Which bolts reset on the forward stroke?

wbw

I'm pretty new to bolts action rifles. I recently purchased a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 5.56. I really want to like this gun but the bolt action is proving to be challenging for me. After the rifle is fired, when lifting the bolt, that is apparently when the trigger gets reset. This is not a smooth movement for me. Not only do I have to take my face away from the gun, I find that it's best if I then stand to work the bolt. Then get myself reset with the rifle. If I had realized how this worked I probably would not have gotten the gun. (There were none available locally and it was ordered for me, so I didn't get to play with one before purchase).

So are there rifles chambered in 5.56 that reset the trigger when pushing the bolt forward? Seems like something like that would be better suited for me. I also just purchased an AR-15 but I still would like to have a bolt action that would allow me to maintain my shooting position if possible.

Is there such a creature? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Sharkbite

Most (95%ish) cock the rifle on lifting the bolt handle. I think the Enfield cocked on closing.

Im sure the issue you are having is technique based. I run all my bolt action rifles from the shoulder, reguardless of position.

On a short action like the MVP in 223 You should not even have to break your face off the stock.

wbw

Maybe I need to take a few lessons with someone that knows what they're doing. I really like the rifle. It's got a FO front sight and it takes AR-15 mags. It's a neat little rifle. I'm just put off by the operation. And as you suggest, the problem may be me.

chris in va

Probably needs 'breaking in'. I know my CZ carbine with Mauser action took quite a bit of cycling and oil before it slicked up, about 1000 rounds.

It's fine to lift your face off the stock when cycling. You shouldn't have to pick it up off the table though.

jmr40

It has more to do with the individual gun than when it cocks. Some have a hard bolt lift, others much less so. I find lighter weight rifles harder to work while still keeping the gun at my shoulder since the gun tries to move.

tahunua001

it seems to me that it's a problem of training rather than anything else. unfortunately I am not aware of any cock-on-close rifles in current production. this was a feature found on a lot of military rifles up to WWII but never really took off in the civilian sector I'm afraid. I know of nothing in 223, but that's not to say that it doesn't exist somewhere.

Jim Watson

If you are shooting from a field or range position, standing, sitting, kneeling, or prone; you should be able to cycle the bolt without breaking your firing position. If you cannot, you should be operating the bolt more vigorously, it need not, should not be handled gingerly.

Shooting off a bench or bipod is harder. Which is why you see righthanded benchrest and F class shooters with left side bolt handles. But you should not have to stand up to turn the bolt even with a conventional layout.

Get someone more experienced to try it. If he agrees that it is unduly hard to operate, it might need lubrication and "break in" of the cocking cam; or in an extreme case, gunsmith adjustment. I know that Savage Shooters Supply does a "true and time" operation that eases the action.

tahunua001

Jim may be on to something, the MVPs I've picked up in stores and played with have all had pretty sloppy bolts, a bit of lube and dry firing may be in order.

4thPoint

Of all the (limited) rifles I know, only the Lee (SMLE, etc) 'cock on closing'. The Brits did that because it was thought to be an advantage in combat not to have to fight the spring on opening and instead use the power of the arm when closing the bolt. Their studies were also responsible for the weird turn of the wrist area in the SMLE stock as well, it's there for bayonet fighting.

T. O'Heir

"...I think the Enfield cocked on closing..." Yep. In any case, hunting rifles are not the same as battle rifles. The '03 cocks on opening just like most other early bolt actions.
"...advantage in combat not to have to fight the spring on opening..." The Brits were far more concerned about the troopies not wasting ammo, but the spring aids extraction too. Mind you, the last thing any Brit officer cared about was how a rifle preformed in combat.

emcon5

No, 1903 Springfiled is cock on open.

Most common cock on close are Enfields and early model Mausers, m96 and previous.

Jim Watson

No.
The '96 Mauser was the last of that family tree to cock on closing.

The last cock on closing rifle I know of was the Remington 30S, based on the 13,14,17 Enfield.

Husqvarna

how are you working the bolt?

grabbing it with your fingers? or using the palm of your hand which I find better, more gross motorsskills

mehavey

^^^ +1 ^^^

"Slap" the bolt up using the open palm (think the Italian open-handed
salute ;) ), then close palm around bolt handle to bring it back.

tangolima

Bolt action in 5.56 - unusual.

Bolt action cocked on close - rare.

Bolt action in 5.56 cocked on close - unusually rare. Please let me know if you find one.

Most long action, 30-06 and longer, will hit your face if you work the bolt while maintaining cheek weld. You may be able to do it with 5.56. The rifle is for sporting purposes, is it not? You are not engaging in combat with it. It would be quite alright to shift your head briefly aside to work the bolt. In fact that is what soldiers did during 2 big wars.

-TL

jmr40

Most long action, 30-06 and longer, will hit your face if you work the bolt while maintaining cheek weld.

Anyone who spends a little time practicing can work with a long action rifle quite fast and still maintain cheek weld. All soldiers in WW-1 and most in WW-2 used long action bolt rifles and were taught to maintain cheek weld when shooting. I'm not quite as good as this guy, but I can get off 3 shots in under 2 seconds.

If you watch the entire video he uses 2 different rifles, one in 7X64 and the other in 300 WM. Both long actions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43aF4R0h40