Which handgun does your husband use for a house gun?

Crankgrinder

I speak for myself but I personally have a rotation which includes a 1911, a glock19 and a berettapx4 in 9mms. Soon may also be a sig in a .40. The 357 doesn't do house duty, entirely too loud, too much penetration, not that the others don't penetrate. All are very comfortable to my hands.

45_auto

Why a handgun for home defense? AR15 here.

Bunch of loaded handguns hang on the door right next to it (Glock 21, Colt 1911's, S&W 66, Glock 19 and 26), but I wouldn't even think about grabbing one of the handguns.

Last edited:

Sharkbite

Pax,

I dont think it specific to "a man" or "a woman". Whatever gun you shoot best is the best choice.

Personally, my EDC gun gets a light attached and a suppressor screwed on for house duty. Unscrew the can, detach the light, holster and out the door.

8MM Mauser

Ouch.

My HD gun has been whatever made the most sense at the time.

First a Mosin-Nagant Carbine (it was my only gun for a few years that wasn't scoped)

then a 12GA shotgun (Mossberg)

Now a Glock 19. The G19 is really my defensive platform for CC and HD. It does it all reasonably well and is just faster to put into action than a shotgun, plus it is one platform to focus on. Oh and my beefy weight-lifter man hands like the thickness of the Glock grip. ;)

Now my WIFE; she still prefers the 12GA, and she just a tiny little thing...

Wyosmith

You'd have to ask my wife, but I doubt she'd care which one I grabbed first, as long as I use it well.
I am wearing a S&W 44 Spl right now, and I am within 8 feet of 2 loaded hunting rifles.

longlane

I'd respond more thoroughly, but...

My fine motor skills clearly aren't developed well enough to type much more....you know..."detail work".

Based on the assumptions and suppositions of the linked author, a rock and a tree trunk will now replace my glock 21.

Last edited:

ScotchMan

12 gauge is primary, but there is an HK45 handy if searching the house is needed. Fits my X300, has 10+1 of .45ACP, and I prefer a "cocked and locked" or condition one gun for this purpose.

When someone makes a good striker-fired .45ACP with the European-style mag release, I might consider changing, but the HK45 is not going anywhere. This would probably be the VP45, since Walther doesn't seem to be committed to the .45, though maybe that will change as they get established in America.

I have a 10 round limitation in my state, otherwise this would be a PPQ or VP9 for sure. However, if we're doing wishful thinking, if I lived in a truly free state I would keep the .45 and have a dedicated suppressor on it for home use.

Stevie-Ray

Well, I'm the husband, and I've been using my EDC for home defense, a Kimber UCDP in .45 ACP, for over 10 years now. I keep an AR-15 and a 12 ga auto loaded in the safe, but the EDC is my goto nightstand gun as it comes out of the holster every night. I had to change the grips to make it perfect for me.

P5 Guy

Live Alone

A Glock 34 with a plus two magazine extension puts a full box of 20 rounds at my disposal. I'm likely going to be dead if that isn't enough to change direction.

saltydog452

Bedroom and Hotel/Motel duty

Pax, haven't seen your posts in a while. And its good to see them again. You bring a bit of added value to whatever thread that you address.

Now that the flowers have been delivered, what WE rely on for domestic bedroom duty is a Kahr K-9. Its the same one as we both use to take our CHL exams. We both get some range time with it. Me much more than she tho'.

It 'travels' well and is a handy size. The, now dimmer, tritium globes are good to see at an unplanned wake up.

What is carried on body is different.

salty

WC145

I am the man of the house and my current house gun is my former duty carry - a FNP45 Tactical with a Trijicon RMR02 and a Streamlight TLR1S.

HOWEVER, that being said, I am currently transitioning to a FN PS90 with the same Trijicon sight and Streamlight light for a house and general use gun. I have retired from LE, I live in the country, I have chickens and other farm animals and my predatory concerns are more the 4 legged type than the 2 legged. I feel that the PS90 5.7x28 is a platform and caliber that better fits my needs for general "farm" defense and home security.

dayman

I like only having to keep track of one loaded gun, so the glock 19 that I cart around all day does double duty.