62 man

I carry a Sig but my phone is an old Iphone 6.
The phone still works great for my uses so why spend money that's not needed.
I'm not trusting my life to a cheap gun.

Dunross

I tend to keep a phone until it stops working so while the one in my pocket right now probably isn't worth $20 anymore it was a nice one when I first got it.

I don't carry expensive guns since the chances are if I have to use it I may not get it back, but the ones I do carry are well made and serviceable. They go "bang" with every trigger pull!

I try never to leave the house with out both on me.

MarkCO

I voted cheap gun, cheap phone...in the context of EDC.

I have expensive (relatively) firearms, but they are usually not in my daily routine. I also have nice knives and sunglasses, also not in my daily routine. Also, at least to me, cheap means of poor quality and inexpensive. I'd more accurately describe my EDC items as inexpensive.

A single stack 9mm from Kahr or KelTec are my most frequent pistols. I'll swap out to a CZP07 when I am working security. But all are $500 or less. I have a $200ish Motorola phone, a Boker AK74 knife (under $40) and Tifosi (polycarbonate lenses, around $30) sunglasses and Fenix lights ($60 to $80). I have at least 2, in some cases 3 or 4, of each.

I consider all of those items, at some level, to be expendable. I have lost a AK74 knife, some sunglasses and a light. All "loaned" to someone else and I did not get them back. I don't cry about it, I just go to my spare and replace as needed. But all of those daily routine tools are functional and reliable.

Just dawned on me. I have at least two of my main carry guns.

3 Berttta Pico's
2 Kahr 380's
2 Kahr CM9's
3 Berettan Nano's

1 Cheap refurbished Samsung. Cheap phone gets carried Every day. I have no desire to replace it till it goes down. If the ammo shortage were not going, I would also have a Kahr P2.

Last edited:

RETG

Poll is missing some statements.
In my case.
RELIABLE gun(s), rather expensive phone. Guns less expensive than the phone, however, reliability is known. Phone is more expensive than many, but not all, and is also very reliable.
Both are important...at least to me.

And there is a need to get off the old people don't care about electronics or change. Biggest difference is we know where and when to use electronics and shy away from using them as we walk in front of a moving vehicle.
I have actually made a sport out of how many people I can "accidentally" walk into who are reading their phones while walking in public directly at me.
9UcPCy4.gif

Mainah

I was walking my dog in a parking lot several years ago, it was about 7 AM. We approached a sketchy young woman who told me that she was stranded and asked to use my phone. I handed her my old tracfone and her face fell and she handed it back.

She then gave me a sob story about needing gas money, and I told her I didn't have my wallet. Seconds later a guy flies up in a beat up car and she jumps in. The plan was to drive off with a nice phone.

I've got an old iPhone 5 now. Does everything I need.

HistoryJunky

I have a Samsung Note 9 and my usual carry gun is an H&K P30. I am 31.

Both I would consider fairly expensive, to me. P30 was about 700, with another 100 for night sights and another 50 or so for my holster.

Samsung Note 9 is paid through my phone plan. I generally don't have enough spare money to buy whatever phone outright. I believe it wouldve been 1k or more at the time I bought it

I use my phone quite a bit. For social media, forums like this one, Google Maps, remembering what to buy at the store, and a few other things.

Up until a few years ago, I had a prepaid phone plan and low cost phone. If I went back to that, I wouldn't be upset.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RickB

I've never packed any communication device but a flip phone.
My wife gives me a hard time about its shortcomings, but I like to remind her that in the 24th Century, as every Star Trek fan knows, everyone will be using a flip phone.

Pistoler0

my usual carry gun is an H&K P30.
[...] Up until a few years ago, I had a prepaid phone plan and low cost phone. If I went back to that, I wouldn't be upset.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
prepaid (tracfone) is what I've always had, it is cheap and it works great.

Man, I want an H&K P30 sk. I am trying to convince my wife to let me buy one for her ;) as a carry gun.

Last edited: