What's your Opinion of the Sig P226 9mm?

Rinspeed

Just about any grease will work well but most are messy. I'm a big fan of Brian Enos' Slide Glide especially for Sigs.

sigarms228

Congratualtions as you bought one of the finest pistols EVER made!! Please post pictures when you can.

I used either Weapon Shield CLP, M-Pro 7 LPX, or Slide Glide to lubricate my SIGs though there are plenty of good quality lubes available though I would avoid anything that is light or runs off/dries quickly. SIGs like to run a little wet. To keep your P226 in the best possible condition be sure to keep the frame rails well lubed, especially just before a range session. I also coat the entire exterior of the barrel with lube along with other internals.

Here is a picture I made showing from the top down some areas you want to lube on the inside of your P226 after cleaning. The picture does not include everything to lube but areas users may often miss. You will see some wear/shiny areas after shooting your P226 along with smilies on the barrel exterior and that is normal but lubing will keep it minimized.

The "frame" rails are critical to keep well lubed because the frame of the P226 is alloy (well most are) while the slide is steel. The second picture shows the front frame rails if you are unsure what they are. It is where the slide rides on the frame.

This article goes into more detail in the link below.

http://grayguns.com/lubrication-of-sig-sauer-pistol-rails/

P226topinside2.jpg

P226-4.jpg

Last edited:

Rinspeed

Sig sucks in my opinion. Just overpriced junk. My department scrapped them after we had several frames crack. I do believe the Navy had the same problem with them as well. When my department switched over to Glocks all the problems went away. Maybe that is why over 68% of LEO prefer the Glock.

Now don't get mad at me! You asked what I thought of Sigs and I am sure you are not going to like my answer.

Glock is the number one selling combat pistol in the world and for some very good reasons. They work, they work, they work and right out of the box too. Did I mention that they work?

Clueless much. :confused:

Uncle Malice

lol. ^ :rolleyes:

The reason Glock is the number one LE pistol is because they uncut everyone else on prices, basically giving them away to get into the market.

The M&P has taken quite a bit of market share from Glock in the LE arena, and continues to grow.

Don't take this to mean that I dislike Glocks either. I don't. I own quite a few of them, but the ridiculous assessment of 'Sigs suck' is ridiculous - ESPECIALLY when referring to the German made guns.

sigarms228

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Geesh. I guess the Navy SEALs and the Secret Service have not heard about your assessment. Agencies not bound to price cosiderations to get the best weapons unlike local PDs where cost is everything.

LEOs drive more Fords/Chevys than anything else. Doesn't mean that I would ever want to own one or makes them better than Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Acura/BMW.

Apparently a lot of LEOs disagree with you also. But you certainly are entitle to your opinion.

http://policelink.monster.com/products/products/257-sig-sauer-p226

Getting back to the last question. I use Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite for the rails and the outside of the barrel on mine. Gun oil for everything else as a lubricant. I use a folded patch with gun oil for the exterior of the pistol as a final step. I do put quite a few rounds down range nearly every weekend and a good portion of them go through the P226. I know this lubrications system works for me.

Genepix

The P226 was my first semiauto and I have been extremely happy with everything about it. Now I own two. Very reliable, well built and accurate, in my personal experience. I hope you bought it!

Attachments

• Sigs.jpg
    Sigs.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 40

sigarms228

Sweet collection of P226s you have there Genepix!!

How do you like the E2 grip compared to the regular grip?? Do you shoot better with one or about the same??

Genepix

Thanks Sigarms- I always shot the older one pretty well, but when I first handled the E2, there was no doubt that it just fit my hand better. Combined with the subtle trigger change, I prefer it these days. I haven't put too much range time on her yet, primarily just due to the summer heat, but I plan on changing that shortly. Sweet pistol in my book....

Ridge_Runner_5

I just installed my E2 grips last. I was shocked at how much narrower they were. Feels closer to the size of my old Glock 19, so that's nice...

IMAG0018.jpg

rauchman

I've got a '96 P226. This was the last year of the folded stamped sheet metal slides w/ pinned breach block. I recently put an E2 grip and mine and it fits my hand much better. My buddy has 2 P226's of the same generation.

For starters, my wife's favorite pistol is the P226. She's sort of commandeered mine. Can't think of a better endorsement than that!!! :D

Seriously, I like the P226. It is VERY accurate and reliable. In my mind, when I think of a DA/SA metal pistol, I think SIG. I think they are as good as it gets in regards to metal frames and DA/SA triggers. Beretta is a close 2nd. I've shot examples of other "P" series pistols, ie; P220, P229, P228, P239. All have been very accurate and reliable. I don't think you'll go wrong w/ one.

I will say this though. I do think the idea of the "ideal" combat pistol has moved on. Consistent triggers and polymer frames and all. Glock had a lot to do with this. As much as I like my SIG, I have no problem letting my wife run w/ it. These days, my go to pistols are Glocks and M&P's. I much prefer a consistent trigger than battling a heavy DA trigger. The P226 rarely sees the range these days.

federali

Superb 226

While it's possible than an occasional lemon makes it out into consumer hands. They are great guns. My 226 has never suffered a stoppage. $600.00 is a good price and I would go for it.