Which deer rifle for Indiana?

rambokid

I used a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag with a 240 grain XTP this year and loved it. The doe I shot didnt have a chance. :)

Old Time Hunter

44 Mag

Common sense should make this the go to cartridge for general deer hunting in a state with restrictive laws.

Heck my .44 Mag chambered Winchester Trapper has taken 13 Whitetail in states that I could use anything, it has taken one Black Bear in Quebec, and one nice Bull Elk up in the Bitter Roots, down by the Clark Fork in Montana. My son has a .44 Mag chambered '94 Winchester Black Shadow that he has harvested three nice Whitetail bucks, one of which was a good 125 yard shot that went down with a single shot. Even if you do not handload the .44 Mag Remingtons 240 grain JSP not the JHP's will be good out of the rifles, I get 1795 fps out of my Trapper and me son's 20" barrel Black Shadow yields 1830 fps...both plenty with a 240 grain bullet. My handloads with 24.5 grains of H110 and Speer 240 JSP's I get 1844 fps out of my Trapper and my son gets 1890 fps out his Black Shadow.

Even though I tend to use one of my .444's as a primary woods hunting rifle, I still grab the .44 Trapper for still hunting... it is just too handy.

This is the one my son got with his Black Shadow at 125 yards:

1118071509.jpg

and this the bullet after it passed from front breastbone and recovered in the right rear hip:

444bulletrecoveryfromseconddeer1124.jpg

by the way, my son is 6'6" tall.

Jamesaritchie

I like either the .357 Magnum, or the .44 Magnum. Bot are quality cartridges, both legal to hunt with in Indiana, and you can use the same ammo in a rifle/revolver combination.

I don't think I've ever had a shot over 150, and most are around forty yards or so. Some are much closer than this.

Of course, there's noting wrong with using a shotgun. A good rifled barrel in either twenty or twelve gauge is accurate, tears through brush extremely well, and has a LOT of stopping power.

The primary factor for me isn't caliber, it's finding a rifle/handgun/shotgun that you love shooting.

But it's real hard to beat a .357 or .44 Mag lever action, and a matchng sidearm.

Ozzieman

Due to the availability of ammo and guns in the caliber,
If you reload I would go with 45 LC.
If you don’t reload I would go with the 44 Mag.
Ruger makes a nice (although I haven't fired one yet) 44 mag bolt gun the 77/44 which uses the rotary mag like the 10/22 and its stainless with a composite stock.
Plus there are a lot of used lever actions in 44 and 45.

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7744/index.html

Last edited:

Vacohee

Limitations of the .357 Magnum

Clearly, the new Indiana regulation makes the .357 Mag legal for deer hunting, however that doesn't mean that it would be a good choice. I like the old COL Townsend Whelen rule that a deer rifle bullet should have a minimum of 1,000 foot pounds of energy at whatever range you intend to shoot the deer. Factory loads for the .357 Mag are going to have 700 - 800 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle from a rifle-length barrel. Careful handloading with slower powders can bring this up to maybe 1,200 foot pounds. However, who is going to shoot a deer at point-blank range? Factory loads from the .44 magnum, on the other hand, will deliver about 1,600 foot pounds of muzzle energy from a rifle barrel and will still be just above 1,000 foot pounds at 100 yards. There really isn't any comparison. In some states (for example, Maryland) the .357 Mag wouldn't even be a legal rifle chambering for deer because of its low power. Furthermore, the .44 Mag has a well-established reputation as a short-range deer round. I say, with respect, that the Indiana deer rifle regulations were not well considered. Most of the chamberings listed, by way of example, in the regs do not meet the COL Whelen threshold of adequacy for deer chamberings. Only a very few powerful handgun rounds will be both compatible with the regulations and adequately powerful. I presume that the intent of the framers of the underlying legislation was to limit deer rifles to chamberings with very high trajectories such that ranges would be limited and public safety protected. If I had been Emperor of Indiana and seeking to achieve the same result I would have put a .458 minimum caliber limitation on deer rifles. This would have the effect of making the .45-70 and .450 Marlin the calibers of choice. People would, of course, be legally permitted to use the larger African rounds, but--what with the recoil, expense and general silliness--few would.

ronto

First choice would be move to a free State...I can't beleive the classic deer hunting round 30-30 is outlawed...What is the logic behind behind this dumb law, other than harrasment?

anfnfalfan

I feel ya man.....grew up and lived in Indiana for 21 years, in Vincennes. I cant believe they finally changed the laws a bit, its atleast a start! My brother-in-law still lives there, and hes looking for a 44-40 or 45 casull. I wouldnt do much bigger than 45 caliber, youll butcher the deer where it drops!

gunrunner1

100_0404.jpg

The .357 is a very good round when used in a rifle. Mine has very little recoil. I killed the one on the left with a Marlin 1894 Cowboy II with the 24-inch barrel. The load was the Hornady 158 XTP bullet over 14.1 grains of W296.

1911rocks

458 SOCOM

I tried my 458 SOCOM this year down near Petersburg, IN (Outside Patoka) and one shot one kill, done deal. It was a RRA LAR458

graniteob

I like the 460S&W out of a 20" barrel encore rifle. Not a ton of range but good knockdown power and velocity from a pistol cartridge.

hooligan1

jchappelle said what I've been thinking,about moving:( instead of that wrangle you up a Thompson Contender With a 14 inch barrel chamber for 357 Herret, you can even load it, I believe it's a 30-30-necked up for a 357 pill!!;) That dude will stomp a deer even out to 100-150 yds:) Afriend of my dad's had one, carried it in a big holster across his chest, so he could get it out clean and quick!:) 2nd 10-44 Ruger rifle!!