Which deer rifle for Indiana?

TCman

In Indiana we can use rifles for deer now if the cartridge calls into the certain specs. My dad would like one for next seasons hunt, but which hambering will I be able to shoot the flattest and have the most knockdown?

Rifles with pistol cartridges Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches. These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season. Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
.357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester
.41 Magnum
.41 Special
.44 Magnum
.44 Special .
44-40 Winchester
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.458 SOCOM
.480 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W
Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the
.30-30 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45-70 Govt.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

BuckHammer

I know a guy that's taken 2 deer with a .44 Magnum, and he's real happy with it. As for me, even though rifles are legal, I still use my 12 ga with rifled barrel.

TCman

I am also looking into the TC encore postols. We can use rifle rounds in a single shot pistol, but how is the recoil on a .243? I shot one chambered in .270 and it was absolutely miserable!

rbb50

What they seem to be saying is that if you use a rifle that uses a straight wall pistol cartridge then it has to fall under those outlined specifications.

In that case I would use a 44 magnum just fine

However if I were using a regular center fire rifle cartridge then the 7mm-08 would be my choice.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
They are saying if you want to use a rifle, you will not use a traditional centerfire rifle round. They used to allow only shotgun for deer.
Brent

johnnypi45

Yeah, it's been passed within the last couple years. My old man has been looking for the same kinda deal. He just hasn't broken down and purchased anything yet.

Petey

TCman

Handguns Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. Handguns are not permitted on any military areas. Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include: .357 Magnum .41 Magnum .44 Magnum .44 Special .45 Colt .45 Long Colt .45 Winchester Magnum .35 Remington .357 Herrett. Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.

So a .243 would be legal in an encore, but how is the recoil?

clt46910

I started out with a 45LC in a very nice Uberti Golden Boy, but was not happy with the performance and expense of the round. The gun was great and fun to shoot. I then to the 44mag in a 1894 Marlin and will stay with it for now. Would be interested in the newer high performance rounds if they came in a good lever action rifle. I want something I would be able to afford to practice with a lot. Right now the 44mag fills that roll for me.

sureshots

Enough

I would go with the 44 Mag. for pistol and the Old faithful 30-30 cal. lever action for the rifle. Both of these are very adquadate and I would not feel under armed at all. These two calibers have killed millions of deer in the past and can do the same in the future if hunters just use them. Some Hunters feel more is better, I feel enough is enough.

rbb50

Yeah that is weird I was just reading those rules and they do not allow any centerfire rifles at all and only muzzle loaders shotguns pistols or archery.

They even say it is illegal to have a pistol that is modified to have a shoulder stock on it.

j.chappell

I THINK I WOULD JUST FREAKING MOVE.

Find yourself a Lone Eagle by Magnum Reasearch. I have a Lone Eagle with a 15" barrel chambered in 7mm-08 REM. It is shorter than a 12" Contender or Encore and is more accurate than either of them. I own all three. The recoil isn’t bad but I reload and have never shot factory rifle ammunition out of it so I can’t say how that would be. I shoot 120gr Nosler BT and 120gr. Sierra Pro-Hunters. Accuracy is unbelievable and recoil is not bad at all. The stock design and weight of the pistol help tame it very well.

J.

pistol cal.

They are wanting to keep the distant the bullet travels to a minimum since it is so flat and the bullet can travel a long distance before hitting something solid (ie; person,house,livestock,etc...). At least thats how I see it.
Ohio has a similar law that only allows you to use shotguns, muzzleloaders,bows,or crossbows.

BeCoole

Don't you just love all these idiotic Fudd laws?:mad:

I swear, if it wasn't for these DNR morons, bows and some of these guns wouldn't exist.

BuckHammer

I think that it's interesting to see people that bought one of these newly legal guns, just because it was legal for them to use them on deer now. Don't get me wrong, if a hunter is more efficient with (or simply prefers) one of these newly legal rigs and has the money to spend on the new weapon, then that hunter absolutely should get it. However, I have seen a lot of people get one of these rifles that fire a pistol cartridge, kill one deer, then go back to using 12 or 20 ga. just like old times. Seems wasteful to me, so I'd just like to say that if you're gonna invest in one of these rigs, make sure that you're gonna use it. Again as I previously stated, if you are more effective or prefer one of these rifles, then by all means get one, but I would suggest that you make sure that you do actually prefer these weapons before you invest.

If I were to get a rifle for deer, it would be just like the .44 Magnum I mentioned in my first post on this thread. I believe it is a single shot Handi rifle. Simple, inexpensive, and effective.

jammin1237

get yourself a marlin 1894 cowboy colt 45 rifle, good solid gun...i sold mine to help get a marlin .45-70... i'm pretty sure it comes in several calibers though

rbb50

Rifles with pistol cartridges Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches. These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season. Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
.357 Magnum
.38-40 Winchester
.41 Magnum
.41 Special
.44 Magnum
.44 Special .
44-40 Winchester
.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.458 SOCOM
.480 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W
Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the
.30-30 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45-70 Govt.

My little custom pistol I built would not even qualify in that state when they say it has to be at least a 357 caliber.

pscope.jpg

It shoots a 7.7mmX58 Jap round which is a 31 caliber and shoots 125, 150 and 180-grain Sierra pro hunter bullets accurately.

In power it is between a 308 and 30-06 but they do not even allow those for hunting there either.

Actually is is not even a pistol at all and is just classified as a rifle with a pistol grip since it has a 18 1/2 inch barrel and is 30 1/2 inches long.

Makes me glad I live in Texas I guess as I can use it to hunt down here any time.

sneaky pete

I like your suggestion of the "Lone Eagle" SSP

OLD Sneaky here: I like J.C.s suggestion of the Lone Eagle pistol and while the 7-08 is an Excellent cartridge I've got an Ordanance Technology Canon Breach(prototype for the Lone Eagle) in .357 REM. MAXMUM (Super Magnum) which takes up to 180 gr .357 diameter projectiles, I've still got around 200 rds of 180gr left and some empty brass. I used it for a Russian Boar hunt in Texas a couple of years ago and it killed a couple very well. My optics is a Bushnell GEN-1 Holographic site with a Rising-Dot redicle. The GEN-1s have exchangable redicles. And I did buy that sling that Magnum Research used for their Lone Eagle. Since the Texas hunt I've been wanting to sell it BUT it seems that many folks don't have any idea what a Canon Breach pistol is. But that .357 Super Mag would be a very good hunting pistol in Indiana. It's still for sale. THANX--SNEAKY:)