Which deer rifle for Indiana?

thesheepdog

The .357 is a very good round when used in a rifle. Mine has very little recoil. I killed the one on the left with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy II with the 24-inch barrel. The load was the Hornady 158 XTP bullet over 14.1 grains of W296.

That's about what my 357 Sig uses. I use 13.1 grains on AA No. 9 with 115gr and 124gr XTP's. Maybe I should take it hunting with me? :)

justgetrdone

44 mag

Everyone is trying to decide the perfect Indiana pistol cartridge for a rifle for deer hunting.

Well its hard to say for the people that buy their ammo at walmart.

Now, for the people that load, 44 mag all the way, the model 77/44 can and is being pushed to 2100 ftps. This means very little meat damage, very little hair pull into the meat and with massive lung and heart damage. Simple put, dropps them right in their tracks, every time.

Its all in the recipe

study

Best hunting to everyone!

batmann

I live in IN and I use a Marlin in .44 Mag loaded with Georgia Arms 240 gr GD HP and hav yet to need a second shot. I try keep my shots under 25 yrds, but will take one at 50 yrds IF I have a clear shot. The scope is a Nikon Pro Staff. All in all, a pretty handy package for where I hunt (Brown County).

Colonel Custer

.357 magnum

I suggest this b/c you have lots of ammo choices (includimg) .38 cal options.
I'm always looking at Henry Big Boys. The .357 mag is a stout round that won't destroy excess meat like a 454 would. I assume you wan't to hunt for the meat rather than the trophy. Alot of people want the big bang but you destroy the tender high quality meat due to the damage caused by the temporary cavity from larger rounds.